Lister Engines > Lister Based Generators

Startomatic wiring advice

(1/6) > >>

apbedford:
I am a newbie to the Forum, seeking advice on SOM controls.

I have an SR2 with Brush generator, 4.5Kw, which is in very good working order. It was used as a backup generator, and came with the house when we bought it 25 years ago. It was well cared for, and must have been used very infrequently. It seems a good example of the type. It has always worked perfectly reliably when I have had call to use it. However, it is button/remote start, and has no separate control panel other than the alternator cubicle. I will be moving house soon (certainly not going to leave it behind!), and would like to be able to use it as SOM rather than push start.

I have recently acquired an SOM control panel, which was for a 12V, 1.75Kw model, schematic ED6443. This isn't in particularly good condition, but appears to have most of the principal SOM components. I have several schematics from this Forum, including the SOM "generic" schematic, and have spent some time reading the excellent posts. However, I really need some help and advice.

I would like to see if it would be possible to make the necessary tests, modifications and wiring alterations to convert the set-up to SOM, really as a project, somewhat inspired by Forum members who have completely renovated control panels, but have retained the original Lister equipment - or most of it, anyway, even if not the old selenium rectifiers. Btw, these have already been removed and replaced with modern diodes on my control panel.

The current alternator cubicle contains everything necessary in the way of fuel control relays, decompression and recompression, but I have no idea how to wire in the SOM panel (if indeed it is feasible). I realise, for a start, and probably even before testing the panel for functionality, that there will have to be a voltage step down from 24V to 12V, which I believe is achieved by a rheostat (item BR on one of the diagrams).

Anyway - any thoughts, advice, diagrams, pictures and opinions gratefully received!

apbedford:
PS Here is a pic of the panel that I have available to work with.

ajaffa1:
Hi Apbedford and welcome, sounds like you have a very interesting project planned. It will be perfectly possible to convert you Lister to full SOM capability, the only item you do not have is the 24 volt starter relay which will have to replaced the starter button in your top box. I do not remember if that relay has a 12volt or 24 volt solenoid coil but a suitable modern starter relay can be purchased from any truck service department or possibly ebay.

You are going to have to get the soldering iron out and tidy up the wiring a bit and get rid of those chocolate block connectors, you are also missing an electrolytic capacitor in the top right corner. I`ll check the value of the one on my SOM and let you know.

Have you replaced the old selenium rectifier inside the generator? It`s hidden behind one of the black plastic air vents on the side of the generator head, if not this should be a priority.

Does your SR2 have the two large relays? One to open/close the fuel rack and the other to operate the decompression levers?

One word of caution, playing with 240/110 volt AC can be detrimental to your health, when that voltage is rectified and stored in the large square capacitor in the control panel, you will have a voltage in excess of 300 volts DC, that is more than enough to kill you. Please take care.

Bob

ajaffa1:
Hi Apbedford, as promised here is a photo of the smoothing capacitor you require showing 47 micro farads and 350 volt. I believe the power resistor just above it is the one used to drop the 24 volt down to 12 volts, so a 5 watt resistor at 6.8 K ohms.

The second photo shows a much neater way of fitting the modern diodes used to replace the old selenium ones.

Bob

apbedford:
Hi Bob, thank you so much for your assistance. I am away from the project right now, but will upload a pic of the set top box. It certainly has two relays for fuel and decompression, but there is another very large relay that I thought was the starter that you referred to. I’ll get this pic later today for you to have a look at.

All best
Tony

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version