Author Topic: New Watercooled Diesel Toys and energy efficent homes.  (Read 13090 times)

guest22972

New Watercooled Diesel Toys and energy efficent homes.
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
Removed at user's request
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 11:36:11 AM by AdeV »

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: New Watercooled Diesel Toys
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »
Man ! those are beauties !
I am GREEN with envy.

Those engines are of superior quality and should outlive you if cared for.
Nice acquisition.!
Keep us posted of your project.

Veggie

PS: AU law prohibits the possession of more that one Kubota RT series engine.
I would be happy to take one off your hands in order to help keep you within the law
   :police:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:59:13 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
Great bargain finds, Glort.  If you have enough room for all those panels, you'll have to start a business that needs lots of power during the day!  Generating and compressing hydrogen???

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
Well done mate, we need pictures. By the way did you ever collect that other engine i put you on to, out west?
Good news on the panels, i have a whole lot if you want.
Our energy company just changed hands, and today they just installed our two new smart meters. Don't that suck.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Winter overcast/clouds is an issue for PV planning  In my sunny climate, and home designed for minimal power use, it's easy to add enough panels to fully charge the batteries every day, even on cloudy days.  With 2350 watts I never run the generator to charge batteries anymore, I don't even have the charger hooked up. I just avoid electric cooking on dark winter days, and only do laundry and water pumping when it's sunny.  Our winters are darker now, but still, 4 days of heavy clouds happens only once or twice a winter.

I read an article on a Budist retreat center in nothern Canada that was off grid; they added LOTS of near vertical PV for winter, so that even when overcast, they could make their daily power nut for the batteries, saving a bundle in genny fuel (and noise).  You do get power when it's anything but dark, but you may need 5x or more the area in panels. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:24 AM »
Hi Glort, it is very difficult for me to politely express how much I hate you right now. I have been looking for one of those for over two years with a budget of $1,000 and you score two for that price! Shame on you.  :laugh:

It will be very interesting to see how many alternators it takes to bog down these beauties. When are you planning to start your own power company so you can export all this power to the local community?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Hi Glort, I have recovered very well from my surgery and should be starting some physio therapy next week. Narelle is just coming up to six weeks after her hysterectomy, she has been through hell but is just starting to come good, she still can`t drive or lift anything but we have been walking the dog together and things are looking good.

I`m planning to get back to the ETB rebuild next week, will make a big change from being nurse Bob!  :laugh:

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
"My own tests and experience has indicated that tilt is pretty insignifican't over all.  At my latitude at least, Tilt unless flat or vertical is about 10%.  Flat definitely works better in overcast conditions where I am and in summer too.
Atm I have Panels at 5o, 13o, 34o and 50o on my different arrays.   The direction the panels face is a much bigger  influence on generation where I am.  While North is the ideal Direction for me, If I go ahead with another garage I'm thinking I would do an easy west roof to maximise the ramp up and down generation rather than add more to the already overly high peak.  I have North and west  panels now so having some east ( morning) facing would be ideal."

With PV so cheap and batteries still quite expensive,  panel arrays just to grab AM and especially late afternoon sun do make sense.  My neighbor wants to add a west facing set; they would like to cook their evening meal on electric.  It's a pity that trackers are so expensive and maintenance prone.  For our style of off grid living in our sunny location, minimizing battery use, a large tracked array would be marvelous. But it is cheaper to just add fixed or one axis adjustable arrays.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »

The Kubota engines have much better quality control during the manufacturing process compared to the Chinese versions.
The gears driving the cam and counterbalance shafts are better machined and run at closer mesh tolerances.
Hence there tends to be much less backlash and clatter from the gear train.
Your RT125 should run a lot quieter than the Chinese counterparts.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 04:40:43 PM »
Here also, a vertical west facing array for summer 3-7pm would be a plus for electric cooking. 
Both my neighbor and I find that appealing. 

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
Odd starting problem.  Valve lash, inj. spray pattern, injection timing all come to mind. My MB 300D is notorious for having cold start issues if valves aren't right on the mark.

Pity it's so hard to get some loaded run time on a bare engine.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 01:05:59 AM »
Hi Glort, sounds like you had a very productive trip. I`m not sure how the bump clearance is set on these engines but it does sound like it might be a bit too tight. A dribbling fuel injector might also have the same effect.

Can you let me know the details of the stub shaft you need, I might be able to turn one up on my mates lathe, next week.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 05:44:12 AM »
Noise at the intake is from early intake opening while still having exhaust pressure left.  The overlap period where intake and exhaust valves are both open.  You might try increasing intake lash to retard it somewhat though that may affect maximum power. There may be a range where noise can be reduced without much affect on power do to restricted intake opening.  Worth a try, costs nothing.

My 1988 3 cylinder Kubota tractor engine has a hell of a clatter and bark, and not from the exhaust. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:33:35 PM by BruceM »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »
Hi Glort, try your local Kubota dealer, they should have the original specs for hole spacing, three holes is a bugger (four is much easier to measure). There are ways of calculating the circumference based on the distance between hole centers but I`ve forgotten them, I`m sure they are available on the internet. Failing all else a piece of paper and a ball pein hammer will produce a very good template.

I don`t recommend trying to weld anything to a brake disk, depending what they are made of, you are unlikely to achieve a strong/lasting weld.

If the BIL is too flakey to do the job in a reasonable time my offer stands. Please be very careful about doing lathe work yourself, not that I doubt your talents or determination. I spent years working heavy industrial machinery and still have all my fingers and both eyes. Some of this was skill and some down to luck, I have had awkward shaped pieces fly out of lathes, fortunately they all missed me and my fellow workers. My advice to anyone using machine tools has always been: if you are not sure about it don`t do it!

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »
I think a brake disc may crack if you ask it to accept flex loads . . .