Author Topic: New Watercooled Diesel Toys  (Read 706 times)

glort

• View Profile
New Watercooled Diesel Toys
« on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »

After a couple of weeks wheeling and dealing, managed to pick myself up a couple of New ( to me) engines today.

https://www.kubota.com.au/product/rt125/

They are genuine Kubotas rather than knockoffs which should be a good thing. One is complete and looks in excellent condition, the other looks like it has been through 3 world wars and is missing the fuel tank but -said- to run.  For $300 for the pair ( That's $1.96 US) I was happy with the price just for the good one.

They are 12 Hp and have electric and Crank start. I have wanted a watercooled engine of this type for a long time so finally got my wish.

I intend to hook this up ti my induction motor Generator. Been playing with that for a while but wasn't really satisfied with the fit of the one I intended to use.
If the older engine does run it will be good for testing cooling setups etc.

Will try to post some pics of the actual units tomorrow.

Also managed to pick up a 5 Kw Solar inverter, 20 250W Solar a panels and 27 180W Panels.
A very Fruitful but Kind of expensive day all up. Did a job on the weekend that went better than expected so made the most of it.

Got to have a good day now and then right? Might give me something to think about to get though July.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: New Watercooled Diesel Toys
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »
Man ! those are beauties !
I am GREEN with envy.

Those engines are of superior quality and should outlive you if cared for.
Nice acquisition.!
Keep us posted of your project.

Veggie

PS: AU law prohibits the possession of more that one Kubota RT series engine.
I would be happy to take one off your hands in order to help keep you within the law
   :police:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:59:13 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
Great bargain finds, Glort.  If you have enough room for all those panels, you'll have to start a business that needs lots of power during the day!  Generating and compressing hydrogen???

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 07:11:46 AM »
Well done mate, we need pictures. By the way did you ever collect that other engine i put you on to, out west?
Good news on the panels, i have a whole lot if you want.
Our energy company just changed hands, and today they just installed our two new smart meters. Don't that suck.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »

Hi OSM,

No, unfortunately that never came off. I have an idea the guy got a better offer so pulled out of our deal. He didn't sell it to me and he didn't re list them so....

Been bit of a thing lately. few things I have gone to buy that suddenly buyers stop communicating or start playing games. One last week I made a deal with suddenly wanted to meet me in a car park, wouldn't give me his number and just started acting real Dodgy.  Yeah, I may not be able to find you after the deal but I had an idea the cops may find me with the thing.  PASS.

Another one for a similar engine I mailed about 6 times and didn't get any answer.  Guess this makes up for them.
I wasn't convinced this one would come thorough either till I had the things in the back of the ute.  Was a long way from home so I was sending the guy 30 Min ETA's of when I would be there as he said he was coming home from work to meet me.

I asked plenty of questions before I loaded them anyway.

I don't have any plans for coming north atm . Been trying to all year basically but things keep coming up. Want to come up and annoy Bob and my Aunt and uncle.  I -may- be up in October but not sure If I'll be flying or Driving.  They will probably want me in NZ the week after so Might be easier to spend a few days up there then go straight to Auckland.  Then again, spose If I drove up I could leave the car there and fly back to Brisvegas and drive down.

There seem to be a lot of panels available in Bris.  What size and brand are they? 250W Trina's?

I dread getting a smart arse meter. After reading up on them and Bruce's warning here, I'll be wanting to lead line the fusebox If I get the things.  I have my own pole out the front so I'll see if it can be mounted out there well away from the house.

Bruce, I have pondered a power consuming Business before. The thing is, I make so much power in Summer already but so little in winter.  This is one reason I want to set up the genny. I'm of the opinion more panels isn't the answer.  On all these rainless overcast days, the 20 KW of panels I have can be lucky to develop 3/4 of that or even less.  In summer, I can make that  in 2 hours or less.
I don't think adding more panels is going to be the solution.

Earlier in my learning curve, I was of the opinion one had to setup for the worst weather. I have had second thoughts that this could be a limited value idea. OK if one has good sunshine and limited power consumption but for a larger place that is all electric trying to heat in winter..... It's a real big ask where I am.

What I intend to do is remove all my sub 250W panels and replace them with 250's.  Off the top of my head, that's about 30 panels. I have with the latest lot about 45 so I'll be able to do the back of the house and the shed.

All up that should give me 21KW all. up. I think I'll remove some from my garage south roof as I won't need them in summer, get covered in leaves in winter and do little when they are clear anyway.  Will also get all the panels up on the roof and out the yard.

As for Hydrogen, I'll admit to being a bit Gun shy of that.  My electrolysis experiment last year with lighting off a sandwich bag of the stuff and realising how little air it needs to go bang makes me very wary.  One would need a very professional no shortcuts setup to be doing that... least a Chicken like me would! :0)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 05:33:14 PM »
Winter overcast/clouds is an issue for PV planning  In my sunny climate, and home designed for minimal power use, it's easy to add enough panels to fully charge the batteries every day, even on cloudy days.  With 2350 watts I never run the generator to charge batteries anymore, I don't even have the charger hooked up. I just avoid electric cooking on dark winter days, and only do laundry and water pumping when it's sunny.  Our winters are darker now, but still, 4 days of heavy clouds happens only once or twice a winter.

I read an article on a Budist retreat center in nothern Canada that was off grid; they added LOTS of near vertical PV for winter, so that even when overcast, they could make their daily power nut for the batteries, saving a bundle in genny fuel (and noise).  You do get power when it's anything but dark, but you may need 5x or more the area in panels. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 08:02:37 AM »

The Toys in question unloaded.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 08:31:02 AM »

The complete engine looks pretty good. Bit of Dirt under the cowlings, I'll look at pulling them off and give it a lick with the steam cleaner with the other one and see how that comes up.  There was a frame with them both but due to poor construction the thing nearly tore itself and the frame apart when the previous owner fired it up. Scars are on the frame.

I'll see if I can slab a Log to mount it and give it or run or I'll have to wait till I have it back home where I have some big steel beams to mount it on.  Between the engine, the motor, the frame and ancillary, I can see this going 500Kg.  Might have a look here at how many of the smaller space saver tires are around and get some hubs to put on the frame so it's moveable.

Was looking at brake disks and Flywheels today to make a stub shaft to mount on the flywheel. If I can find something close I can have the pattern drilled to mount and weld on a plate and attach the shaft to that. Bit of a pain and expense with these things. Might also look at a belt  to go round the flywheel which would be good for some car alternators, probably about a 6-8:1 ratio.

Be interesting to see how quiet these things are. Easy to put a car muffler on the things but the real racket from the aircooleds seems to be mechanical clatter.
Unloaded the things around lunchtime today and they have caused quite an interest with people coming in the yard. Mechanic had never seen them before and was very interested.  Pretty funny when he helped my to slip the chain over the forks and the ute went up about 4" each when I lifted the things.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »
I read an article on a Budist retreat center in nothern Canada that was off grid; they added LOTS of near vertical PV for winter, so that even when overcast, they could make their daily power nut for the batteries, saving a bundle in genny fuel (and noise).  You do get power when it's anything but dark, but you may need 5x or more the area in panels.

My own tests and experience has indicated that tilt is pretty insignifican't over all.  At my latitude at least, Tilt unless flat or vertical is about 10%.  Flat definitely works better in overcast conditions where I am and in summer too.
Atm I have Panels at 5o, 13o, 34o and 50o on my different arrays.   The direction the panels face is a much bigger  influence on generation where I am.  While North is the ideal Direction for me, If I go ahead with another garage I'm thinking I would do an easy west roof to maximise the ramp up and down generation rather than add more to the already overly high peak.  I have North and west  panels now so having some east ( morning) facing would be ideal.

I might look at setting up a panel or an array at 90o to test the output and leave it there 6 months to see what it does in summer.  I'll guarantee in summer I could turn the panels south with their backs to the sun and make more power than I get in winter.

Even a decent generator is working to make the sort of power one can get with a decent solar array in summer.
Nothing like quiet, passive generation.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:24 AM »
Hi Glort, it is very difficult for me to politely express how much I hate you right now. I have been looking for one of those for over two years with a budget of $1,000 and you score two for that price! Shame on you.  :laugh:

It will be very interesting to see how many alternators it takes to bog down these beauties. When are you planning to start your own power company so you can export all this power to the local community?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 11:10:47 AM »

It's OK Bob, I hate myself every day so I won't hold anything against you.
I have been looking for these for a LOOOONG time as well.  I have 2 aircooleds in this type but really wanted a water cooled.  I actually passed up two other aircooleds in the last few weeks as I thought I can't keep buying engines that aren't really what I want.
I am hoping they turn out to be what I want.

As for the alternators, Surprisingly the engines have 30 A alts built in which I found surprising.
 My CS 6 Hp won't drag much if anything over 2x100A car alts.  This falls a fair bit short of the 3 Kw they are professed to do so I wouldn't expect one of these to do more than about 5 car alts. The regs are not too efficent on car alts.

That said.....
My little 3.5 Horizontal will out pull every 5 and 6Hp engine I have without heavy smoking or showing signs of stress like over heating.  If these engines are nearly as grunty, then they should pull pretty hard. I wonder what other people with these horizontal engines have found?

Just have to keep looking Bob. These things pop up when you least expect them.
Have you had an Opportunity to work anymore on your engine of late?  How is Narelle recovering?

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Hi Glort, I have recovered very well from my surgery and should be starting some physio therapy next week. Narelle is just coming up to six weeks after her hysterectomy, she has been through hell but is just starting to come good, she still can`t drive or lift anything but we have been walking the dog together and things are looking good.

I`m planning to get back to the ETB rebuild next week, will make a big change from being nurse Bob!  :laugh:

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
"My own tests and experience has indicated that tilt is pretty insignifican't over all.  At my latitude at least, Tilt unless flat or vertical is about 10%.  Flat definitely works better in overcast conditions where I am and in summer too.
Atm I have Panels at 5o, 13o, 34o and 50o on my different arrays.   The direction the panels face is a much bigger  influence on generation where I am.  While North is the ideal Direction for me, If I go ahead with another garage I'm thinking I would do an easy west roof to maximise the ramp up and down generation rather than add more to the already overly high peak.  I have North and west  panels now so having some east ( morning) facing would be ideal."

With PV so cheap and batteries still quite expensive,  panel arrays just to grab AM and especially late afternoon sun do make sense.  My neighbor wants to add a west facing set; they would like to cook their evening meal on electric.  It's a pity that trackers are so expensive and maintenance prone.  For our style of off grid living in our sunny location, minimizing battery use, a large tracked array would be marvelous. But it is cheaper to just add fixed or one axis adjustable arrays.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »

I looked at trackers when I started on the solar proclivity Bruce and here and I imagine other places, my Axiom of inefficient is always most efficient for solar held true.

Everything I found showed more panels were cheaper than trying to maximize power with trackers even with new panels.
I know solar is much more exy in the US than here ( which is a huge surprise) so maybe that does not hold true but I would be reasonably confident the difference would still make more panels the better investment than a tracking system.

I Made a ground mount frame last year that was like a triangular frame with the panels on the diagonal axis that I could adjust Tilt but raising or lowering the intersection with the vertical upright.  I did play with it a bit measuring the output from the angle then adjusting it the equivalent of about 4 Months difference and the result was within the margin of daily/ weekly weather.

The East/ weather orientation of another shed roof would be also with batteries in mind if I ever went that way and I would have at least 16mm2 cable wired  to it with the same in mind.  I was reading a while back tat an east west array tilted at 60O gave the most CONSTANT charge rate for batteries all year round.  Wasn't the most power or KWH, But rather the most even and wide spread charge rate.

The one thing with having a lot of west facing panels for me is when they are really working in summer, the PM day time temps are the hottest so I can run the AC to keep the place cool when the heat is greatest which here is about 3-4 Pm.
I am doing an outdoor bathroom atm and when that is finished I am going to look at putting at leas a small verandah across the west exposed face of the house to reduce sun exposure.  I'm not real worried about shading in winter, there isn't enough radiation to be of any use.

In summer my crappy south array of leftover mismatched orphan panels can easily make more power than the 9KW array on the north roof in winter. North is definitely best for getting that elusive winter generation though. 

Didn't get to play with my engines today. Got roped into doing a quick clutch job for a young guy who was stuck.  Felt about as much like doing that as growing a 3rd leg but the young guy came to try and help because he knew I was helping him out and talking to him over the day, seems like a real nice you fella with his head screwed on the right way. When I asked why he didn't get a newer car instead of patching up the old one he told me his money was going into the house he was building.

23 years old, year younger than my son.  He got me onside. Any young guy with that sort of foresight and good sense I'm glad to help out. Far too few like this these days in my book.
If Only I could have convinced him to put a quieter exhaust on the thing. Fk it, only young once, let him enjoy himself.

I'll move the engines tomorrow anyway after day knocked one over and then nearly dropped a car on them.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »

The Kubota engines have much better quality control during the manufacturing process compared to the Chinese versions.
The gears driving the cam and counterbalance shafts are better machined and run at closer mesh tolerances.
Hence there tends to be much less backlash and clatter from the gear train.
Your RT125 should run a lot quieter than the Chinese counterparts.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw