Puppeteer

Author Topic: tl2 piston  (Read 2146 times)

chefiam1

• View Profile
tl2 piston
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:53:12 PM »
after taking carbon off top of piston i noticed valve marks and pitting
should i replace it ?

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: tl2 piston
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 05:01:11 PM »
Hi Chefiam1

I suspect TL is a ListerPetter engine, is that correct?

Just give a good clean to the piston, and make new pics. After that place measures to compare to factory specs.

After that it's easier to make opinion.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 07:03:01 AM »
After cleaning were there any marks from the valves on the piston. If not, no issues but make sure you use a new head gasket and not the old one as this may bring the lot closer to the piston.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 10:08:25 AM »
Hi Chefiam1, I have to say that piston does not look good, what does the other one look like? It would appear that there has been a serious problem, either the valves have been badly adjusted so they hit the piston or the bump stop is incorrect (clearance between the top of the piston and the cylinder head). Another possibility is that the cam timing is out causing the valves to open too early or close too late causing interference between the valves and piston. Was this engine running or did you buy it as a project?

Bob

chefiam1

• View Profile
cylinders
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 04:40:40 AM »
i took the tl2 motor back from a mechanic that said he could not find parts. it was all in pieces.
now i have a problem there are no marks on the cylinders for position and number. i'm new at this
maybe someone can lead me in the right direction.

thanks

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
Hi Chefiam1, sound like you have a bit of a jigsaw puzzle to assemble. If the mechanic who disassembled it was any good he would have punched some witness marks into the cylinders and the crankcase. Look for center punch marks, a single on one and two on the other. He should have done the same with the cylinder heads, if not do not panic. The cylinders and pistons are likely to be identical and interchangeable. While it is always better to fit them back in their original positions honing the cylinders and fitting new piston rings should sort out the problem.

The first thing you need to do is get yourself a copy of the service manual, these are available from a lot of online stores depending on what country you live in. Despite what the mechanic told you spares are available, you just need to know where to look, this also depends on which country/continent you live in.

Bob

chefiam1

• View Profile
how to set the engine up
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 12:13:34 PM »
whatis the best way to work on a TL2 lister motor. the manual has it sitting
with the fan side down or can they be put on a engine stand? what is the best way.

thanks