Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

CS head - worth bothering with?

(1/5) > >>

mikenash:
Hi Guys

Some of you have given me a hand with advice on the + 40 thou piston and barrel I have been tinkering with; and that has been much appreciated

When I took the engine apart I dumped the head, injector, pump and a few other bits and pieces in a big bucket of diesel for a couple of weeks

This morning I made an abominable mess in the workshop giving them a clean and dismantling the head etc

See pics?

Getting the valves out was a mission as the head had sat in the weather long enough for the springs to be substantially rusted - I would say the guides would need replacing, too

I can buy a whole new Indian 7-stud head complete from Australia for about $NZ250 and probably a hundred or two dollars in freight - maybe somewhere in the $NZ350-550 range landed . . .

I wonder if it's worth mucking about with this head - or if it's better to just put it "on the shelf" for an occasion when I have more time - whenever that might be

My objective is to have one good engine I know to have sound internals plus a bunch of good spares - and I think that (with a bit of machine-shop repairs to the top ring groove) the +40 thou Barrel & piston out of this engine will have a good service life ahead of them

I'd be interested in thoughts as I don't have the experience to interpret the images in terms of "how worn things are"

Cheers

(similar query underway re pump & injector - bear with me here)

Thanks, Mike

sirpedrosa:
Hi Mike

Both the head, valves, pump and injector seem to me to be in good internal condition, of course a good cleaning helps to realize if there are too large clearances. On the outside they have the rust of the time they stay seated.

That alu piston with spoked wheels, and the tricky ring maybe will give you a bitter mouth...

Remove that scale, and disassemble all bits, especially the injector pump, and checks if the element is correct for 6/1 (because of the flow rate), and the injector has to be tuned to the correct pressure.

Good luck.
VP

dieselspanner:
Same as the other post, for the injector!

If you are importing parts from Aus, why not go straight to Rajkot? I've found that I can place an order with Devprecision on a Sunday night, have it confirmed Monday morning, pay with Paypal - nicely protected - and the Fedex truck rolls down the drive, Friday lunchtime, prices are reasonable, compared to the uk, even taking postage into account.

I had a problem with an injector pump and after a bit of a moan on here, followed by me sending a link it was all sorted free of charge, no I don't have any other connections with the Sub Continent!!

When I built my 'bitza' I had terrible trouble with balancing, eventually I came to the conclusion that as it was a 3/1 bottom end, with the larger barrel and piston, the flywheels were weighted differently. I had an alloy 8/1 piston and rings sent out from Devprecision, it was a near perfect fit, and the engine is now as smooth as, at 650 rpm. Just a word to the wise for when you are putting the big pile of bits back together......

Cheers
Stef

mikenash:

--- Quote from: dieselspanner on June 15, 2019, 09:12:57 AM ---Same as the other post, for the injector!

If you are importing parts from Aus, why not go straight to Rajkot? I've found that I can place an order with Devprecision on a Sunday night, have it confirmed Monday morning, pay with Paypal - nicely protected - and the Fedex truck rolls down the drive, Friday lunchtime, prices are reasonable, compared to the uk, even taking postage into account.

I had a problem with an injector pump and after a bit of a moan on here, followed by me sending a link it was all sorted free of charge, no I don't have any other connections with the Sub Continent!!

When I built my 'bitza' I had terrible trouble with balancing, eventually I came to the conclusion that as it was a 3/1 bottom end, with the larger barrel and piston, the flywheels were weighted differently. I had an alloy 8/1 piston and rings sent out from Devprecision, it was a near perfect fit, and the engine is now as smooth as, at 650 rpm. Just a word to the wise for when you are putting the big pile of bits back together......

Cheers
Stef

--- End quote ---

Stef, Hi & thanks

I wondered myself about balance & related issues - eventually I came to the conclusion it had probably been running like that for a decade . . .

That cylinder & what is effectively an 8/1 piston, I guess, might end up on another 6/1 I have been playing with and have yet to tear down to have a look at rings etc - I guess we'll see what happens

I take your point about going direct to Rajkot.  FWIW I quite like to support Rob at OldTimerEngines in a small way as he provides a service with stock and with advice etc.  I doubt he's getting rich doing what he does

ajaffa1:
Hi Mike, sorry not to have been much involved on the forum recently, personal family issues. That cylinder head should be OK. The first thing to check is how far below the surface of the head the valves sit, 50 thou is good 100 thou is bad.

Replacing valve guides is not that expensive or difficult, if I remember rightly the inlet guide is a press fit and can be easily pressed out and replaced, while the exhaust valve has a thread on it and needs to be unscrewed, they are made of a very soft iron so they break easily leaving you with half the thread and guide left in the head. Fortunately they are made of such soft stuff that they can easily be cut with a junior hacksaw blade. Make three cuts in the guide and then fold it in on itself with a drift.

If the valve faces were closer to 50 thou below the surface of the head they can be re-cut without a problem, if they are approaching 100 thou the seats will need replacing. 38ac did a very good post about replacing/resurfacing valve seats on the WOK.

In my limited experience, the quality of castings and machining on the original Lister heads and parts is superior to the offerings from Rajkot. I recently purchased a replacement Indian cylinder head because it was the cheapest option, sadly it did not have hardened valve seats. The cost of having it machined to original specifications and having hardened seats fitted cost a lot more than repairing the original. Lesson learned.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version