Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 3043 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Brexit
« on: March 31, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
As a Brit living in Australia I have watched the total paralysis of the UK government with a mixture of shock, horror, despair and disbelief. I am damned glad I live where I do, I would hate to be ruled by these idiots. I think the attached photo of the UK Prime Minister sums it up.

Bob

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: Brexit
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 06:19:40 AM »
I second that motion Glort!
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »
I am a big fan of the monarchy, not because I believe that they are superior to us, but because people need someone to look up to and to rally behind when times are tough.

As an ex British serviceman, I swore allegiance to the Queen, not to whichever political party was in power at the time. I very much doubt that you would find anyone in the British armed forces who would put the word of parliament above the word of HM Queen. This is why the UK has not had any insurrections or coups since the civil war in the 1600`s.

I certainly understand the desire for independence from the monarchy but what are you going to replace them with? I have struggled to find anyone that would be able to fulfill the role in Australia. My best suggestion so far has been Dame Edna or Sir Les Patterson!

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »
And you think they've got problems?

This is turning into a wonderful study on how wonderful or possible total sovereignty really is.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
Being a queen must be very difficult and dangerous, being The Queen must be almost impossible. Irrespective of her position as  the monarch, she has no power to influence parliamentary debate. She does still have the power to prorogue parliament if she feels that they are behaving badly. Prorogation involves the monarch closing down parliament, for a short period, until they come to their senses.

I suspect there is so little sense left in the UK parliament that a short period would be inadequate. Perhaps there is still a chance that the UK will get out of the European Union and go back to being a global trading nation, which would be an enormous boost to all the former colony countries, but I doubt it.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
If Camilla was a horse, I wouldn`t ride it! What Charlie was thinking is a mystery to me, thankfully they are both to old to have kids, I hate ugly children.

I think and hope that William will do as good a job HM the Queen, only time will tell.

Sorry you had a run in with an obnoxious gay person, my Brother in Law is gay and one of the most caring and charming persons I have ever met. It always upsets me to see extreme members of our society spoil it for others, regardless of sexual orientation. Sadly some people are just nasty and should be slapped down or ignored by society.

My Brother in Law lives in Sydney but spends his time in Melbourne where he is the primary trainer for the role out of the national disability insurance scheme. When he does get home to Sydney he is a volunteer councilor for Beyond Blue and has saved the lives of countless people who were considering suicide. My greatest wish for him is that he finds a nice, decent gay man that he can happily spend the rest of his life with, they will both always be welcome in my home!

Today my Wife was asked to school a new member of staff at the local canoe center, turns out the lady is a militant vegan! I am so much looking forward to meeting this woman and explaining the stupidity of taking a job at a camp ground where they have a dozen different barbecues a night. As a member of the board I could have her fired if she causes a problem but I worry she might then get a job at the local abattoir and most of the local population would die of starvation!

It`s a f*cked up world, I wonder what God was thinking when he made it the way it is.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
No wonder the soap operas died.  They couldn't maintain high enough levels of insanity to be relevant.

You fellows need to lay back a bit and enjoy the show. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
Yes, Casey.  The show is certainly never-ending

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »
I'm pretty apolitical, I don't vote for anything, I have an opinion, but I don't moan about the state of the country (France or UK, or anywhere else for that matter) 'cos i didn't participate in the relevant election process.

However, looking at Brexit and the posts on here about Big Business, and way it controls our lives I don't think, in the case of Brexit, we have much to worry about. The UK is so close, geographically, to Europe that the financial and trade links will be impossible to sever. After all the German car industry is not going to build vehicles to a 'UK' spec any more than Maclaren will manufacture cars that are not EU compliant. EDF (the French national power company) will still be flogging it's excess nuclear power to the UK. Multiply that by everything else that crosses the English Channel, in either direction, and whatever the 'Sheeple' or the politicians are trying to do will soon fade into insignificance.

The rich will set it off against tax, the lower classes won't notice unless there's a drop in their social payments and the middle classes ( that's most of us on here) will be too busy trying to keep our heads above water making ends meet whilst paying inordinate taxes to finance the the 'Gubberment' that screwed the whole thing up in the name of political ambition. 

The worst case scenario is that those who live in the UK will have to get pay to get visas to go on holiday in Europe, and as that'll be mostly the middle classes they'll be screwed again, I'm staying in the Pyrenees - on the French side - 'till they throw me out.

Cheers
Stef

PS - Thanks Glort for the words Sheeple and Gubberment!

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

guest23837

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Brexit is a slow motion disaster. The people that really pushed for brexit, really wealthy people, won't suffer the aftermath of this. Lets be honest they lied and schemed to convince people that the UK would do better on it's own making massive deals with 3rd world countries whilst kicking Johnny foreigner out of Britain. They sing their tired refrain even when Johnny closes his factory leaving tens and hundreds even thousands of people unemployed. £300 million a week for health? Fantasy listen to these same idiots rolling back on this including saying they didn't MEAN that amount. More Jobs for British people? There's plenty of work in Britain if you don't like eating, washing yourself, wearing clothes and can sleep standing up in a doorway. Low paid low skilled minimum wage zero hours contract jobs that British people refuse to do and have refused to do for decades.
Imagine in 10 years UK roads populated with small Japanese cars, they are already right hand drive, driven by low paid, unmotivated manic depressives obese from eating chlorinated chicken and the high fat high sugar crap that is all they can afford.
Needless to say none of this will effect the wealthy pro brexit types

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 04:33:16 PM »
I'm pretty apolitical, I don't vote for anything, I have an opinion, but I don't moan about the state of the country (France or UK, or anywhere else for that matter) 'cos i didn't participate in the relevant election process.

I hear / read something like this every once in a while.  I find it a very strong political statement and policy.  It gives your power to others.  I appreciate you don't "moan" about outcomes but I urge you to vote your conscience.  The poll booth is the only place we're remotely equal.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator