Author Topic: valve job  (Read 1481 times)

chefiam1

• View Profile
valve job
« on: September 14, 2019, 02:04:39 PM »
it needs a valve job  valve inserts,valve guides ect. i have all the new parts.
so when i send it to the machine shop should i send it in pieces or put it together
with the old parts and let them take it apart? the cost of doing the valve job is 200.00
with a turn around in a week i thought that was reasonable

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: valve job
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 10:58:01 PM »
Hi Chefiam

Cam you take several pictures, and post them here! (max 850px wide).

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

don't be ashamed to show that you don't master the thing. Nobody is born taught.

Show us the pile of bits.

As for sending all stuff to the shop, if it goes disassembled I think you can even save on labor for disassembly.

Keep going on.

VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 05:38:29 AM »
G'Day chef,
I try to strip then clean the parts within reason then take them to the engineering shop when I need them to do machining work. You will then also have the option of reassembly by them or yourself and that would save some money as well if working on a budget or you want the experience in doing it yourself.
Many here will be able to help with any of the tricky parts as you have found out already.

Welcome to the Forum!
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 10:12:56 AM »
Hi Chefiam1, generaly I would strip down the cylinder heads, remove the rocker assembly, valve springs and valves. I would clean the heads of all the crap and deliver them to the machine shop in their barest form, along with the new valves, guides and seats if you have them. Engineers/machinists charge for their time the more you can do for yourself the less it will cost you.

The other advantage of this approach is that you can clean and check the rocker assemblies and etc while waiting for the machinist to do his job.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
Remember that you're taking it to a machine shop, turning up with a big lump of rust and grease won't endear you to the work force!

Get as a clean and dissembled as you can, their effort should then reflect yours...

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.