Author Topic: Smoke billowing out of intake.  (Read 4267 times)

LR1MICK

• View Profile
Smoke billowing out of intake.
« on: March 22, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
Hello

Got the LR1 out today and decided to giver her a run, however it started kicking backwards and when she did start billowed blacksmoke out the air filter?? So i shut it down.

It is a conventional clockwise rotation engine.

Why has this happened?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 03:56:46 PM by LR1MICK »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: Smoke billowing out of intake.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
The short answer is probably 'timing'

the longer one is that when it hit the compression stroke it bounced back just after the injector popped, when it went all the way around, almost two revolutions to the compression stroke from the other side it fired, passed TDC and continued to run.

The injector would have popped, albeit in the wrong position and the sequence repeated it's self.

Without a lot of thought, for which I don't have time, 'cos I'm off up the pub in a few minuets, there's probably less charge air when the motor runs backwards, leading to an overfueling situation, hence the black smoke.

Check the timing, and if that's ok crank harder to get it past TDC in the correct direction!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

LR1MICK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »
Cheers Stef i will check the timing as i havent disturbed that. Its never done this before!

Cheers

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
I agree with what Stef said. The only other thing I can think of is the decompressor lever needs adjusting if it is not opening the exhaust valve during cranking, alternatively you might have a build up of oil or other fluid in the cylinder, this would increase the compression to the point where you could not swing it passed TDC. Now that it has fired (all be it backwards) that problem should have cleared itself.

Let us know how you go.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
Wow Seff, what a great looking place to go for a couple of beers. I used to love to ski and would spend £10,000 per year going from resort to resort looking for places exactly like that. You have no idea how lucky you are to live in the mountains, away from the heat and pollution. I am hoping that my doctor will allow me to go to New Zealand this winter, hell I miss the snow!

Bob

LR1MICK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 10:17:26 AM »
Thanks for your comments chaps. Thankfully its a oil bath air filter so its not too badly soiled. I have heard a loose injection pump clamp may give similar trouble?? I will check it. Cheers
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:19:22 AM by LR1MICK »

LR1MICK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 11:24:55 AM »
All sorted now running fine thanks chaps

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »
France it is then. Sorry Stef looks like we are going to come and pollute your part of the world. I`ve skied in Andorra, which is between where Stef lives and Spain, a very beautiful part of the world regardless of the season, it`s also duty free so a bottle of your favorite tipple will be very cheap.

Funding shouldn`t be a problem, I remember the UK arts council giving a sizable grant to three art students to carry a railway sleeper around Wales, if I remember rightly they stipulated that the sleeper had to be painted yellow, although I have no idea why.

Another similar grant was given to the East Anglia mountain rescue team. (There are no mountains in East Anglia, there aren`t even any hills!)

Perhaps if we declared ourselves to be a persecuted minority group (internal combustion advocates) we could get funding to protect us from the environmental lobby. If we declared ourselves to be ethnically diverse and gender questionable, government agencies should be falling over themselves to give us money. Sadly we are a bit short of athletes, the Olympic committee has an almost unlimited budget when it comes to providing training camps in unlikely places. If we fill in an application claiming to be a transgender bunch of persecuted Aboriginal rev heads with a desire to participate in the Olympics we should be fine.

As a Pommie I could easily get myself deported back to the UK. From Heathrow it`s only a two hour flight to Toulouse, from there it`s only about a four hour drive.

Sounds good to me guys, I`m in.

Bob

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
Ja, I'm in.  Ed and I could apply for refugee status, being a persecuted minority here down south on the other continent

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
Alas, I've been pretty much homebound for 20 yrs. Blown away today from 3 trips to the hospital for I-131 thyroid scan the last two day, in preparation for nuking what's left of it.  Then hope that I don't have a replay of runaway epilepsy from thyroid medication, which I think I can avoid thanks to Grossman Cynomel, which I seem to tolerate.

Willw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 04:58:35 PM »
LR1MICK: were you able to determine what caused the engine to run backwards?
I had a similar problem but did not come to a real conclusion as to why it was happening.
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

LR1MICK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »
Im not 100% sure why this happened, i gave everything a once over, put some more diesel in and away it went?? I think the hot compressed air in the cylinder must have pushed the piston back down as i stopped cranking and ignited the fuel that was injected. I will try to avoid stopping cranking over tdc in future haha

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 10:12:48 PM »
Hi LR1MICK and Willw

Take a little break, and think of the Pyrenees snow paradise. Enjoy the moment... "The dream commands life".

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:13 AM »
 Not the first diesel that ran backwards after being almost stalled.
 Did it myself the first time down the pulling track with a John Deere two cylinder diesel 720 in 3rd gear instead of in 2nd . She was lugging down and I was 100 milli seconds too slow pulling the clutch. She kicked over and ran backwards blowing smoke and the oil bath air cleaner oil out the intake stack. Oil all over the hood and myself. 
   Fortunately the V4 gas starting engine was in good tune and fired up or that would have added to the embarrassment . Rolled it over 7 to 8 revolutions without compression before the oil pump re-primed and the pressure gauge began reading. Added compression and fuel and she barked to life.