Author Topic: Excited soon-to-be caretaker.....  (Read 650 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Excited soon-to-be caretaker.....
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 04:52:27 PM »
Very nice steel base.  Congrats on the safe and successful trip!

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 04:59:55 PM »

Thank you Bruce!

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2019, 09:26:21 PM »
So, Camshaft removal......
Grind off the mushed end of the pin thru the collar?
Replace with a split shaft collar? Will that hold sufficiently?

Also, what do folks use to remove the Cylinder-Head studs?
I'm not liking my first thoughts of a small pipe wrench, don't want to mark them up.
Double nut the tops?

It was more work THINKING about getting this 6/1 torn down that actually doing it. Sorta reminds me of taking apart an over
grown Briggs & Stratton, except the parts are a lot bigger. No crazy surprises in the tear down, and keeping a tally on sand found.
Most of the nuts on studs were not very tight at all, save the head stud nuts. Too loose really.
Having fun........so far (I think).
 :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:33:51 PM by dkmc »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
 That pin is tapered, a close inspection should reveal the snaller end which of course is the end you tap on to remove it. The large end is usually the one beat up from being bludgeoned when it was installed.  The cylinder studs are not normally very tight. I use a pipe wrench with well worn jaws to remove them but double nuts should work also. 
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 01:29:36 AM »
Bravo, Dkmc.  It's the simplest diesel imaginable, and easy to tear down.   Best to have a helper for pulling the cylinder just for weight and control. 

38ac's article covers all the details quite marvelously.  Best guide ever for the CS Clones and Listeroids.  His short video clip on idler gear install for proper gear position is a must see.

Maintenance is a snap after this rebuild process; you'll know that engine's internals well.

dkmc

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 02:20:53 AM »

Thanks Butch, if I have to I'll modify the jaws on one of the pipe wrenches to prevent 'knurling' the studs.
Yes Bruce, I binge read Butch's 12 page thread a couple times since I got the engines. Watched all his Video's several times
as well. It's a fantastic guide that keeps on giving and will for generations........Thank you Butch for all your effort and sharing
of vital info! 

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »
As mentioned a pipe wrench is easy and most have one around. If you want a specific tool that would minimize damage there are stud pullers. I have several and they are usually in the $20-30 range depending on the stud size range. They do a good job but can leave marks on the studs as well depending on how tight the studs are. I believe the last set of cylinder studs I pulled I used either an 10" pipe wrench or a pair of channel lock pliers. All but one came out easily and the one only required a little persuasion after being together for 60 years.

You can always wrap the stud with cloth or paper towel to help minimize any marring.