Author Topic: Listers as art  (Read 5274 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Listers as art
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 07:21:48 AM »
Sounds like 'Maintenance but breakdown"  a good policy to make great gross profits and get customers off side. Share holders would love this management.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 03:33:49 PM »
The no maintenance, urgent repairs only policy was told to me by local linemen.  It's triage due to budget and staff trimming.  CEO compensation is 9.8 million dollars/yr.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 08:26:50 PM »
That does sound a bit strange.  In South Africa,  the power company doesn't do maintenance because they have no money.  This is a combination of really bad management by cronies without any relevent skills being given high end positions, and downright theft.  It has been estimated that about $35Billion has been siphoned off over the last ten years. (and that's just the elec utility, the other 20 or so state owned enteprises are almost as bad.  Our national airline and broadcaster cannot survive without government bailouts.)  Also compounding the problem is that the majority of townships (Apartheid era low income residential areas, shanty towns), owe a few $Billion in debt to the utility.  Then there is the illegal connections, where township dwellers just connect themselves to the mains, causes all sorts of problems like substations catching fire.

I could go on for days.  They don't call it darkest africa for nothing.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 09:21:17 PM »
Corrupt governance and crony rip-offs are a universal problem.  Problem is, we can only put humans in charge, and power always corrupts.  We have to find a way to get better leadership, somehow.

I noticed South Africa has 1.5% growth. That's a doubled population is 47 years, less than one lifetime.  Humans seem to think(?) that this can just keep going on.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 09:29:12 PM by BruceM »

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2019, 06:40:39 AM »
As promised to glort a pic of my CD 8hp

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2019, 07:00:46 AM »
Yep it is up around 750kgs and is why I chose those 24" OD wheels for less rolling resistance but on grass it is still heavy. Some of the guys use ride on mowers to tow their toys around with but as this transport has it's own turntable you need the skills of being able to back a B Double truck.