Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

compression/gasket/something = not firing up

(1/3) > >>

tyssniffen:
So, after attempting to deal with my big carbon build up after a couple hundred hours on WVO without a good water intake system, I've now purchased the new gasket and am trying to get it all back together and running.

I put the new gasket in, got everything cranked down tight, and no go.  When I pull the valve-holder, I can keep cranking past what would should stop it if it didn't fire up. 

So I pulled off the head again and what I think I see is fuel going beyond the ring. Image here:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/--b5nWvvF8UU/XTEn7ej9EtI/AAAAAAAASJc/VVr3eGT9SsIbteoh5DAKuG7GQ_5SfM-XgCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_2329.JPG

you can also kind of see it on the gasket and under the gasket in this image:
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BuopP7dTblw/XTEn7AvW2YI/AAAAAAAASJY/OG-PSibxj9M446Nq9e-NieJ5c56VHUG4wCLcBGAs/s1600/IMG_2331.JPG

That would indicate the gasket not working right, correct? 

Did I put it in wrong? Am I supposed to use some other goop as well?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree here? 

sirpedrosa:
Hi Tyssniffen

This head gasket is a little strange for this cylinder. It is plugging the cooling channels of the cylinder.

Is that really so? Or are you putting a 6-bolt head gasket into a 4-bolt cylinder?

The torque wrench is extremely important, as said by Glort.

BR
VP

38ac:
Hard to tell from the photos but it appears that you have the gasket with all 4 of the stud holes enlarged for the 2 OEM Lister alignment bushings? Those are an attempt at making the gasket idiot proof on a CS but cause problems on India 5 stud engines without the guides. Look closely at your second picture lower left side of the fire ring, you can see where it is not compressed. Also check the head surface to see if it is flat. If you have a lot of liner protrusion and the head was pulled down tight on a soft India gasket it will not be flat and that also causes problems with that style head gasket. Also be certain that you have tbe correct gasket for your cylinder size.

ajaffa1:
Hi Tyssniffen, I to have concerns about your choice of gasket. please see the attached photo of a proper Lister/Listeroid gasket. My concern is not that your gasket will leak but is in regards to the bump setting. For a diesel engine to cause ignition by compression alone it is essential that the gap between the piston and cylinder head be correct at top dead center(Bump setting)

If your new gasket is of a different thickness to the original, the bump setting will be incorrect, if it is too thin then you will have excessive compression and damage your big end bearing/piston/small end bush and possibly your valves; If it is too thick then you will have insufficient compression to light off the fuel. Bump clearance is adjusted by adding or removing shims at the bottom of the cylinder.

I would firstly check that the new gasket you have is compatible (I have doubts), once you have confirmed that you are happy with your new head gasket check the bump clearance, this is done by cutting two pieces of identical length solder or plastigauge,
Place them on top of the piston, either side, as close as you can get them to directly above the gudgeon pin/wrist pin. Now torque down your head and crank the engine over. Remove the cylinder head and measure the thickness of the now compressed solder/plastigauge. You need to be aiming for between 45 and 50 thousands of an inch. Personally I would aim for 50 thou and re torque the head after a few hours, this is likely to bring the bump down a little as the new head gasket beds in.

Bob

ajaffa1:
No Buddy, it`s just sat on my dewalt saw out feed table, glad I had one in stock to show him what he should have.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version