Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lindsay's Technical Books  (Read 7015 times)

Rtqii

• View Profile
Lindsay's Technical Books
« on: August 04, 2006, 07:34:42 PM »

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

This is only like the ultimate library of "how to"

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Lindsay's Technical Books
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:02:57 PM »
there is a shop in bath that stocks their books and many others, I avoid it like the plague...
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 08:30:39 PM »
awe comon Guy:

the linsay books have their place,,, especially for ideas or a starting point on a journey of discovery.

alot of their books have at least some rudimentary information that can get a guy moving, like wow,
they used to do it that way?  hmmmm maybe i could do it too?

far easier to start there than with a 3 inch thick technical or engineering text, wouldnt you say for the average guy?

for instance if faced with drilling a large hole thru a piece of steel way out in the boondocks, a large percentage of folks
would not even think that perhaps they could make their own drill bit, using only very rude tooling. but in an old lindsey book one can learn not only how to make one, but use it properly and get the job done. i know this to be true because i built a 2 inch bit to drill thru a piece of frame steel  out of a piece of tire iron in under 10 minutes! it not only worked but worked exceptionally well. besides how many folks can justify the expense of a 2 inch drill for only one hole?

of course you english guys have it over us yanks,,, you guys are so much more industrious in many ways, because you had to be after the last world war.  There are literally hundreds of books published by your countryman that are probably readily available there that cannot be found here.

lindsay kinda fills this void for us over here.

but i am interested,,, why do you avoid them? is it because of the availability of quality books there in england or
is it because of you having a vast library? either way i am jealous :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 09:19:55 PM »
Personaly I just hate the idea of having to pay for recylced information from yesterday. I wish there were more forrums like this that spread around the "how to". I have some great books on engineering and manufatcuring but they were taylored to actualy producing things in factory setting. Practiacal how to is a different matter.

Doug

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 10:45:57 PM »
I have several and have used them.  Yes alot of it is recycled, but for a small cost you gain alot of time finding things.  Even on this group really finding things and sorting out fact from fiction  is a cluster *&*$.  I thought that the How to section was going to help but they look like they are heading down the same rabbit hole as the rest of the forum/internet.  I have used the internet to find alot of things, new and old, but wasted alot of time doing so.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 11:26:51 PM »
I say avoid like the plague because I cannot afford "give me one copy of everything" and certainly can't afford the lawsuit afterwards for scanning and sharing them.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »
They will send a catalog pronto! And it is a good catalog.

While Lindsay books does not sell an old crankshaft balancing book that I own, I found forgotten info in that book. And it solved a major problem. Those old books can be worth the world to you when you cannot find the information anywhere else.

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 11:34:27 PM »
Hi I have purchased more than a few of these books. I have to say they are a good place to start a project.
If you think they nare a complete referance, you will be disapointed. Some are more complete than others.
Dennis
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:58:44 AM »
for years i have scoured the country, every little used book store, garage sale whatever looking for old tech books

if the book has one piece of info in it that i can see using now or can conceivably use in the future i buy it!

it is amazing how a blacksmithing book from 1880 has made me countless dollars and a hero over the years, with things, like
how to make a drill bit, cheap and quick, how to drill out a hard as hell stud,, you name it.

i collect all sorts of old books,,, lindsay thank god makes his living trying to find and reprint those that arent available anywhere else.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info