Author Topic: Propane CS clone power loss, welder fixed it.  (Read 2759 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Propane CS clone power loss, welder fixed it.
« on: June 15, 2019, 11:17:21 PM »
My neighbor Jeff is the owner of the Propane modified CS from DES. He's been running it for the last 4 years with no troubles.  He mentioned he was having reduced power- couldn't carry both well and washer at the same time.  I suggested he check valve timing, as we had twiddled those to reduce exhaust/intake overlap to reduce propane smell in the engine room.  He did, and found that our extended push rod for the intake had failed. We had added 0.5 inches of aluminum spacer under the cylinder to reduce compression, so the longer exhaust rod worked fine for intake but former short exhaust needed a couple inches added. I had done weld bond kludge with some bits I had on hand; epoxied carbon fiber tube and added rounded end bit.  It had failed after 4.5 years, the carbon tube was now cracked as the ends pushed together, reducing the intake opening to only 4 mm from a normal 8mm.

I was thrilled to have a small welding project.  I had some rod of about the right diameter and welded on a new extension to the push rod. I used 7018 for the job, with some 6013 for finish filler.  It is very satisfying to have my new 24V battery welder put to good use, again. We installed it and reset the intake opening per the IO flywheel mark we put on (using 38AC's brilliant method), and now she's back to full power again.

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Propane CS clone power loss, welder fixed it.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 03:34:04 AM »
Problem.  Investigation.  Diagnosis.  Solution.  Repair.  Result!

So satisfying when it goes like that.  Well done

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 04:35:33 AM »
I'm very keen on welding projects these days. :)   Thanks MikeNash. 

I'm going to look for a shade 8 lens- I still can't see very well through my shade 9 lens when a cloud rolled over.  Shade 6 is too light, so I'm closing in.  (Too much and too little are my specialties.) Being able to see the work is a BIG advantage.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:13:50 PM by BruceM »

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 05:06:34 AM »
I'm very keen on welding projects these days. :)   Thanks MikeNash. 

I'm going to look for a shade 8 lens- I still can't see very well through my shade 0 lens when a cloud rolled over.  Shade 6 is too light, so I'm closing in.  (Too much and too little are my specialties.) Being able to see the work is a BIG advantage.

As I have gotten older (62) and my eyesight has gotten crap (gone from occasional use of reading glasses ten years ago to prescription lenses and the beginnings of cataracts in my "good" eye) I have done a couple of things

One:  I use a diopter insert - just a magnifying piece of plastic that slips into holders in your helmet.  Might be worth a try?

Two:  More importantly - I make sure there is good bright light shining on whatever I want to weld.  Not necessarily sunlight, as being "out in the sun" or looking towards the sun can confuse the auto-darkening thingie, but just good artificial illumination

FWIW I have found this makes a difference

Cheers

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Hey Glort, could you please let us know what it is you are buying and how you get on with using it. I was trained as a welder back in the days before MIG welders became popular.  Back then stick welders and TIG welders were separate machines. I remember having to learn oxy/acetylene welding of aluminium. When I see all these new idiot proof machines I wonder why I bothered to learn those skills. I guess it makes it much cheaper to train people these days but I doubt that it makes them better engineers.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 03:47:00 PM »
If I find myself doing enough welding, I might pursue to a MIG conversion via replacement parts, but for now I'll manage with my simple fixed voltage stick welder. Builds character(?!) I'll bet Glort's new inverter welder will be a dream boat to weld in comparison.

I wear my "arms length work" glasses for welding. I'm nearsighted with presbyopia. I have glasses for every working distance, as I found bifocals impossible and variable lenses a headache (literally).  With some study and my own trial lens/frame set it was easy to get just the right lens RX. ZenniOptical is marvelously inexpensive.

I still have some range of focus for my eyes, and MS affects my ability to scan and focus rapidly but I have way less headaches when I can put my work in the middle of that focus range.  Avoiding overcorrection strain is especially helpful, undercorrection is much less of a problem, I've found. "Soft focus" beats a headache by a mile.

There was a brilliant bit of research done by a Australian eye doctor.  He found that if kids were given bifocals with plane glass for distance or close, depending on whether they are nearsighted or farsighted, their vision didn't deteriorate rapidly, requiring new lenses every year, stronger and stronger.  He proved this in fairly large trials of school kids. So while good for their profits, the current practice of optometry is adversely affecting kids vision health, and costing parents a fortune. I've found that almost every field of medicine is like this- profitable procedures are supported and protected first and foremost, public health be damned.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »
Bruce, I have not read all the postings about your welder but if you are using an old school shaded lenses helmet and having issues you might want to consider an auto darkening unit. I had all but given up weldng due to not being able to see what I was doing no matter the shade. I think it is due to many hours under a hood and multiple seriois flash burns. I had avoided the automatic helmets due to lag time and flash but that is all fixed now in all but the cheapest of cheap helmets. I bought a middle of the line cost wise Hobart and I can once again, see what I am doing and welding nicely once more. I can't get rid of my tipping the helmet habit to the amusement of my sons who have never used anything else.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 11:20:47 PM »
Thanks 38ac.  Yes, I tried the auto darkening units. I can see how for neurologically healthy folks they would be great- you can dial in just the level you want for the dark level.  I bought one helmet and also one of the auto-darkening lenses.

Alas, They all seem to use a microcontroller chip and the accidental radiated emissions from clocked digital circuits with unshielded wiring affects me enough that I'd have to redesign the electronics myself to use analog components.  I looked at that, took an $11 active filter type unit apart and tested the LCD and mini PV panel. I could make up my own circuitry to control the panel without a microprocessor.  I may do it yet, if I can't get a passive filter that is acceptable. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
Hi Glort, that looks like an absolute steal at that price. I shall be ordering one next week. I have used CIG welders before and found them to be reliable and they have a nationwide parts and service network.

My only concern is that this does not have the option of a foot pedal for welding highly conductive materials like copper, brass and aluminium. These metals are so heat conductive that once a puddle of molten metal has been achieved it is necessary to reduce the welding current or the weld will grow to twice the expected width. I suspect that it would be easy to bypass the current controller on the front of the welder and connect a foot pedal.

My other concern is that it does not say if this is an AC or DC welder. For aluminium welding AC is a lot better while for a lot of steel welding processes DC is better. This is because of the magnetic properties of molten steel when exposed to high electrical currents, even the polarity of DC can make a difference in some circumstances.

Let me know how you get on.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 09:04:04 AM »
I definitely agree that prolonged wearing of spectacles causes weakening of the eye muscles causing further deterioration. I try to wear mine as little as possible. One thing I did find that helped a lot was bifocal safety glasses, these are cheap disposable plastic glasses that have a magnifying lens in the bottom, those lenses comes in different strengths. I can wear them all day without a problem and they only cost a few bucks a pair.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:07:08 PM »
I got interested in optometry because of headaches and frustrations with the optometry shop making lenses that I didn't like. A friend had found that intentionally reducing the RX worked wonders so I thought I'd try.  I found a training manual on how to do eye exams for missionaries and studied it.  I bought a big trial lens set for about $200. I also bought some plastic trial lens glasses, a set with a range of pupilary distances, mine is 65mm.  So I get to try the actual prescription in a range of situations and lighting before I order.

The Rx I made for computer use has my eyes about 4 feet from the big rear projection screen.  I found that while I had "soft focus" at a distance, I was still barely legal for driving with them, and had much less headaches.  My vision improved about a diopter, and now that same RX is my "distance" lens, with about 20/25 vision at 20 feet and I still can use them for the computer. 

My regular glasses are a $6.95 frame with mid index plastic lenses with an additional $5 for antireflective coating.  Shipping is $5 no matter how many glasses.  I just ordered some spares as I don't like looking through scratches and recently rolled over and wrecked my glasses on the sofa.  I got 2 distance and 2- 80% amber sunglasses (a $6.95 aviator style plastic frame).  The whole bill including shipping for 4 (!)  sets of glasses was $62.54. PM me and I'll send you the invoice if you don't believe me.  I get the glasses by mail in 10-14 days.

The other upside is that I have been able to help some low income disabled folks get new glasses, including bifocals or variable lens, and prescription sun glasses, that they could otherwise not afford.  It saves time to start with their old Rx, but I can do it from scratch, also.  Half a dozen are so chemically sensitive that they can't go in the optometry shop, and are largely home bound.  It's nice to be useful.