Puppeteer

Author Topic: 8-1 START-O-MATIC  (Read 4785 times)

Buryan

• View Profile
8-1 START-O-MATIC
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
WHEN I eventually, if I live long enough, re-build my Lister 8-1 Start-o-matic, I KNOW I will need someone to re-build the two boxes of gubbins.  I have lots and lots of gubbins in their naked, taken to bits state, but it all needs putting back together again and repairing where necessary and setting up ready to go straight back.  It was taken to bits in order that the boxes could be galvanised and that was about seven years ago!  Could anyone see themselves up for that task, please?  My electrical skills are just not good enough and never will be.  A rough quote would be gratefully received.  Thank you very much to anyone prepared for such a challenge.

Buryan aka Kenneth!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: 8-1 START-O-MATIC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:17:34 AM »
Hi Buryan, first question has to be what country do you live in?  I`m in Australia and would be happy to do the work just for fun, provided you pay for the materials/spares used. The problem with that could be the cost of shipping heavy components around the world.

Bob

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:19:25 PM »
Hi Butyan
I live in the UK and would be prepared to give it a go.  Whether it can be rebuilt depends on the condition of the parts you have. A lot of the bits are bullet proof and never wear out.  The main contactor contacts are the real problem they are unobtainable.  If yours are in good nick it should be possible to rebuild it.  Can you post pictures of all your bits especially the main contactor.

I have rebuilt 2 of these control boxes in the past heres some pictures of the last one I rebuilt 6 years ago, and a picture of a top box with a rewound resistor that I rewound.
Mick

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:25:22 PM by listeroil »

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »
Curious as to what you used as resistance wire . I rewound the field resistor in mine quite some years ago and ended up using 0.8 MIG welding wire as there was nothing here suitable for it.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:05:46 PM »
I used  constantan wire otherwise known as copper nickel 56/44 or eurica wire. I used the same diameter as the original.  I think the resistor shown in the picture was 12 ohms and used 0.8mm wire.  It is available in small amounts from.

https://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/constantan.html

This is the wire I used:-

125g 0.8mm Copper Nickel Wire
Ref: CN0800-125
Price: £11.05 Exc VAT (£13.26 Inc 20% VAT)
125 gram reel of 0.80mm 21 SWG Bare Copper Nickel Wire (Copper Nickel = Constantan = Eureka)
Data: approx: 0.975 ohms per metre, 125g = approx 28 metres

This is enough to do 2 resistors.

They also sell:-
OXIDIZED CONSTANTAN / copper/nickel
THE OXIDIZED SURFACE IS NON CONDUCTIVE
56/44 copper/nickel
This might be a better choice they didnt sell this when I rewound my resistor about 12 years ago.

Mick

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 12:04:28 AM »
Nice work Listeroil. When I rebuilt my SOM the main line contactor relay coil was burned out, I found several DIN rail mounted motor starter relays that would be good replacements. Trouble was that they were all too tall to fit inside the original control panel so I chose to dismantle the original and rewind the solenoid coil, worked out OK.

In light of the drive towards miniaturizing everything, I wonder if the size of motor starter relays has shrunk.

Bob

Buryan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »
Bob - thank you very much - I am in Cornwall in the UK! 

What a beautiful job, Mick and thank you very much for your kind potential help - whereabout are you please?

Best wishes,
Kenneth.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 06:21:50 PM »
Hi Buryan
Believe it or not Cornwall about 800 meters from the Eden project.
Mick

Buryan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 11:11:19 PM »
Mick - how amazing that you live next the Eden!  I am near Land's End and in a quarter of a century have still not got to Eden - and I am a gardener!

At some point, I could bring the whole lot up to you if you were prepared to have a look at it?

With best wishes,

Kenneth.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 09:51:51 PM »
Hi Kenneth
I will PM you my personal details and we can arrange a meet.  I can probably get you a free trip round Eden.  I have a friend who works there and employees are allowed to admit friends and family for nothing.
Mick