Author Topic: Picked up something interesting  (Read 3863 times)

broncodriver99

• View Profile
Picked up something interesting
« on: April 24, 2019, 02:41:53 PM »
Came across this and decided to pick it up. It is a Kirloskar KA-27. It weighs in at 200 lbs. It appears to be a roid'd version of a Farymann. The closest I can find is a Farymann L22. From what I gather online Kirloskar was attempting to get a foothold in the North American market in the late '70's and started importing these. I can't find much info on them so I am guessing they didn't sell many or they didn't turn out to be very good engines. I did manage to find a data sheet on it from a fella up in Canada. It has a rating range of 1.8 HP @ 1500 RPM up to 5 HP @3600 RPM.

I played around with it a little this afternoon. It turned over freely but got stuck at TDC. I assumed it was carbon buildup and was correct. I pulled the head which appears to be a nicely made aluminum piece which uses a copper ring head gasket. The cylinder jug is iron and the piston is aluminum. The cylinder appears to be glazed so it must have run at low loads. The rings were pretty gunked up but are now free and in good shape. I'm going to pull it down completely and check everything else out but so far it appears to be in good condition and surprisingly well made.

I will be a nice little prime mover @1500 RPM for a 1.25/1.5 KW generator head I salvaged from a Honda 1500 watt generator.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:44:09 PM by broncodriver99 »

Willw

• View Profile
Re: Picked up something interesting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 04:48:29 AM »
Hi Broncodriver99, here is a video of one running that I found on YouTube.

It sounds pretty healthy.

https://youtu.be/vjBVXXWQ4xM
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 12:45:25 PM »
A Kirloskar (KOEL)  built engine is quite a step above the average India import engine. It is a large outfit with real factories and quality control. I was lucky to get one of a small catch of thier Lister clones that made thier way here and it is the finest Listeroid I have had my fingers in.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 04:35:55 PM »
Thank you Willw. Sure is a noisy bugger at that speed.

Glort, that video does have quite the annoying tone to it. Hopefully some of it is just the camera they were using. Plus they are running it wide open. The muffler is a pepper pot style which doesn't do much to quiet them down. I will definitely be finding a different style muffler. The cowling definitely blows hot air across the air filter snorkel and the injector line is routed between the cooling fins on the head so I would also assume they were making an attempt to aid this engine in cold weather.

38AC, I have dug into this thing a little further and the quality is definitely far above what I expected from and Indian engine. I would go as far as to say it is nearly on par with a western produced engine. The governor mechanism is pretty intricate and very well made. All of the injection parts are Bosch Mico and have traceable numbers on them. There are QC marks all over and in this engine so either a real attempt was made at QC or they were really attempting to fake it.

More info to come as I pull it down for inspection.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 02:15:38 PM »
I watched the video again and I'm wondering if the noise we are hearing could be resonation of the wood that the engine is attached to.

Maybe the engine is just not heavy enough to plant the wood firmly enough to prevent vibration?

Broncodriver99, when you get her running how about you bolt her to 2 pieces of 4x4 wood, rest her on the ground, not concrete or a similar hard surface, and do a short video.

Some of us are looking forward to hearing and seeing yours run anyway, and it would be an interesting test.

BTW this manual features your KA27 as well as many other interesting engines. I am currently using mine as a guide while working on a Deutz F1L210D.

www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Diesel-Engine-Service-Manual-by-Intertec/264301193529?epid=118211926&hash=item3d89942939:g:W6cAAOSwIK1cxUs2
Too many projects.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
Also available in hardcover...
Too many projects.

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 02:55:33 PM »
Thanks again Willw. I do have one of those manuals on the way, should be here this week some time.

I will definitely shoot a video once it is up and running. I will try to remember to take pictures during the rest of the tear down and reassembly so I can post them up.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 03:28:47 PM by broncodriver99 »