Puppeteer

Author Topic: CS6 loose flywheel  (Read 5734 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: CS6 loose flywheel
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 02:16:26 AM »
Bruce, at some point, maybe from day one? Lister changed to a bronze backed shell for the heavy flywheel 6/1 and all 8/1 engines. I have read differing accounts of upper only, or both and when it was implemented Kevin is as knowledgeable as anyone about them maybe he will chime in.
I wouldn't loose any sleep over having the softer shells in your engine. However you might want to have a set on hand just in case.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 02:22:28 AM »
Thanks, 38ac, much appreciated. I keep stalling the heavy flywheel project as lifting them onto the crank in my small engine room is a bear, and I've already had my left leg bit by a falling flywheel.

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2019, 09:17:52 AM »
The ones I have seen locally used a QD bushing type SD. The large end of the taper for that bushing is 2.187 thus not nearly as much material must be removed as compared to a standard taperlock.  So far as. I know it was very successful.

Would you please have a part number for that item, and a link to a supplier

Here is another thought to consider. What if a metric version of this item QD bushing (50 mm I/D) was used? This would then allow a  damaged crankshaft to also be reclaimed at the same time (a minor benefit would also be that the subsequent machining of the crankshaft would remove any light rust pitting and give it an as new appearance on the exposed surfaces). Granted a modified starting handle would also be needed, to suit the now 50 mm diameter shaft

Then taking it a step further, the above modification would also then allow under-size regrinds on the main bearing journals, granted replacement sealing rings would also be required.

This would allow the original crankshaft to be retained :)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2019, 09:58:55 AM »
Hi listard-jp2, it would be perfectly possible to regrind the crankshaft and fit metric taper lock bushes, the problem is that the main crankshaft bushes only come in one size. This leaves you with only two choices 1. find a metric taper bearing that will fit or 2. learn Babbitt casting and make your own undersized bushes.

Another possibility would be to only grind the shaft exposed outside of the crankcase leaving the existing bearing surface as it is. I guess it depends how much wear there is in the main crank journals.

Bob