Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 600 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Brexit
« on: March 31, 2019, 09:20:40 AM »
As a Brit living in Australia I have watched the total paralysis of the UK government with a mixture of shock, horror, despair and disbelief. I am damned glad I live where I do, I would hate to be ruled by these idiots. I think the attached photo of the UK Prime Minister sums it up.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
Re: Brexit
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 01:06:31 PM »

I understand the UK want to leave the EU but not sure why or what this deal is they are talking about.
Not sure what the for and against is either.

Of course the great diversionary tactic here when the pollies really are screwing things up is to wheel out the old Banana republic BS that we should leave the Commonwealth.

I am yet to hear one SINGLE reason as to how that would help oz and why we would be better off. I can see how it would cost billions to do it but I'm Fked if I can see any benefit. Not like the Monarchy is some over bearing, interfering  dictatorship that keeps us poor.
Our own bunch of idiot pollies do that very well.

Bit more interference from the monarchy could only be a good thing.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 06:19:40 AM »
I second that motion Glort!
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:36:38 AM »
I am a big fan of the monarchy, not because I believe that they are superior to us, but because people need someone to look up to and to rally behind when times are tough.

As an ex British serviceman, I swore allegiance to the Queen, not to whichever political party was in power at the time. I very much doubt that you would find anyone in the British armed forces who would put the word of parliament above the word of HM Queen. This is why the UK has not had any insurrections or coups since the civil war in the 1600`s.

I certainly understand the desire for independence from the monarchy but what are you going to replace them with? I have struggled to find anyone that would be able to fulfill the role in Australia. My best suggestion so far has been Dame Edna or Sir Les Patterson!

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:48:27 AM »
And you think they've got problems?

This is turning into a wonderful study on how wonderful or possible total sovereignty really is.
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 01:30:01 PM »
I am a big fan of the monarchy, not because I believe that they are superior to us, but because people need someone to look up to and to rally behind when times are tough.

I support staying with teh monarchy simply because they are our history and culture.
When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time with my grandparents and although they were born here, our family is of British decent and the influence was always strong in our families homes. There were many books about the queen and the empire and the royal family.
I remember when most of the TV programs were in fact British rather than from the US and the Non locally made cars were also British rather than Japanese.

Not saying that was a good thing at the time (Bloody unreliable cars!)  but that's the way it was.
IT's like the monarchy is lost on us now and I think that a shame because we are loosing all our Identity trying to appease everyone that comes inhere and adapting to them rather than they upholding OUR Aussie values which are inextricably Tied to our British heritage.

[/quote]As an ex British serviceman, I swore allegiance to the Queen,

As an ex Boyscout, I swore alligence to the queen as well.  That was another dose I got of the monarchy and took it very seriously.
Big pic of the queen in every scout hall and camp I ever saw. She was and is our supreme leader although I wish she would lead a bit more these days.
I'm sure her wisdom and experience would be a great help.

First job I ever had was photographing the Queen.
She came to the suburb where I lived as part of a visit tour and declared the place a City.
I was still at school but convinced a local paper I was some hot shot shooter and got the gig. Pic made the front page of the biggest daily in the city at the time being the owners of the local rag.  NFI how they got the pic so fast then but they did I was front page next day.
Only found the long lost scrap book with the cuttings a few months back.

I certainly understand the desire for independence from the monarchy

You'll have to explain it to me one day mate cause Buggered if I do. Only thing I can see in it is a bunch of useless whingers thinking we would gain something none of which I have asked can give me any tangible benefit. Lot of crap like we would be our own country and independent and similar rubbish but when I have asked how that would actually help us and in what way...... Crickets.

but what are you going to replace them with? I have struggled to find anyone that would be able to fulfill the role in Australia. My best suggestion so far has been Dame Edna or Sir Les Patterson!

Lets face it, their ideals and credibility is better than any pollie we have or have had that I can remember. Even ol Les wouldn't take any shit and bow down to stupid international ideals and he'd have the country's best interests at heart!
Booze would replace many other industry's we have lost as our main exports and trade earnings.  :P

I often think it must be tough being the queen.
Seeing the changes she has seen over her many years. Seeing the values she and everyone in the empire once he'd so dear go down the gurgler.
Working so hard to be the Pinnacle of integrity while her kids and family are screwing round, having breakups left right and center and acting no better than the common garbage at the other end of the scale.

She would have gone through being the most revered woman on the planet to some one most kids now wouldn't even know.
Went from being on the cover of the Womens Weekly 9 editions out of 10 to barely making the cover of any mag here once a year.  She must sob with despair having been involved in her country's Military defending against the Krauts and others to seeing her country invaded and over run by hoards far worse than anyone would have believed the enemy's of WWII to be. She must sit round wondering how it all went so damn pear shaped.

Would not be easy being HRH I reckon.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 10:29:53 AM »
Being a queen must be very difficult and dangerous, being The Queen must be almost impossible. Irrespective of her position as  the monarch, she has no power to influence parliamentary debate. She does still have the power to prorogue parliament if she feels that they are behaving badly. Prorogation involves the monarch closing down parliament, for a short period, until they come to their senses.

I suspect there is so little sense left in the UK parliament that a short period would be inadequate. Perhaps there is still a chance that the UK will get out of the European Union and go back to being a global trading nation, which would be an enormous boost to all the former colony countries, but I doubt it.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 01:08:48 PM »
Being a queen must be very difficult and dangerous,

Dangerous around me that's for sure.  Ripped into one the other week in the shopping centre. Monumental bad timing trying to give a young girl in the Jewellery shop a hard time when Daddy dropped in to go to lunch with her and is standing there listening  already having heard all about their antics from previous Visits and the upset caused.
Didn't know who I was but I doubt it will be coming back for a while if ever.

Seems they think being weirdos gives them some special right to be obnoxious and rude arseholes and get away with it. Not with this little brown duck.
Don't seem to like it much when they get their own back with interest and are embarrassed.
The feigned dramatic indignation and offense is far more see through than the makeup packed on trying to hide their 5 o'clock shadow.

being The Queen must be almost impossible.

That's for sure. Impossible to avoid negative criticism and nit picking whatever she does not to mention the being the original subject of fake news and more of it than any other person on the planet.

She's dove very well in my book. Had I the power she at least had, heads WOULD have rolled!

She's probably too disheartened and given up now to worry.

I don't think Royalty will mean much when she goes. She will be the last of the real, creditable Royals I think.
I don't think Chucky will command anywhere near the same respect if he steps up. Bit long in the tooth now anyway so would be far better handing over to Bill and be done with it.  Young enough but old enough, presentable wife, couple of kids, far more identifiable to the commoners and going to get far more support.

How the hell Chucky ever went behind Diana's back for that other old weather beaten hag I'll never know. That must have taken a set of beer goggles only a royal could afford and for that long.

One was definitely queen material, the other, better kept in the royal stables..... well out the back!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »
If Camilla was a horse, I wouldn`t ride it! What Charlie was thinking is a mystery to me, thankfully they are both to old to have kids, I hate ugly children.

I think and hope that William will do as good a job HM the Queen, only time will tell.

Sorry you had a run in with an obnoxious gay person, my Brother in Law is gay and one of the most caring and charming persons I have ever met. It always upsets me to see extreme members of our society spoil it for others, regardless of sexual orientation. Sadly some people are just nasty and should be slapped down or ignored by society.

My Brother in Law lives in Sydney but spends his time in Melbourne where he is the primary trainer for the role out of the national disability insurance scheme. When he does get home to Sydney he is a volunteer councilor for Beyond Blue and has saved the lives of countless people who were considering suicide. My greatest wish for him is that he finds a nice, decent gay man that he can happily spend the rest of his life with, they will both always be welcome in my home!

Today my Wife was asked to school a new member of staff at the local canoe center, turns out the lady is a militant vegan! I am so much looking forward to meeting this woman and explaining the stupidity of taking a job at a camp ground where they have a dozen different barbecues a night. As a member of the board I could have her fired if she causes a problem but I worry she might then get a job at the local abattoir and most of the local population would die of starvation!

It`s a f*cked up world, I wonder what God was thinking when he made it the way it is.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
No wonder the soap operas died.  They couldn't maintain high enough levels of insanity to be relevant.

You fellows need to lay back a bit and enjoy the show. 
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 07:16:08 PM »
Yes, Casey.  The show is certainly never-ending

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 10:37:55 PM »
I'm pretty apolitical, I don't vote for anything, I have an opinion, but I don't moan about the state of the country (France or UK, or anywhere else for that matter) 'cos i didn't participate in the relevant election process.

However, looking at Brexit and the posts on here about Big Business, and way it controls our lives I don't think, in the case of Brexit, we have much to worry about. The UK is so close, geographically, to Europe that the financial and trade links will be impossible to sever. After all the German car industry is not going to build vehicles to a 'UK' spec any more than Maclaren will manufacture cars that are not EU compliant. EDF (the French national power company) will still be flogging it's excess nuclear power to the UK. Multiply that by everything else that crosses the English Channel, in either direction, and whatever the 'Sheeple' or the politicians are trying to do will soon fade into insignificance.

The rich will set it off against tax, the lower classes won't notice unless there's a drop in their social payments and the middle classes ( that's most of us on here) will be too busy trying to keep our heads above water making ends meet whilst paying inordinate taxes to finance the the 'Gubberment' that screwed the whole thing up in the name of political ambition. 

The worst case scenario is that those who live in the UK will have to get pay to get visas to go on holiday in Europe, and as that'll be mostly the middle classes they'll be screwed again, I'm staying in the Pyrenees - on the French side - 'till they throw me out.

Cheers
Stef

PS - Thanks Glort for the words Sheeple and Gubberment!

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 11:20:47 PM »

Sorry you had a run in with an obnoxious gay person,

Being essentially a Bogan at heart Bob I have struggled to come to terms with the whole gay thing.  I find it is complex and not at all straight forward.

The freakshow in my daughters shop didn't even cross my mind as being gay, to me they are just attention seeking faggots. Last thing I would do is lump them in with gays even if they are because to me they are coming from a whole different mind set. In discussions about the incident at home, I'm pretty sure neither the Mrs or my daughter had a thought of them being gay or holding anything agaist gays  either through this clown.
To us they are just in another league.

My Nephew is gay and I do struggle with that a bit. Not because he's gay, but because he is one of those in your face drama queen types who just never lets it go. You can't have a conversation with him for a minute without there is some " i'm gay" reminder put in there somewhere.  i'd wearing.

I believe the gay public mindset at least is they want to be treated like everyone else.  Fine. If you want to be gay thats up to you but don't go ramming it down my throat all the time. So many of them want to do that which to me is a hypocrisy. And to be blunt, I don't see what your preference to sleep with blokes has to do with why you should talk with an accent, wear makeup, carry on in a stereotypical way and draw endless attention to yourself.
Not all do but clearly a lot go out of  their way to show their gayness.

I had a business mentor many years back whom I worked with for  about 18 months. I spoke to him one Christmas and asked if he had a wife or kids? He laughed and said I'm gay, didn't you know? I said I don't remember it ever coming up before so no I didn't.  The  guy was like any other bloke in the street.  I'm not to bright admittedly but  never dawned on me.
Unlike my nephew and others, he didn't do the dramatics, wear makeup, ladys perfume, talk funny and all but have a sign on him in pink saying " I'm gay".  He was like anyone else doing what made him happy and not trying to draw attention to himself which is what shits me to tears with them.
I don't think I'd have ever picked him as gay.

Mate and I were looking at buying a restaurant in an area of the city this guy called " Gay Central" . He was quite scathing of the overt gays and strongly recommended we not hire anyone that going out of their way to show how gay they were. His opinion was before we knew it they would be demanding we run the place the way they wanted it run or dragging us through industrial relations or discrimination tribunals. Unfortunately we got Gazumped on that particular potential gold mine so it never came up but his position on gays was something I won't forget.

I don't get the desire to prove one's gayness. Not like we have a Straight march through town with the guys in blue singlets and stubbys shorts Holding a VB in one hand and a winfield in the other with the GF or wife and a couple of kids with them showing how hetro they are. The fact you are a bloke and your partner is a bloke is pretty much all I need to see to know and If I don't pick up on it, what's the difference? Didn't you want to be treated like everyone else?  If I don't know then that's exactly what you are going to get.

Clearly that's a load of crap and they most certainly DO want to be treated and thought of as " special'.
iF that's the lifestyle you choose, that's Fine, WTF you have to make such a big song and dance about it for and draw so much attention to yourself with it for?

TBH, I'm a bit worried about my nephew.  He's not a happy camper. I'm not sure why, I have pushed myself to try and get a bit close to him and get him to open up or at least try to figure out what is going on but the closer I get the more I see how mixed up and less than ideal things are with him.
It seems my daughter is one of his closest confidants but he seems to also want to annoy her with his gayness.  She often tells him to stop being such an annoying little poof and man the fk up.

The bit that amazes me is he has SO many Hot young straight Chick Friends.  It's like every girl he knows is hotter than hell. I said to my daughter the other night when she was shoing me some pics how the hell hanging out with girls that look like that does not straighten him out. Apparently one of the very attractive and intelligent ( so I am told) ones really has a crush on him but so far, no success.

There are a couple of guys that my son met through the soccer club that are gay and also guys that I wouldn't Pick as being so.  They have the normal gay trait of looking after themselves and always presenting Immaculately which the rest of us would probably do better with the women if we followed suite but no dramatics and carry on, no holding hands or doing anything else any other bloke wouldn't do.  They are just salt of the earth guys that fit in, never make a scene or stand out in anyway and can make a joke at their own expense.
Extremely likeable blokes that have been very kind to us.

OF course then there are the weirdos in the jewellery shop that are in a class of their own. I don't even mind they want to make themselves look like freaks but as before, I have found they go out their way to be rude and obnoxious like they are superior to everyone else. I don't care if they are wearing a dress or a blue singlet and stubbies, the attitude and thinking they can be offensive gits is what gets my back up.

They would have got exactly the same if they had been straight and talking to the girls in the shop as they did because its simply uncalled for and against  normal social standards and expectations.  If it was grandma talking like that I would have put a cranky old cow in her place just the same.

As for them being gay, Like I said, never entered my head because to me they don't relate at all.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 11:38:48 PM »

I'm staying in the Pyrenees - on the French side - 'till they throw me out.

You live in a picture postcard scenic utopia paradise Stef, I sure as hell wouldn't be going anywhere if I lived where you do either!   ;D

PS - Thanks Glort for the words Sheeple and Gubberment!

I have a few more but probably not fitting to be published here.   :-[

Johndoh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2019, 04:15:07 PM »
Brexit is a slow motion disaster. The people that really pushed for brexit, really wealthy people, won't suffer the aftermath of this. Lets be honest they lied and schemed to convince people that the UK would do better on it's own making massive deals with 3rd world countries whilst kicking Johnny foreigner out of Britain. They sing their tired refrain even when Johnny closes his factory leaving tens and hundreds even thousands of people unemployed. 300 million a week for health? Fantasy listen to these same idiots rolling back on this including saying they didn't MEAN that amount. More Jobs for British people? There's plenty of work in Britain if you don't like eating, washing yourself, wearing clothes and can sleep standing up in a doorway. Low paid low skilled minimum wage zero hours contract jobs that British people refuse to do and have refused to do for decades.
Imagine in 10 years UK roads populated with small Japanese cars, they are already right hand drive, driven by low paid, unmotivated manic depressives obese from eating chlorinated chicken and the high fat high sugar crap that is all they can afford.
Needless to say none of this will effect the wealthy pro brexit types
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness