Author Topic: Photo host shutting down  (Read 1922 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Photo host shutting down
« on: July 31, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »
S
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:33:00 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Re: Photo host shutting down
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 01:09:09 AM »
I would think hosting them on the LEF Gallery would be the best place for them. I would be happy to download and re-upload pics as time permits. I would drop Ade a line and see if there is a way to set up a profile that other users can upload to in case anyone else wants to help with it. The info is much appreciated and the pictures make it much more useful. Maybe Ade knows of an easier way?

Once they are uploaded to a new host the links would have to be updated in the threads though.

Ade could probably tell you the best way to go about it and what would be easiest from an admin perspective. A way to keep track of what has and hasn't been moved and re-linked would be helpful as well.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 01:37:17 AM »
Z
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:33:13 PM by 38ac »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 02:41:52 AM »
F
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:33:28 PM by 38ac »

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
OK, so there are a couple of options here...

One is to load the pictures directly into the forum. This pretty much guarantees that as long as the forum survives, so do the pictures. Downside is, all photos appear at the bottom of the post (they can be embedded, but it's a tedious process) instead of inline, which can bugger up the flow of a post. Also, there's no automagic way of transferring the photos or adding them to the posts.

Second is to move to another host. LEF Coppermine is one option, but I'm not fussy who you use. It might be possible, using the magic of SQL and admin access to the server ;D to do a bulk update of posts to change the URLs, but this would require a consistent naming convention for both the original photos (e.g. all in the same folder) and the new photos. Alternatively, if they are split into different folders/albums; the same split would have to be preserved in the new photo host, for an automated update.

If the old host allows you to download your entire album as a ZIP file (or similar archive), then that would probably give you a head start in getting an alternative photo host set up.

I really don't get why people use these photo hosting sites.  In my 2 decades + on the net reading about them they seem to be more trouble than they are worth.  I have a  few domain names and a web host which I can host more data on then I could ever use and it costs me... $2.5 a week all up?

That, as you know, is pretty much what I do; but consider something like YouTube. How many people use that to store their videos, vs. just uploading them to their own server? And for every YouTube (I can only think of Vimeo off the top of my head, as an alternative), how many other video hosts have come, failed to conquer, and disappeared taking their users videos with them? Photos, being much easier, therefore attract many more pretenders to PhotoBucket's crown (loathe them or hate them, they are the market leader).

One day, YouTube will go like PhotoBucket, and start charging "low rent" users - people like me, who only have a few videos up there, and don't have ads switched on. Also, one day, they'll figure out how to block the ad blockers...

Anyway... I digress... I apologies, I just don't have the free time to handle a "one-photo/post-at-a-time" transfer; but someone makes a duplicate of the applicable album, with compatible URLs (filename and any subfolders the same), then I'll have a go at writing an update script.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »
E
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:33:55 PM by 38ac »