Author Topic: oil sump intake screen blockage  (Read 4196 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
oil sump intake screen blockage
« on: July 17, 2019, 08:54:18 PM »
I was changing oil at 1850 hours a few days ago, and removed the sump oil intake screen to clean it.
I had only removed it once before on the initial cleaning/reassembly.

On inspection, there appeared to be something  INSIDE the screen that would not wash out.
The foreign object could move from one end of the screen to the other and was nearly the ID of the screen.
When shaken, it moved from mid-screen to the threaded end, made of steel (not brass) in this listeroid. I had to use a rod to dislodge it from the threaded end, pushing it back into the screen.
The object was larger in diameter than the threaded end, so could not be removed. Whatever it was, how did it get in there?

I cut the end off the screen to get this thing out and discovered it was a magnet, cylindrical and with tapered rounded ends and shaped like a large very smooth rat turd. I suppose it seemed like a good idea to the manufacturers, but it could very easily migrate to the threaded end of the screen assy and effectively shut off oil flow. Sure glad it did not! With the magnet/oil shut off valve removed, I re-closed and re-installed the intake screen thinking I had dodged a very large bullet!

I had early on put a couple of magnets in the sump, so this OEM one now sits on my shop window sill as a reminder that with a listeroid, ANYTHING is possible!
Cheers
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: oil sump intake screen blockage
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:35 AM »
My first car was a Mini, it had a magnet that was built into the sump oil drain plug, at every oil change I would wipe off a tiny amount of very fine steel dust. I suspect that for every gram that got captured by the magnet there were ten grams captured by the oil filter.

If I was going to fit a magnet in a lister/listeroid I would be attaching it to the sump drain plug, this won`t tell you what is going on but will give you an indication if you are experiencing an increase in wear between oil changes.

Bob

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 05:34:53 PM »
Apparently I did not make myself clear enough in the original post. My intention was to alert listeroid owners of a potential blockage in the oil intake screen caused by a well-intentioned placement (by the manufacturer) of a magnet inside of said screen. The magnet could easily migrate and cause a total blockage of the oil intake pipe. Might be worth a check on your engine.
The efficacy if a sump magnet was not the subject.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

miniman82

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:56:27 PM »
My first car was a Mini, it had a magnet that was built into the sump oil drain plug, at every oil change I would wipe off a tiny amount of very fine steel dust. I suspect that for every gram that got captured by the magnet there were ten grams captured by the oil filter.

And that's just the ferrous stuff.

The main problem is the gearbox shares the same oil as the engine, so each time you shift gears the syncro rings wear just a little and that material also goes through the engine bearings and is NOT picked up by the magnets. I'm not messing around with my A-series this time around, I have a washable main filter with built in magnets, magnetic drain plugs, and an inline magnetic particle trap that was designed for hydraulic systems. Hope the thing lasts, it's in my '72 Innocenti Mini.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
Somebody on here once said that the only thing consistent with Listeroids is they are inconsistent. I have seen all manner of screens on the oil pickups, most of them junk but never a magnet inside of one.
Add it to the long list of reasons to  tear down a Listeroid before using it. To correct poor assembly if for no other reason.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 11:22:49 PM »
Hugh's surprising magnet warning is the first time anyone has reported finding a magnet behind the oil screen on this forum or microcogen.  "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." - Thoreau  An interesting philosophy for engine manufacturing.

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 02:18:49 PM »
The ironically named " Tuff Torque" transaxle is slipping bad so I yanked that out this afternoon and I'll give that a going through.

Thats strange normally they have 2 magnets in them 1 in the bottom of the case and 1 in the plastic  filler plug. Replacement recomended oil is 5w-40 synthetic.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
 Oops wrong topic
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:45:43 PM by 38ac »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 06:58:03 PM »
Apparently I did not make myself clear enough in the original post.
The efficacy if a sump magnet was not the subject.
Cheers,
Hugh

The entire universe is prim and proper subject material for any topic on any forum on this site.
Think of it as a chat room or a ladies circle meeting and you will learn how to get along with it ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
Thanks Butch
I forgot!  :-X  ;)
1963 BMW R-27 project

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 02:44:11 AM »
 ,,and once more you have to put words in my mouth in an effort make your point.  Talk about anything you want, I could care less. The site has even provided a place to do it. My point continues to be why must every topic turned into a
 free for all when space has been provided for it? Why have
 20 forums? Why have a general discussion forum?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 02:47:20 AM by 38ac »

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 08:55:43 AM »
Hi Butch

It's summer, enjoy the sun and have a fresh drink. And pay attention to the short stick...

I have some magnets collected from loud speakers. Anyone intersted?

Have a sunny day.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 12:20:27 PM »
 VP all is good here with another day of joyfull retirement planned.😄

Glort I get no pleasure from wearing out keyboards nor repeating myself nor am I subject to your court. Try READING what I already have posted on this subject. Your retaliations do not speak to the issue I bring up which is (once more for your ease of reading) the mucking up of on-topic posts and not off topic banter in general.

Hugh.
 sincere apologies for my part in thinning out your very informative post with gobbly gook,  I will obstain in the future.😉

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 11:32:58 AM »
Gentlemen, please calm down. I total understand the point raised by 38ac that we tend to go off topic a bit, sometimes a lot. I have read all of his educational posts and have learned a lot and I totally respect his position.

I would liken what this forum provides to someone wanting to talk to the local mechanic, he goes to the local pub/bar on Friday night knowing that the mechanic will be there. He buys the mechanic a beer and asks him why the car is making a nasty noise and how to fix it, the local engineer tells him what he needs to know. Should the conversation stop there or should they have another beer and discus: politics/religion/how their families are going/where they went or are going on holiday and etc? Of course they should.

For me the nearest bar is a 70 Km round trip, so this forum provides not only technical knowledge and experience but also a lot of human interaction, without it I would have gone crazy several years ago. Through this forum I have made several lifetime friends and have tried to help others with both their personal and technical problems, if we go a bit off topic sometimes that`s a price worth paying for supporting one another and much more interesting than simply paying for and downloading the service manual from some website.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
Bob and all comunity

Now you can realise why you where the choosen!

Someone has to hold the fire extinguisher!

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).