Puppeteer

Author Topic: New Watercooled Diesel Toys and energy efficent homes.  (Read 1906 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: New Watercooled Diesel Toys
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 10:55:56 PM »
In your earlier post you said that you had it running well on veg oil, perhaps you need a blend of veg with a touch of RUG at this time of year when it is cold.

I may have said the wrong thing.  It was on the diesel that came with it initially then yesterday I put some fresh Diesel in it with a bit of veg oil.  It was on this mix after I pulled and cleaned the injector it did manage to start.  Then after a run it went back to not starting again.  I did wonder if it were somehow down on compression if the oil helped seal it up but I don't thank that is the case.

I might try a Little petrol in the fuel But I'm kind of reluctant because I would like to trace the problem. It should start on Diesel when the engine is hot as well as the mix in it which I'd guess is about 25% veg atm. I only wanted to put some lube into the Diesel but of course got carried away!

I also took the exhaust off the thing and saw no buildup in the port which is a sign the engine isn't stuffed..... or the WI did a good job as usual but I don't think the 1200 ml I put through it would work that fast.

Spose I could pull the injector out of the other engine and see how that goes. Might be better to try and start that engine first. 

My back is really sore and the rest of me aches from moving these 120+ Kg lumps around the shed so might even have a break today.
Going this morning to buy my new and long awaited welder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2019, 12:23:16 AM »
Good luck on the new welder.   I just got an oxy-acetylene rig for myself. Tanks filled yesterday, just waiting on a B tank to regulator adapter. Got it for cutting and heating (bending), but looking forward to brazing and trying some gas welding too.  Brazing and steel filler rods came to the PO today.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 06:01:38 AM »

Just bought the welder home but too buggered to even unpack it this afternoon.
The price of stick rods sure has gone up.  Wasn't my imagination either. The neighbour saw me getting the box out the car and was excited to hear it did stick , MIG and TIG.  He said to me the price of rods has gone up about 400% in the last 10 years.  I said I thought they were expensive when I looked at them in the place. 
Many years ago when I had a stick they were so cheap they were a not a concern. Now a small packet of about 8 or 12 rods is about $19.  A box is closer to $100 or more depending on which ones you want.

Wonder if that is just here or the same all over?

Makes MIG look real Cheap as the price of wire seems to have gone down over the years.
I also mentioned to Neighbour I was using the no name MIG wire and found it better than the branded stuff. He said he had found the exact same thing!.

This machine will take the full size spools but not sure if they would be the way to go or not. Might go rusty before I get to use it all. OTOH, might have so much fun with this I may burn through the wire in no time.

I was also going to look at getting a new gun for the old welder to see if I can make that decent again.  BIL or mate want to borrow my MIG and that's the one they can use. Thing was never the same when I got it back off either of them before. The new one will be a one user only..... least till I turn my toes up and then I won't be concerned.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
Hi Glort, there is a way of seasoning timber very quickly. You need to soak it in a bath of ethylene glycol (anti freeze). This is an old trick wood turners used to use. The only problem with this is that you will never ever be able to get a varnish to adhere to wood treated in this fashion.

Bob

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 07:09:51 PM »
Hi Glort, I've been running into a few cases of bad fuel recently and I was thinking that was the cause of your starting problem, but you've already investigated that, so like you I'm leaning towards the nozzle.

Sometimes after bleeding the fuel system thoroughly I like to turn the flywheel by hand very slowly and observe the injector spray pattern that way; it might tell something about the condition of the pump as well.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 01:16:58 AM »

Will, I looked at the pump output when disconnected from the injector and that looked as I expected as did the spray pattern from the injector seem as I thought it should... for what that i worth.   I could see 3 mist sprays where I thought there maybe 4 but also I was at a bad angle to observe the injector having to manually connect the starter at the other end of the machine.  3 might be the correct output or it may be 4 but what I did see was misting not squirting so it wasn't all bad if at all.

Injectors are Cheap ( surprisingly) so well worth changing the thing out as a precaution. I'll order 2 of them because as a mechanic mate is quick to say and proven correct regularly,  " Just because it's new don't mean it's good!"  I think that would hole well for China products although I have to say in my experience and that of friends, Chinese made Machinery has proven pretty damn reliable.  In any case, 90% of brand name goods are made there anyway now so you are really buying the same thing no matter what the brand. I'll look and see if I can find a pump for it as well.

I gave the machine a wind up yesterday late and it didn't want to light even with the spray of degreaser on the outside of the air filter so maybe that only worked when it was warm.
I remembered a tin of Fuel still sitting in the middle of the shed the Neighbour gave me just before I went away. He said he got it a couple of years back when working on a customers car that had misfueled.  They put a small amount of Petrol in the tank of their Diesel Vehicle.  He had it sitting around and gave it to me for my engines or to put through a burner.  I can't smell any petrol in it so whatever is in there is a small amount but I might put some in the engine as I didn't fill the tank the other day and see if that has any effect.

I only bought the Diesel I put in it a couple of weeks ago and it's been in a sealed Jerry can so it would not be off. I once got 1000L of " bad " Diesel from a marina when they pumped it out because their tank was leaking. Diesel wasn't leaking out, water was leaking in. They hadn't used the tank in a while but an inspection meant they had to repair said tank which required removing the contents first.
I got minimal water but dried and filtered the Diesel in my Veg oil processing tank then blended it with the veg oil.
Saved it all for winter and it worked real well with a Bit of ULP thrown in.

The new engines with electronic injectors I think are pretty fussy but old mechanical pumps will run on anything.  I ran my Merc Diesel on lard I heated up  to make liquid several times. Once coming back from the pump and in the heat of summer it stayed liquid and the car ran very well on it actually.

Like all my other diesels, this one will be fed Veg oil when it is set up.... and I go out and get some and process it.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »
I swear, Glort, you'd be rendering fat from Mortuaries or Kangaroos if you didn't have a supply of free used vegetable oil. 

Seriously, your alt. fuel(s) and WI writing have been a boon for many of us. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 06:39:55 AM »

I was talking to the Mechanic that works for my father the other day about cracking oil. He was quite interested in it and asked why I didn't get the plentiful supply of used oil off my father and do it. I said because veg is much easier and less work. I said if ever there was a real fuel shortage, It could be an option. Lots you can do, question is how worthwhile it is to pursue these other methods.
I might have a go at cracking again one day, see if I could get near Ed's quality and production standard.

How is you WI setup working for You Bruce?

I gave the engine a run up again today. Bit of degreasear up into the aircleaner and it started easy. I think yesterday the battery I was cranking with may have been a bit down which didn't help. It seems just that hair off starting but I still can't tell exactly what the cause is. all My diesels have always started well even when left for a year or more.

So much work to get the setup I want built. I'll get an engine that's good to go one day.
I'll have to do a pulley setup, a mounting, control panel, sort the electrics,  a better exhaust and certainly a better intake that is quieter.  I tried slipping an old car muffler and pipe over the existing muffler today and as I suspected, it made no worthwhile difference. That intake is LOUD. I think it's going to take a car muffler on that to get the racket down. I don't think there is any problem with the valve overlap, I can't detect any back pressure from the intake.

I know all this should be fun and enjoyable but right now i'm not feeling the best and it's just hard work. I am aching all over and have been since getting back and today I feel very sleepy and tired as well as my head is spinning after going some gardening.   Always ups and downs with me.
I also have so much else to do round here that's on my mind that I want to get done. Might just have to concentrate on ordering parts and making slow but constant progress.  Unfortunately procrastination on how to do things is is a problem for me, kinda like the thing a hardware company are advertising here ATM, " Fear of Mucking Up". Mine is more fear is " Fear of design I got a better idea for when I have finished and put a lot of work into it".  >:(

So many times I do things only to do them and immediately on completion think I should have done something else. Trying to be careful and think things through adds to more confusion.  I'm so useless and inept these days.   :-[
I think I'll just slap it all on some wooden beams I have, get it working in a fashion and then try and work out what I want for a final design.  At least that will allow some measurements of things like drive belts and give me some ideas for setting up exhaust/ intake etc.

I'm seriously thinking about putting another triple bay shed up the back and keeping that for all the machinery and my engines/ genny setups.  Mrs won't be hard to sell on that when there is room in the shed to put the new car she wants. Just have to win Lotto and won't have to worry about the cost of everything.
Course if I did that I'd move anyway......

Can anyone work out why I procrastinate and get myself in a tizz?   :laugh:

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 07:35:28 AM »
You're just caught in the better design issue.  The better is always the enemy of the good enough. 

My thinking now is that it takes about 3 builds to really get something close to right.  You just have to take your lumps and not whine when you have to it again...

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
Can anyone work out why I procrastinate and get myself in a tizz? 

I'll give it some thought,

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
Can anyone work out why I procrastinate and get myself in a tizz? 

I'll give it some thought,

Cheers
Stef

Take your time on that, Stef.  Don't get worked up about it . . .

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 02:14:12 PM »
Hi Glort, why do you procrastinate and get in a tizz? For exactly the same reasons that effect us all: distractions and self doubt.

You have both the machinery and the skills to bring this project to a satisfactory conclusion provided you follow a couple of simple rules. Firstly, you need to sit down with pen and paper and define the purpose of the project and what you are trying to achieve. Are you trying to build a backup generator, a full CHP system, something to take to shows? Perhaps it`s something to show off to the locals or just to piss them off. Maybe it`s just something to fill up your spare time and to stop you climbing the walls.

Second is to work out how much money you are able and willing to commit to the project. As a married man you will need to discus this with She who must be obeyed.(good luck)

Third is to decide where you are going to house your project, if it is going to be a backup generator it needs to be close enough to your home so that you can easily start it in the event of a blackout but far enough from you and the neighbors that it will not cause a noise/pollution problem, you also need to consider the cost of copper cable to your distribution board. If it is a CHP then it needs to be close enough to the house to allow easy/short pipe runs for heating. The closer it is to your home the more you will have to spend on sound deadening/vibration alleviation measures. If it is for display then it will need to have wheels so it can easily be moved, it will also require dry storage facilities between shows. If it is to impress/irritate the neighbors then it is all down to how well you know them and which of their buttons you want to push. I know that most of your proclivities are an attempt at finding  positive ways of channeling past negative events into a brighter future, so the work is therapeutic and I completely understand that as I am in the same boat but it doesn`t have to result in a bad engineering outcome.

Fourth is design, once you have worked out what the goals are it`s time to get on the internet and have a look at what other people have done. Now cross reference everything you need with what is readily/cheaply available in your area, aim for the most bang for your buck!

Five is construction/assembly. Work methodically, don`t rush, allocate as much time as you can safely allow, without it effecting your other work or personal relationships, enjoy the process. Involve as many of your family and friends as you can, people always have more respect for a community project than an individual effort and they will all walk away a lot wiser from having been exposed to you and your knowledge and experience.

Six is taking credit for what you have achieved, light the fire pit, break out the wine and sit on your arse and accept the well earned praise for doing what very few people still know how to do!

Don`t ever doubt your abilities or knowledge, I don`t!  :)

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 04:16:40 PM »

Thanks Bob.  You would make a great councillor and I mean that sincerely. Some I have seen were effing hopless and yet I have found so many friends and strangers have offered very helpful and meaningful advise that really was a benefit.

I'll go though the list here to document it.

The purpose is 2 Fold, a generator to grid tie to make up for a lack of solar generation particularly at this time of year and to switch to a stand alone backup as well.
By using an induction motor I can do both these things easily and switch between functions. 

Second is not really a problem. My Mrs lets me do whatever I want really.  Sure she protests but at the end of the day, she never stands in my way of anything I want.   She is too good for me. The main thing she protests about is where I'm going to put all my Junk. She agreed to the new lister providing I got rid of the old one as there isn't space for 2.  Must do an ad for that this week. I'm a tight arse so I regulate the purse strings farm more than she does. She is usually the one getting frustrated telling me To just buy the damn thing I need and be done with it.
When it comes to anything to do with my solar / self sufficiency endeavours, I have complete free range. She knows what we have saved with veg oil over the years with vehicles, sees how much we save with my solar infatuation and anything that makes power has a permanent blessing ans seal of pre approval.

I want to put the gen setup in the shed. If I buld a new one I'll move it up there where it will be behind my and the neighbours shed and well away from anyone.  I have a spot in mind for now, just have to clear out the crap a lot of which in that part IS hers. I would love a CHP setup but the only practical place would be too close to the neighbours. They always build houses on a near side to make it easier to run utilities from the same point so the houses are more or less in pairs on their respective blocks.  It would take a lot to put the setup there and would interfere with the layout of the outdoor bathroom I'm working on anyway.
I spent a lot of time at the last place exacting therapeutic revenge on my mongrel neighbour returning the hell they had put us through with compound interest but my Neighbours here are great and I now try my hardest NOT to annoy them in any way. 

The spot in the shed for the setup is near where the power comes in and farthest side from the closest Neighbour.... whom I Get on with like a house on fire and really don't want to upset. Not that the sound of an engine  would phase him at all but the Mrs while nice enough is definitely " Particular" about things in the neighbourhood.  I'm in the good books, will be playing caretaker for them for the next 6 weeks while they are away so don't want to spoil the high esteem and fond outlook I am held in!
 I can bolt whatever mountings to the shed floor and if need be, put a cover around it made from Cool room panel or whatever for further silencing although I don't think that will be needed.  If I muffle the intake and add a bit more silencing to the exhaust, I think the rest should be OK.  Noise wise they don't seem to hear much once they are inside the house.
The Shed is a good 25M from the house, further to the neighbours house and I will and already intended to upgrade the wiring as it is struggling to carry the output from my panels a lot of the time although I intend to remove some of the panels on the shed.

Already done a lot of research, I'm the kind that always does the homework first.  Kinda why I'm in a dither, seen a few different ways I like of doing things and trying to work out whats best for my needs and gives the best functionality. I know how I want to set up the electrical side and have bought the panel meters and switches, relays, indicator lights,  control boards etc a long while back.  That stuff I really love.

The main thing now is mounting and anchoring.  I want to go wood for quiet but steel is soooo much easier. Have already scrounged everything I need there. I Set the Motor and engine on some wooden rails this afternoon for a mock up.  Damn near killed myself just positioning them even with the help of my Crane.  Very much on my own with the family and friends. I'm the crazy mad scientist in their eyes with this and apart from the BIL machining stuff and my sparky mate who is limited in a lot of this sort of thing anyway but can wire the switchboard for me and run other HD circuits.  Thats OK, and not a concern.  Mrs seemed to have fun raising and lowering stuff with the winch on the crane while I wrestled it into place this afternoon.

I will have to make a parts list and find the measurements to have a flywheel shaft made if they are expensive to buy as I am sure they will be. I have to work slow and methodical and spending too much time on it is not a risk. I tire so easily some days that I am my own limiting factor. Putting enough rather than too much time in is the problem. I often go out and do things till I get tired, Come in, look here and have a cuppa and a it of look around on the net then go back out when I feel up to it. Some days I do an hour at a time, some days I go out all afternoon.

Hahah! Light the fire pit! Now that is one thing the mrs was not happy about today, I haven't finished that. Why not? Again, seen too many ideas on the net I like and not sure which way to jump. I don't think the boss cares much atm. She just has a yearning to sit round a warm fire and enjoy being able to be out looking at the stars at night.  She wants stones/ Pebbles as a surround. I don't want the things spreading through the lawn. I'll put them on yet another project, the outdoor bathroom and pave around the fire pit.  Of course both of these things and more have to be done by Christmas which with my lethargy is not going to be long.

I regularly doubt my abilities when I struggle to do simple things I know should be easy. Often times my theoretical knowledge out does my practical and meagre self taught skills by a substantial margin. Usually its the real basic things that cause me the most anguish.

Thanks again Bob, I appreciate the support. Ironically as usual, today marks the beginning of the month of the last 4 years of hell.
No matter how much I occupy or confuse myself with other things, you can't escape your own thoughts.
I have never been drunk or taken any recreational Drugs in my life but maybe I should make up for lost time??   :embarassed:

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »
Two things in the recreational drugs realm that where once being researched for medicinal use before the US "war on drugs" started are now being looked at again.  Pot is profoundly helpful for depression in some that have had no luck at all with Rx medication.  I can't tolerate enough THC for a big effect but do notice a nice boost in mood the day after if I'm vaping the 50/50 THC/CBD stuff in the evening to aid sleeping.  Psilocibin/magic mushrooms seem to have very long lasting benefits for depression for some.

My WI injection system is still working nicely.  I topped it up with 2 gallons of distilled water last week, have previously been using well water.  I also replaced my plastic antifreeze expansion tank, they die from UV in about 4 years. 

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »
Glort, (sp chk!) Saw your find. 1st one I've seen aside from mine. I might have a earlier version but still same basic design.
https://youtu.be/cExllSx6iqU
Do a search here for Kubota by me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 01:42:54 AM by xyzer »
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA