Author Topic: Propane Listeroid status- 1400 hrs  (Read 2004 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Propane Listeroid status- 1400 hrs
« on: June 17, 2019, 03:27:25 AM »
My neighbor with the propane converted DES CS clone just did an old change at 1400 hrs, last one was at 400 and it looked like it just came out of a new oil bottle.  At 1400 hrs today, he said it didn't look quite like new oil but it looked good.

The last 1000 hrs have been utterly problem free until my push rod kludge failed, and with the new welded extension to the push rod, he's back in action with full power again. So the keep to success for a propane CS is a CA110 carburetor, Garrett type regulator, and a hot spark module.  A special thank you to Gary at DES again for his awesome technical support on our conversion project.

I'm surprised there isn't a surge of interest in CS's for conversion.  ;)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: Propane Listeroid status- 1400 hrs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 02:21:28 PM »

Thanks for the update BruceM. I'm not surprised that the oil stayed so clean. No soot and very little carbon in propane combustion. Where I live Propane is too expensive. However natural gas is currently quite inexpensive.
The best solution in these parts is to run 30% diesel (or veg oil) and 70% natural gas.
Commonly known as pilot ignition.
Not quite as clean a burn as straight propane, but a huge improvement in oil and combustion chamber deposits over standard diesel fuels. Also keeps the top end very clean when burning veg oil. Just like gas dosing to clean the system only it's constant.
No ignition modification is necessary.
Straight propane or natural gas fuels are the great for long engine life and extended oil change intervals.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
As Gary at DES suggested, we did put in hardened valve seats.  But otherwise, running the engine at 8/1 speeds on propane we're getting good 6/1 power. Reduced compression so low stress on all Rajkot parts. 

NG with diesel pilot are a great pair if you've got cheap NG available.  No NG here in the way off grid; only in some towns.  Propane on recent fill up was $2.29 a gallon delivered.  Diesel is now around $3/gallon at the pump.

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »

Were did you source hardened seats for the valves ?

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »
My memory is fuzzy...but I think the machine shop got them. I think 38ac very helpfully gave us a brand and part number but the local machinist preferred to use another brand.  Gary at DES was most helpful, and shared his experience that hardened seats are important for propane engines.