Author Topic: Antique generator control unit  (Read 2438 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Antique generator control unit
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:34:29 AM »
Any one know what this is? (see photos) It appears to be some sort of a generator control unit, It has start and stop buttons and a large variable rheostat to adjust field winding voltage and thus output voltage. Found it in a pile of scrap in an old guys shed, gave him $30 for it. Any info much appreciated.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Antique generator control unit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 12:15:38 PM »
Hi Glort, best $30 I ever spent. A quick search online shows each gauge being worth at least what I paid for the whole unit. I still have no idea what I will use it for but it would look good in my generator shed when I build it. One problem is that the voltmeter does not go up to 240 volts, I suspect that I could overcome this with a little creative wiring and printing a new calibration for the dial. I have no idea if any of it works but will try some experiments with it and let you know.. If it`s just junk then it will become your part of your next steampunk photobooth.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
Just a thought but could this have been part of on old electric tram? Stop/go and a speed controller. Anyone know what voltage the old tram systems ran on?

Bob

olNick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 10:51:16 AM »
Hi Bob,

I have the same Ammeter (works) and frequency meter which does not since I don't have the sender/sensor.
Any chance of you poking around as to what's required, how it's wired?

tx,
nick