Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Re: stratomatic 6-1 power hertz

(1/3) > >>

Lister Rob:
 I have a 6-1 startomatic and live in Canada, the generator is producing 50 hertz but the appliances here are 60 hertzs, I pluged in my tv and smoked that and is not working any more. Is there anything I can do to change the output from 50 to 60 hertzs.  Thanks.

mike90045:
frequency is controlled by engine RPM or pulley size.    One has to change.   I don't know the RPM specs for start-o-matics, but it might be as simple as increasing RPM till you get 60 hz ( or the flywheel cracks )

If you can't increase RPM, you change the generator head pulley.

Last resort, you use it to run a battery charger and then use a inverter to get 60 hz

guest23837:
Is it a modern tv? What voltage is it producing?

BruceM:
Something is fishy-  a modern tv set would not mind 50hz at proper RMS voltage.  Most modern switching power supplies for electronics and appliances will be fine.  If some modern kit failed, your voltage is the more likely problem.

Motors will not mind 50 hz either, assuming voltage is right, they just run a bit slower and at lower power.

You may have to fiddle with the generator voltage regulation to get voltage right if you increase generator head speed to 1800 rpm.  Increasing engine RPM...not a great idea for the 6/1 with iron piston, but viable with a switch to the aluminum piston of the 8/1 and rebalancing the engine for it...some lbs of lead opposite counterweight.  Changing the pulley on the generator head is likely your best solution but may prove difficult, thus I mention the aluminum piston and rings which could be had from Gary at Diesel Electric Services.

I'm not convinced that you must have 60hz-  what do you expect to power with it?

guest23837:
If its making 230/40 volts it could maybe fry an older 110volt TV. My tv seems to work at 200v and 240v and al voltages in between. I have a 230 volt supply

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version