Author Topic: Ideas on use?  (Read 2137 times)

JD84

• View Profile
Ideas on use?
« on: July 03, 2019, 09:34:34 AM »
Hi all,

I now have my D in full working order and running in my desired rotation.

As much as I like having a crank up now and then and tinkering, I feel as they were once workhorses they should be put to work.

Has anyone any ideas on what I could use this engine to power? Its the 2hp version with no rad only hopper.

Thanks all in advance!

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Ideas on use?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:43:06 PM »
As said a fan will give it a good workout and provides a bit of comfort. It doesn't take much of a load to place a big burden on a D.  I have an old belt drive furnace fan that I run with mine, it keeps the governor on the D right at the stops and quickly brings the hopper to a boil. Other possibilities are a pump if you need to irrigate the garden. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:43:25 AM »
At rallies we go to there is always water being pumped around in a loop using so many different style of pumps, old car generators lighting up 12v lights and running small fans but I was going to make a Prony Brake. This with a bit of stuffing around with weights can load up the engine and when everything is done in scale give you a reading by changing the position of the weight on a long arm tell you what hp you are using. Someone good at maths and a search on YouTube will give you some ideas on that.
We have a Buzacott Farm Pumper engine we are taking to the Rusty Iron Rally this year but with no water pump attached as I am trying to get the tractor finished for his debut painted. I have 2 pumps I intend to attach to it. One off a 4" flat belt pulley which runs a 1/4 speed of the engine and this will drive a centrifical pump and the other end has a bull wheel that will drive a reciprocating pump, that should load Flo up nicely.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

JD84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 09:04:10 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions, made an intresting read - you guys really are a wealth of knowledge!

All sounds great, I would like to have a go at it all. Something electrical, certainly sounds possible. And the measuring of torque sounds really intresting! I may need to get some more engines! 😁

To be honest, I have never been to a rally! Maybe in the summer I will pay one on a vist.

guest23837

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
There was an episode of Shed and Buried on TV in the UK where Sam Lovegrove made a tennis ball launcher out of a Lister D. You have endless possibilities hoping you will share some photos when you get it done.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
Rallies are a heap of fun. We started about 8 years ago and if you think you can stop at one engine you are in for a rude shock, start making more room then build another shed. Not sure where abouts you are in this wide world, but the Rally shows are about to start big time here in Oz with our first one in less then 2 weeks. We are also into tractors and mowers so have possibly too many toys and still growing. Here we join Clubs and this gives us many contacts within the Club as well as other clubs to get info and great Forums like this are very beneficial for info and parts. Being in a Club also covers you with insurances traveling to and from Rallies and public liability.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
We are thinking of doing the Clarendon Classic again this year but won't know until it gets closer. If you live just around the corner from the Menangle show you should be able to drive one home and hide it under the house.  ;D
We tend to like all the toys on show both new and old so we are easily pleased but with the trucks the old ones have far more appeal. The traction engines and portables are just fascinating to watch and they always have a huge turn out of them at Clarendon.
We are heading home soon from Sydney then have a day and a half to get our stuff together for the Yesteryear truck Show at Wauchope.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 12:31:28 PM »
Not too sure if there was a rally in Sydney this weekend. Been busy with the painting of the tractor then work stuffing up some fun time and now on a quick holiday so I never looked for any rallies, sorry.
Sometimes most rallies are listed on the TOMM site and usually in the Forum. If you are not already on that one join and have a look. It is a bit slower than other Forums at the moment but many of the guys on Smokstak are there too.