Puppeteer

Author Topic: LPWS3 exhaust manifold > silencer gasket  (Read 3477 times)

j-dowsett

• View Profile
LPWS3 exhaust manifold > silencer gasket
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:31:24 AM »
Hi
I'm finally putting back together the LPWS3 I have in my narrow boat.  Just getting to the final stages and realised I have no gasket for the exit of the exhaust manifold where the exhaust pipe bolts to it.

The manifold has a water channel in it which is exposed at the mating face, although this is blocked off by the opposite face on the exhaust (please see pics attached), the gasket here would be responsible for keeping the water out of the exhaust manifold so I need to get this right, however I cannot find any images or references to this gasket online.

Does anyone know where I can get this gasket, or what gasket material would be appropriate (and who supplies it in small quantities) if I have to make my own?

Many thanks
Joe
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 08:36:19 AM by j-dowsett »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: LPWS3 exhaust manifold > silencer gasket
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:52:28 AM »
Hi j-dowsett, In Australia I can buy exhaust gasket paper on fleabay: https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=exhaust+gasket+paper&_sacat=0

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »
what about using manifold sealant goop such as "Maniseal" - effectively the same material as is used to assemble wood-stoves etc.  That's what it's for?  Have a google, maybe?  Is the water under pressure?

Cheers

j-dowsett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:05:16 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, thanks, there are various gasket materials on ebay here too (uk), but most of those that come up for high temp / exhaust appear to be a mesh material core with perforated surface material so I'm uneasy about how that will work with the water.  I imagine I can find something somewhere but don't know which of the many materials is most appropriate (and on ebay particularly the descriptions aren't all that helpful).

Yes, the water is for a closed coolant system so it's under typical coolant system pressure.

A liquid gasket goo thing might indeed be an option.  Certainly in the short term (since we're aiming to see if it'll run again on Wednesday) I've made an aluminium plate which I'll use with gasket sealant stuff to sit sandwiched between the two (and which will block the water channel).  I've additionally made a second aluminium plate to sit on the silencer side (ie not in contact with the water) of my first plate and on this one I've cut a small channel out of the bottom - obviously this will leak some exhaust but I'm initially more concerned about water leak and hopefully this will allow me to see if my gasket isn't sealing the water channel fully.  I'll not seal this second plate so I should also be able to take the silencer off to look and see if I've any water leaking.

I was just after any suggestions for if there was something more 'official', but who knows, if my aluminium plate with gasket goo seems to work then maybe I'll end up with this as a long term solution.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
Hi j-dowsett, the appropriate choice of gasket material is all down to the temperatures at which it needs to run. If I was looking for a permanent solution to your problem, I would be looking to have the mating surfaces machined flat and then using an annealed copper gasket between them, ideally with a high temperature gasket sealant.

Aluminium would not be my first choice because the mixture of heat/water and dissimilar metals will case it to corrode very quickly.

Bob

j-dowsett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 04:18:53 PM »
Hi j-dowsett, the appropriate choice of gasket material is all down to the temperatures at which it needs to run. If I was looking for a permanent solution to your problem, I would be looking to have the mating surfaces machined flat and then using an annealed copper gasket between them, ideally with a high temperature gasket sealant.

Aluminium would not be my first choice because the mixture of heat/water and dissimilar metals will case it to corrode very quickly.

Bob

Thanks!  That's very helpful to know not to accidentally let it become a permanent solution!
I'll have to hunt around and see if I can find someone to help me, the copper sounds like a good way to go.

Cheers
Joe

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 05:49:24 PM »
Copper filled silicone (the highest temperature rated silicone) from Permatex comes to mind...with no gasket at all.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 11:28:37 AM »
You could check with Sleeman Hawken. Be aware that they are usually quite proud of what they sell.
http://www.sleeman-hawken.co.uk/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:57:41 PM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

j-dowsett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 05:02:08 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, it's good to have a few things to pursue!
Fingers crossed she decides to run tomorrow :)