Puppeteer

Author Topic: Fuel lines - Banjo Union & Bolt  (Read 1876 times)

Ariel

• View Profile
Fuel lines - Banjo Union & Bolt
« on: June 30, 2019, 05:34:03 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here with a Lister HA2M dated 1959 in my canal boat.

When I purchased the boat in 2009, it had a gravity feed system so fuel was manually pumped up from the main tank to a top tank in the engine room.

I'm currently overhauling the engine room, a complete clean and repaint and to gain more space in the engine room I've removed the top gravity feed tank and I'm in the process of changing it to a lift pump feed.

I've mounted the lift pump on to the engine but noticed the feed from the pump to the filter is very close to the oil filler on the crank case door, and that also the 3/8" copper pipe that I'll be using will have to pretty much double back on itself to go towards the Purolator fuel filter.

I've ordered the new 3/8" copper pipe and all of the necessary compression fittings, apart from the banjo union and bolt for the fuel lift pump which has a 1/2" UNF connection. I've searched for hours for a suitable banjo kit but have found nothing but unions with hose tails which isn't what I need.

My question is...

Does a  banjo union with a 1/2" threaded UNF male or BSP male joint exist?

If anyone can help point me in the right direction it'd be very much appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:38:26 PM by Ariel »

listeroil

• View Profile
Re: Fuel lines - Banjo Union & Bolt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:01:19 AM »
Hi Ariel
Welcome to the forum. I dont think you will find a 1/2 unf banjo with a compression fitting for 3/8 pipe.  Thats a big pipe diameter to be using. I think with a pump you could easily use 5/16 or 8mm.   Ive posted these pictures of a Lister alpha engine that I rebuilt a couple of years ago for a local fisherman. Its a 2000cc engine and only uses 8mm pipe and the connections to the pump and filter are tube nut and olive. The other pipe the black rubber one was supplied by our local hydraulic pipe maker. They can be very helpful and have access to gazillions of fittings.  Also nothing wrong with using a flanged banjo fitting and some nice new braided hose after all that is what they are made for like eBay item number:283371149494
Mick

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Fuel lines - Banjo Union & Bolt
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:20:08 AM »
Hi Ariel and welcome, I have a couple of old brass banjo fittings in the shed. These are the old type with the copper pipe soldered in place, it would be easy to warm them up with a blowlamp and remove the old pipe, you could then drill out the hole and solder in your 3/8" pipe. I`m not sure if I have a suitable banjo bolt, I`ll have a look in the morning and post some pics.

Bob