Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

playing with the old CS - the low-compression special

(1/4) > >>

mikenash:
Finally got around to seeing if the old CS that has been sitting up in the Bay of Plenty is a runner or not

I bought it off a chap who thought it had been in his yard for "quite a few years" but also thought it "probably wouldn't take much to get it going".  A familiar story to one and all here I am sure . . .

I said recently I paid $300 for it, but I think I actually paid $500?  Details a bit blurry as it was a few years ago now.  It has been sitting on the base built out of heavy RSJ for a couple years waiting for some attention

I did the on-the-fly measurement of the rim circumference thing to calculate inlet opening & zorst closing etc etc and fitted a new pump and injector & it bled up good.  A good clean "crink" with each injection

Doesn't want to go, though

I gave it a lot of heat from the butane and a bit of Aerostart but no go.  Just not quite enough compression.  If you try really hard you can keep cranking it over and over the compressions after you let the valve lifter go - and I could feel a little "pop" most compressions and a wee puff of white smoke and a bit of a hand from a partial ignition

It'll have to come apart - my guess would be the rings are stuck

Actually it's good that it has to come apart since, as it has work to do, I'll have to address any issues properly rather than just giving in to the temptation to get it going and use it . . .

They're nice looking machines, aren't they

Jordan:
Yes.

38ac:
I wouldn't jump into it just yet if it was mine. When an engine has set for a long time low compression is often rectified if you can get it to run just a bit.  Listen for leaks from the vaves, if so you can often fix that by tapping(not beating!) on the rockers hard enough to take the valve off the seat. Pull the intake elbow and turn it until the valve is open and give it 5 to10 pumps of 30W don't go overboard as you can hydraulic it and cause damage. That should raise compression enough to get it to fire. Another option is to belt it up to another engine. Starting fluids are last resort and used VERY sparingly, a wiff from a good distance away.
Often if one can get it to fire and run for a few minutes they will go after that.

mikenash:
Yes, you're dead right about all of that, of course

I gave it a couple of teaspoons of oil at one point without much improvement except that it was harder to turn over

To put things in perspective - the property where it is concreted down is my "retirement" project and it's off-grid.  I'm just beginning to have a play with some solar stuff . . . .

The CS - I hope - will serve as a prime mover for backup power.  I have a nice Markon and an un-tested ST-type Chinese head, either of which can end up attached to it, plus a great pair of heavy Leece-Neville bus alternators to make some 24VDC which I'd like to see attached as well, perhaps

So it has work to do.  I already have a CS which is a nice runner and starter with a worn barrel and a 5-stud Indian head fitted with no COV at all.  So, because this one has work to do, and cos I'm looking ahead to a time when I may not have the energy or inclination to rebuild one of these, it's probably worth taking this one apart to see what needs doing.  I have piston and rings on the shelf, along with a wrist pin, some odd gaskets and bits-and-bobs, plus a spare, complete, 7-stud head with a heater element glow plug insert thingie for where the COV should be.  So I may not have to buy much if it's worn internally.  Depends on the barrel, I guess

All of which is a long-winded way of saying I'd like it to end up as mechanically sound as I can get it without any real $$ expenditure

If, some time in the future, it can serve to run the welder or big power tools, to charge batteries if we get a few days with no sunshine, or to act as a supply of 240VAC in an emergency - that would be a good outcome

Of course, I might get it apart and find much of it is stuffed - still better to know than not to know, I hope

Cheers

38ac:
Sounds like you have a good plan.
I have a 6/1 in similar shape coming in. This one will stay here and accompany my 10/2.  It is likely that neither of them will do anything useful aside of keeping me company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version