Author Topic: New Watercooled Diesel Toys  (Read 254 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: New Watercooled Diesel Toys
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 04:40:43 PM »
Here also, a vertical west facing array for summer 3-7pm would be a plus for electric cooking. 
Both my neighbor and I find that appealing. 

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 02:44:49 AM »

I was hoping that would be the case with having original engines. Quality over price...for once.
I am also hoping if i need any parts, particularly if i need to rebuild or repair the older looking engine,they are interchangeable with the chinese made parts. Ill have to look into it as im not sure if the chinese engines are kubota or Yanmar copies.

I was thinking of running a belt over the flywheel to drive alternators but the clearance around the cowl looks thin.
Have to look closer after a workout with a chainsaw and a log splitter.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 02:51:01 AM »
Here also, a vertical west facing array for summer 3-7pm would be a plus for electric cooking. 

I do have some shading from a neighbours tree behind me which is west but fortunately it is very late in the day and the loss is minimal. There is a tree in my own yard which i need to lop which is getting too tall and starting to shade the house.
Trees and houses dont mix well especially with solar.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:46:20 AM »

Finally had a chance to play with the new toys at home today.  Left Dad's at 6:30 last night after dinner and was back home by 11 so back to the world.

Took me a while to unload the engines as I had to dig the crane out behind all the other engines and motors and move them by hand. I sure would like a little forklift!

I put some legs on the good engine utilising some double Unistrut pieces I piked up a while back which were precisely the right length.
Took a bit to fire the thing up though. The electrics are not working, there is a very corroded and Dry 12 Pin plug which I suspect is stopping the push button party.  I got some battery leads, ( luck I stocked up last trip and bolted them to the starter and a ground.

First attempt at starting was by Cranking. This will also be the last attempt at starting by Cranking.  Anyone that thinks a lister takes some effort ought to try one of these things! I have no problem with the roid but I put plenty of back into spinning this thing up and it just stopped when it hit compression.
Next!

Wound it up on my little jump starter pack which had trouble winding it through compression so went and got  a decent N70 battery and put it on that.
Wound it up quite a bit and could see Diesel Vapour out the exhaust but no signs of life.  This thing has compression for days! I know diesels are high but this thing is solid.  After some cranking and Fiddling with no joy, I got the can of mower petrol, put some in the cap and threw it down the intake of the oil bath aircleaner.  Wound it over a Bit On the decompression lever, Dropped it and it went straight into life.

Nice sounding engine but the Noise all coes as usual from the air cleaner.
I run it a bit and throttling the thing up, it runs very clean with no black smoke and just a very light haze under acceleration. The fan on the radiator blows a gale. I couldn't ever imagine really getting one of these things hot even on a 40 o day under full grunt. The thing is quite smooth but you can see the effects of the compression when it slows down and rocks back and forth.  With a better air cleaner, I thik the engine would be pretty quiet over all.  I put my hand over the air intake and the noise dropped about 80%.

after running the thing a while and getting it warm, I re checked the oil and water and went to start it up again. Didn't want to know which was disappointing.  Drop of petrol down the intake and lit off first compression. Hmmmm.
Nothing wrong with the compression, nothing wrong with the way it runs.....
Returning to the learned knowledge of the ancient Diesel sages and years of experience, I went and got a water bottle and started Dribbling it into the intake. These things will digest so much water without dropping a rev it even surprised me.  I fed in about a litre over all and when I finished I noticed the thing had changed sound a LOT and the desirable Diesel Clack was back loud and clear.  First I thoughr, geez it's warmed up and got a bearing knock but that was just a mistaken thought after spending to much time with the dreaded petrol engines...... And a fellow that came in yesterday complaining the engine we sold him a few months ago was making funny noises...... Which we quickly determined was because the Dipstick came out as clean as it went in....

Ran it up some more noting there was also a significan't bark in the exhaust note now and the thing was running totally clean.  The engine was quite warm so I shut it down and went for a relight. Still doesn't want to know which is a bit Baffling.
Compression is Deadly, I would assume the injector is OK given the complete lack of smoke when running or accelerating, and the guy said the fuel was fresh and looks and smells like it.  Starts instantly with some petrol in the intake so I'm  a bit lost as to what may be the problem.  The battery was a wee bit tired after all the cranking so I put it on charge and I'll top off the fuel with the secret sauce additive Veg oil tomorrow and see what happens.
The thing doesn't wind over very fast but shouldn't have any trouble starting especially when hot.

I might set up a little peristaltic pump tomorrow and leave the thing run for a while with a steady water feed and put a few litres through the thing over an hour or 2 and see how that goes. really at a loss as to why it won't start without some help. Thing rocks back and forth under compression when it is slowing down to stop so I can't see lack of squeeze being the problem and it runs so clean and grunty as soon as it does fire.

Next thing will be to see if I can find a stub shaft for the thing without having to sell a Kidney to get it or work out a way to fabricate one up.