Puppeteer

Author Topic: Compressor oil grade  (Read 3257 times)

guest23837

Compressor oil grade
« on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:45 PM »
I was at the tyre shop today and I noticed he had a 50l compressor sitting in the office. A few words €20 changed hands and I have it. He said the motor was working so I took the head off cleaned the reed valves and I have a €20 compressor. The oil was black and thin so it's been drained. My question is can I use car engine oil? I have 10W40 semi synthetic and 5W30 synthetic oil in the shed. I could give the local parts guy €10 for 500 mil of compressor oil but I'd hate to do it if I didn't have to. The compressor is Bergin branded so likely Chinese. Any ideas?

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Compressor oil grade
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 11:26:22 PM »
 Not familiar with that brand but if it is recipricating (piston and crankshaft) compressor I used 10w 30 motor oil for 50 years before I read on the internet that it could not be used. Thus I ran out to the shop and drained it real quick before my compressor went up in flames!!!😁

it is best to use non detergent if one is going to buy the oil anyway but since you have the other on the shelf Id dump it in and fret it not one little bit.  Lubricating a compressor is far from rocket science.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

guest23837

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:01:56 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll go with the 5w30 it's turbodiesel oil. Glort I like your logic!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:38:01 AM »
 Some of the experts on the internet really make me laugh. Read once that engine oil could not be used as it was not designed to take the heat generated by an air compressor ::)
As said the multi grade woukd be beneficial for starting up.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:08:44 AM »
Probably because there a many kinds of compressors?

The expensive modern screw ones that have a mix of compressed air and oil mist and which catch the oil "on the way out" with a separator are fussy buggers, expensive to maintain, unforgiving if not maintained properly, and extra expensive when they blow up.

With one of them, using the right oil is a must IMHO

It's probably folks thinking about them that are finicky about the oil

guest23837

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »
I searched on the interweb for Chinese compressor manual and I got one for a similar size machine. The manufacturer recommends 10-40 oil. I put 5W30 in it and I hope it will do ok. The motor was filled to the top with used engine oil no wonder it didn't work and had oil all over it. Now it's at correct level in the little window and it fills the tank and then shuts off. I haven't had luxuries like that in a while and now I can use my rattle gun as well.
It runs at 2800 rpm and there's no ignition or combustion so Glort is again annoyingly correct! I have no idea what these guys on forums get their information like use only non detergent oil and so on. My fully synthetic oil has to be way better than the non detergent oils. I only use cheapo 10W40 in the lawnmower and generators never had any issues.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »
The "logic" or guideline head set I hear and am now repeating is that non detergent oil is less likely to suspend particulates which might make a difference in a filter-less oil system.  In reality, non detergent isn't always easy to find and oil is cheaper by the case.  I'm betting you all know what I use in most everything.

I'm currently running ATF for chain/bar oil in my pruning chainsaw as the vegetable oil I was using on some high sap trees kind of solidified.  A bit of gasoline and elbow grease later I got the high detergent ATF to flow.  So much for brainstorms.  Once I go through the liter of ATF I'll go back to the rather heavy bar oil.  But even there I save at least 50% buy purchasing it in 2 gallon bottles rather than the 2.8 oz premix bottles.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

guest23837

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 06:06:07 PM »
The "logic" or guideline head set I hear and am now repeating is that non detergent oil is less likely to suspend particulates which might make a difference in a filter-less oil system.  In reality, non detergent isn't always easy to find and oil is cheaper by the case.  I'm betting you all know what I use in most everything.

I'm currently running ATF for chain/bar oil in my pruning chainsaw as the vegetable oil I was using on some high sap trees kind of solidified.  A bit of gasoline and elbow grease later I got the high detergent ATF to flow.  So much for brainstorms.  Once I go through the liter of ATF I'll go back to the rather heavy bar oil.  But even there I save at least 50% buy purchasing it in 2 gallon bottles rather than the 2.8 oz premix bottles.

You use ATF as a chain lubricant or do you mix it in a 2 stroke engine?

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 05:38:30 PM »
Yeah, Oops.

I forgot the sentence about both bar oil and 2 cycle mix.  Bulk is the way to go as long as your using ICE equipment.  Of course all of my savings were eaten like cheap candy on Halloween when my wife got angry with the frozen chain saw and bought a Ryobi battery unit.  Sometimes we be just too cleaver for our own good.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 12:43:52 AM »
I'm sure sheeple are global.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
The electric chainsaw is a wonderful tool for women, older folks or people with big gardens

Once you own one you won't be without it I would guess.  Just like me and the 18V battery angle grinder

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »
Nothing "typical" about it

An honestly-expressed opinion cos the electric chainsaw IS a great tool for anyone without the ability to use a petrol one.  I traded my 63cc Jonsered in on a 39cc Husqvarna last year & when I get older & slower I figure I'll end up with an electric chainsaw on the shelf alongside my battery angle grinder, battery rattle gun, battery drill . . .

No agenda at all attached to that comment

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 05:42:35 AM »
About 30 years ago we used a 120 volt electric chain saw building log houses because they were reliable and smooth.  Very nice saw and ate pine like soft butter not that there's a lot of difference.  I now use an ICE trimming saw for everything.  If the 14" blade is overwhelmed then the task is most likely bigger than I should be working.  Stuff happens when you play with any wood larger that 6 inches and the consequences are logarithmic.

We're taking the 40 volt Ryobi back and waiting for a screaming deal on a mower, trimmer and saw deal.  We rely on volunteers here on the farm and our workers industrial insurance almost bans even looking at chainsaws. 

I don't consider anyone working within their real limitations to be anything other than smart. 

The boy in the tree was 15 years ago.  And yes;  that is a 40 foot extension ladder all the way out.  I didn't have enough spite to whistle at Marilyn Monroe should she had been standing on her head.  Times change as do capacities and limits.

Aloha
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:48:28 AM by LowGear »
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator