Puppeteer

Author Topic: Excited soon-to-be caretaker.....  (Read 11194 times)

dkmc

• View Profile
Re: Excited soon-to-be caretaker.....
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
So, Camshaft removal......
Grind off the mushed end of the pin thru the collar?
Replace with a split shaft collar? Will that hold sufficiently?

Also, what do folks use to remove the Cylinder-Head studs?
I'm not liking my first thoughts of a small pipe wrench, don't want to mark them up.
Double nut the tops?

It was more work THINKING about getting this 6/1 torn down that actually doing it. Sorta reminds me of taking apart an over
grown Briggs & Stratton, except the parts are a lot bigger. No crazy surprises in the tear down, and keeping a tally on sand found.
Most of the nuts on studs were not very tight at all, save the head stud nuts. Too loose really.
Having fun........so far (I think).
 :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:33:51 PM by dkmc »
Machinist, fabricator, designer, fixer

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
 That pin is tapered, a close inspection should reveal the snaller end which of course is the end you tap on to remove it. The large end is usually the one beat up from being bludgeoned when it was installed.  The cylinder studs are not normally very tight. I use a pipe wrench with well worn jaws to remove them but double nuts should work also. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 01:29:36 AM »
Bravo, Dkmc.  It's the simplest diesel imaginable, and easy to tear down.   Best to have a helper for pulling the cylinder just for weight and control. 

38ac's article covers all the details quite marvelously.  Best guide ever for the CS Clones and Listeroids.  His short video clip on idler gear install for proper gear position is a must see.

Maintenance is a snap after this rebuild process; you'll know that engine's internals well.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 02:20:53 AM »

Thanks Butch, if I have to I'll modify the jaws on one of the pipe wrenches to prevent 'knurling' the studs.
Yes Bruce, I binge read Butch's 12 page thread a couple times since I got the engines. Watched all his Video's several times
as well. It's a fantastic guide that keeps on giving and will for generations........Thank you Butch for all your effort and sharing
of vital info! 

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
As mentioned a pipe wrench is easy and most have one around. If you want a specific tool that would minimize damage there are stud pullers. I have several and they are usually in the $20-30 range depending on the stud size range. They do a good job but can leave marks on the studs as well depending on how tight the studs are. I believe the last set of cylinder studs I pulled I used either an 10" pipe wrench or a pair of channel lock pliers. All but one came out easily and the one only required a little persuasion after being together for 60 years.

You can always wrap the stud with cloth or paper towel to help minimize any marring.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
The studs were not tight at all, and surely not torqued into the block like I would expect.
I've managed to get it completely torn down, and got the crank in the lathe between centers. This one must be a fluke, it's pretty darn straight. Worst indicator reading I can get is .0015 on the one end. It's within .001 on either side of the throw.

I made up a Gib Key puller. It's pretty stout, but I found the material in the drop pile.  The keys didn't put up much of a fight.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:50:41 PM by dkmc »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 09:59:44 PM »
Nice gib key puller!  Looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2019, 11:31:10 PM »
The India crankshafts are either real good and straight or real bad, thankfully mostly good. I suspect the bad ones are bent during the handling of the engine after assembly as it would be a trick to get one that crooked between centers on the grinder.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2019, 03:41:35 AM »

A few more progress pictures from yesterday.....

The parts pile......

And, excited to see I was NOT cheated out of a generous helping of crank case sand!
 ::)
It only took about 20 minutes with the needle scaler to harvest this amount.
Yeesh

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2019, 05:28:06 AM »
Good progress.  A monster carbide burr owned by a friend was very effective for smoothing; it cut the cast iron flash and smoothed sharp corners like they were basswood.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2019, 07:59:04 AM »
Look at that pile of bloody sand.  That's a lesson for the rest of us.  Sheesh

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2019, 10:23:15 PM »
Good progress.  A monster carbide burr owned by a friend was very effective for smoothing; it cut the cast iron flash and smoothed sharp corners like they were basswood.

That's very interesting. You wouldn't happen to have a pic, or name of the mfgr that made that Burr would you Bruce?

Glort, your Listeroid shop manager impersonation is pretty far out!   ;D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:25:48 PM by dkmc »

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2019, 11:11:14 PM »
Alas, I didn't own the big carbide burr.  It was 1.5"  OD, about 2" long, tapered to a round 1/4" radius nose.  Expensive but the perfect too for cast iron cleanup and finishing.  Stones were very slow going.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2019, 01:19:44 AM »

Well, aside from the sand, here's another good reason to do a complete dis-assemble.
In the picture, is the piston as it came out of the cylinder. Ring gaps nearly lined up...

I've checked the crank pin and rod big end. Clearance varies between .002 and .004 depending where I measure the big end inserts across and around the bore, using a Dial Bore Gauge. Small end measures .002 total clearance with the pin. I've got the block de-burred, all threaded holes chamfered, some bits of flash removed. Now to pressure wash and coat with sealer.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2019, 10:05:24 PM »

OK, so the block is clean. Pressure washed and scrubbed. Out in the sun drying at 80+ Degrees.
I'm about ready to apply genuine GE Glyptal to the inside.
Then I watched this video......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77CKFnRHA3c

This guy says you HAVE to bake the Glyptal after applying it. If you don't, it will fail, and can flake or peel off.
Anybody here familiar with this requirement? Do you guys bake your blocks after applying this stuff??
I'm trying to figure out how I'd find something large enough to put it in, let alone the 12/2 block....
I guess I gotta stop and think about this a bit.