Puppeteer

Author Topic: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine  (Read 1394 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the ebay site Willw, I have ordered a couple of oiler rings from him.

Today I had to go see the shrink again, about renewing my gun licence, guess what she is not prepared to certify me as sane and worthy of a gun licence until I have undergone all the surgery I have scheduled and I have settled my dispute with the insurance companies. This is likely to take 18 months or more, while my weapons stay in my gun cabinet, on my property with my having 24/7 access to them. The shrink bills the gubermint $250 a month for each assessment, so she has every reason to continue doing so for as long as possible. Had I been homicidal or suicidal the regulators would have been two and a half years too late. What a crock of Sh1t!  >:(

The Australian law states that a policeman/woman must inspect my gun storage every year, I haven`t seen one for six years! Typical of gubermint to enact laws they they can`t afford to implement and enforce. I have for years, wondered what would happen if I found an intruder trying to steal my weapons. Since my license is suspended, legally I am not allowed to touch them, so I have to stand by and watch the criminal steal my weapons, which he could then use to kill me and my wife.

The alternative is that I break the law and use my weapons to persuade the perpetrator to foxtrot oscar, at which point he will phone the police to report the incident and I will be arrested and charged because the perps will be long gone and it will be far too expensive to track them down and I will be an easy conviction.

I suspect that the answer to all of this is to report a break in, weapons stolen and wave my hands in the air.  Any later intruder will be given the option to FO, failing that there are hundreds of thousands of acres of state forest around here.

Anyway, my rant for the day is over so I should tell you all about how my engine restoration is going.

I have stripped and cleaned the cylinder head. I spent eight hours with files, chisels and etc cleaning out the baked on mud wasps nests, I then sank the entire assembly into a vat of caustic soda. I left it overnight to soften and I then connected it to the battery on my ride on lawnmower, while still submerged (electrolysis). It has come out very nicely and has been spray painted with a high temperature exhaust manifold paint. I will leave the paint to dry overnight and then it will go on the barbecue to bake in the morning.

sirpedrosa

• Just another day hoping hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Hi Bob

Nothing like your engine to get you out of those gun ideas.

I liked that of the "foxtrot oscar".

But if some intruder escapes into the forest, it gets easier to catch him, you throw fire into the forest that he's going to come out. Lol, just kiding... Winter just gonne and we have already fires.

I'll selling my "irons" to buy parts for the Lister.

And now we also have the psychologist for the renewal of the license (I do not need it because I'm still in the active, but once retired it has to be, so I'll dispatch them sooner).

You did eletrolysis with caustic soda? That is dangerous. Why not with sodium carbonate?

Cheers
VP
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:14:25 PM by sirpedrosa »
Bernard 18A - 1968

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »

Engine is coming on real Nice bob. Something to look forward to and speed up the healing process.

When I got my Pistol License I was supposed to have the gun safe inspected first.  There is a lot of back and forward with handguns ( hate to think what bullshit there is now) and I took the forms to the local cop shop  and the guy signed off on everything by mistake.  Had 4 then that were kept at the range but he signed to transfer them into my care.

I pointed it out and he said do you have a safe? I said yeah, been waiting on you to look at it.  He said no worries, I'll make an appointment and you can take them home anyway.  COOL! Then he ran round the station showing the other cops all my toys.   ::)

About 8 appointments and 6 Months later the guy finally came to see it.  So many times he'd say  there were no cars available. I'd tell him, I am literally 3 Min and 2 corners away, Nup, I'll see you week after next.... and the next month cause he's on hols then will be in court and then....

Walked in when he finally did turn up, Kicked  the safe and said that's not going anywhere, no worries.  They had to be bolted through a floor Joist ( which it was just coach bolted into) so I said I'll show you where to get under the house to inspect it. Bit if a tight squeeze.... Nup, no worries, all good. I said but you have to inspect it. He said there is nothing to inspect or you wouldn't be so keen for me to look at it.
Sales.... greatest skill in the world.  ;D

Thought about getting my Pistol license again, I really miss comp shooting and I was pretty good at it.  I have looked at it and The crap they have now I couldn't be bothered.  I doubt they would give me one on Phsyc grounds either but then again I don't even know if they still look at that unless you have had some legal incident and I haven't so.....
The one thing that got me with shooting was you could be on a range with 30 hand cannons going off around you ( I used to shoot falling plate with high power factor a lot) and getting the hell stung out of you with the back splatter and it was the ONLY time in my life, then or now, I really could clear my mind of everything and be in my zen  or whatever the fk it is  when you are really calm and clear headed and can just peacefully concentrate. Never been able to do that at any other time.

And then I see these people like golfers and billiard players that go into a hissy fit because a Budgerigar that was 200M away passed wind while they were lining up a shot and the noise threw them off.   ::)  Take a tablespoon of concrete and harden the fk up!

Talking about break in's......

I once interrupted a Robbery at my favourite Pizza place I used to go to every tuesday night after gun Club.  Shooting, Pizza and home just in time to watch star trek that came on at 11:30 then.  Tuesday was a GOOD night.
Was standing at the counter with my gun briefcase I always took in cause I wouldn't leave them in the car and these 2 Clowns come in with this Knife and threatened the owner and his Mrs for the money in the till.  Right while I'm standing there 3M away.

I opened my briefcase and Said just take my money and leave them alone.  Next thing they were looking down the barrel of my little pet Gp100 .357.
It's true, people actually can turn white right in front of your eyes. It they had a brain they would have easily seen the Cylinders were empty and no one carrys a loaded wheel gun in a briefcase but then again if they were smart they wouldn't be trying to roll Pizza shops.

They left in a big hurry then took me the next 15 Min to convince the owners wife not to call the cops because I would get in trouble.  Took some explaining that even though I stopped these guys and I was helping them, I  still was not supposed to have my guns with me and not supposed to stop anywhere between the range and home. I don't think she ever really understood  how it could be possible I would get in trouble for stopping people robbing them.  That was a long time back and things were screwed up even then.  One guy in the club had bogan neighbors that got a skin full and smashed a window and were yelling at him to come out his house one night.  So he did, with a ( unloaded) shotgun.  He nearly lost his licenses for that and the bogans got away Scott free.

I always felt the Pizza guy was wary of me because sometimes I'd forget to take my holster off and walk in there with my bag. I think he saw me open it once to get my wallet saw what was in there and was worried I was going to roll him. 
After that, he and his wife were always very friendly  and must have said thank you to me every week I went there for about 2 months till i asked them to stop.   They never let me pay for Months. It was a bit embarrassing after a while but they would never take take anything Till I said I couldn't come back any more.  Then I always got free extra's like garlic bread and home cooked pasta. 
Such lovely people. Every time I see a pizza I see them in my mind and remember things from back then.

What I wouldn't give to go back to that time in my life. Ground hog day of a few years there would have been so much more preferable to going forward that's for sure.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Hi Guys, what irritates me is that guns don`t kill people, it`s people that kill people, guns just make it easier. If I wanted to off myself or someone else it would be easy. I have a kitchen full of knives and a medicine cabinet full of legally acquired prescription drugs. In my shed I have enough tools to build a house including four chainsaws, log splitters, axes, dozens of razor sharp chisels and etc. Why do they believe that I am now such a hazard to myself and the community when the really dark days were 2 years ago, and I got through them unaided and without killing anyone!  >:(

Anyway back to engines. The painted cylinder head component went on the BBQ this morning, the temperature was allowed to climb up to 500 Fahrenheit. They were then allowed to cool slowly. Once cool, the valves were lapped with a fine grinding paste.(please see photos)

There is no seat for the bottom of the valve springs to locate in so the designers included a brass ferule, which goes onto the valve guide. Please note that I fixed these in place with some gasket silicon which should provide an oil tight seal and stop things moving around, I will clean off the excess once it has hardened. (see photo)

Finally I fitted the springs and rocker assembly, there is a little adjustment in the rocker assembly to ensure that the rockers strike the valves cleanly, I will adjust this later once the head is fitted to the cylinder and the push rods are fitted. (see photo)

I have now started the awful job of striping down the small piston pump that I intend to couple to my engine. It is very badly seized up and I had to cut the main shaft into three pieces to dismantle it. It will be easy to turn a new shaft on the lathe, trying to press out the old bearings and pulley wheels would have broken the base casting which would be a bugger to repair. I`ll post some pics tomorrow.

VP, why did I do electrolysis in caustic soda? Because I am lazy and couldn`t be bothered with swapping out all the fluids, worked out OK.

Glort, if there is something that gives you peace of mind and clarity of thought please go and do it, regardless of the cost and aggravation involved.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2019, 12:26:28 PM »

Geez Bob, For an incapacitated man you sure are going ahead with this at a good rate.
You will be able to open that Vintage engine repair shop when you have recovered from your Op.
I'm sure this will make a more than fine engine for rallys or if you wanted to put it to work.

I was commenting on another forum  about an incident that happened a couple of Fridays back.
Talking about gun Control ( of course) and I said everything I need to commit an atrocity or level buildings is right at bunnings.  I said half the things I play and experiment with need a lot of attention not to take myself and half the neighbour hood out. I said every DIY person out there knows how to take things out because they know what not to do and not having a gun would not be any kind of a hindrance.  I pointed out what had been done with cars and trucks let alone knives and the the moronic stupidity of thinking miracle away guns even if you could would stop sickos hurting people was as ignorant as they were moronic to think it would change a thing.

I mentioned my Hydrogen experiment and how easy it would be to make a very explosive gas with nothing more than drain cleaner and water and put it in a gas tank and encase that in whatever I wanted  and take out everyone within 100M. I said forget Bunnings, give me the Cleaning aisle at the supermarket and run for your Life!  ::)

One looney lefty sook then made a big song and dance of having reported me to the national security hotline and said I was a threat and could be a risk to people. Clearly thought he was real clever and the thought police would be banging down my door in hours.
Unfortunately it backfired and the owner of the site kicked him for wasting the agency's time and bringing everyone and the forum under the microscope just because he didn't like what was being said.

Lets face it, who here couldn't make some devise or know how to take people out?  We know what not to do and what we have to be careful of not to take ourselves out. It's hardly a sinsister plot to cause anarchy. What shits me is as soon as anything hit the fan, these softcocks would be running to the DIY types like we all are here to help and look after their useless arses.

After an incident a few years back my doc had me running back every week, at least. After a bit and realizing every thing was as good as could be expected, she said something and on a rare occasion of being on the ball, I asked if I was on Suicide watch or something?  She was cagey but as good as admitted I was.

I laughed and said You have no idea what I do for fun and interest. If I wanted to off myself I'd fire up my DIY  generator to about 600V that will do 15A and make it look like an accident so my Mrs could get the life insurance money.  I said there would be no half measures, I have to try hard NOT to off myself, no shortage of ways in my mind to do it.

Who the hell wouldn't know if you want to off yourself all you have to do is sit in the bath and drop in any electrical appliance or even a lead that's plugged in  or take a heap of over the counter pain killers and booze and game over.

Also amazes me how the soft of heart and head think gun laws will prevent people getting killed when clearly the people that do such things are not worried about laws concerning murder which don't get any tougher far as i know.

I'd like to hook some of these morons up to one of the spark plug leads on my ute for 10 Sec and give it a rev.
Electro shock therapy couldn't do them any harm even if it didn't wake these clowns up and do them any good.  >:(

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
Hi Glort, if I were of the homicidal type I`d not be buggering about with chemicals or hydrogen. Liquid Petroleum Gas is just as effective, you don`t need a licence to buy it and its available in every town on earth. I`ll leave designing a delivery and ignition system to your imagination. (I am in no way advocating this sort of behavior, just pointing out the inadequacy of government thinking).

Back to engines and etc, I have stripped down the old piston pump. It is in a very sorry condition with all the moving parts worn beyond repair, fortunately the main brass castings are in very good condition, everything else I can reproduce.

The cast iron base has been cleaned, primed and had it`s first coat of Brunswick Green. In the morning I will start to build the trolley cart that it will sit on. Looking forward to a bit of carpentry for a change, it will be nice to fire up the planner and thicknesser  after all this time.

14 days to surgery, got a lot to do before then!  :laugh:

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2019, 10:45:55 AM »

That's an Aussie icon you have there Bob, a Marino Pump.  Named after the sheep that were all over this place once..... and now are not.
Then again, NZ is supposed to be over run with sheep but all the times I have been there I have seen far more cows.

I don't know if they were supposed to be Brunswick Green though, they are Aussie not Pommie ya know!   :laugh:

I wonder if anyone in any country town has ever put 2+2 together and thought to themselves when someone comes in asking for Brunswick green, " Ah yeah, another old fart doing up a Vintage engine".

Got to admit, I did ( mostly) like the colour wee willy winky pained his  $20,000/ 8000/12000/222000/ 10000/12000 again engine in a tan colour with highlights. That wasn't bad except for some red bits  here and there that looks stupid but the rest was OK.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
Hey Glort, the original colour was green. Sadly there isn`t enough of it left to determine the actual shade of green, so I`m going with what I`ve got. It was made in Brisbane and has a patent number but no date. Strangely all the moving parts are metric sizes rather than imperial. I guess the founders were European rather than British or American.

While I`m here I would like you guys to take a look at this: http://www.usdebtclock.org/

This is probably the most frightening thing I have ever seen, average income per capita in the US $32,000. Debt per US taxpayer at $180,000. National debt rising so fast the graphics can`t display it! Might be time to hunker down, bad times are coming. There is no way the US government can keep a lid on this indefinitely and when it goes bad you can be sure it will go bad worldwide.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2019, 10:00:13 PM »

The US Debt is no surprise Bob. They have been careering down the debt road for many years now and I think if anything in more recent times they have put the brakes on a touch compared to what they were doing some years back.  I was reading a while back from several sources they owed China more than they were worth.

Then again, I look at other parts of that table and they say China and every other country owes big time so i'm not sure of the paramaters they are measuring or what the results mean.
I personally think a more worrying thing is on another page of the site where it lists Population numbers.
The modern business model is all about growth and you need more people for that but how many you can have and still have a decent life style and support them is something else.

This is the reason you will never find me giving to one of those " Feed the starving" charities.  They have been trying to save the starving for 50 years since I was a kid at school. If they have been at it 50 years and by their own accounts, the problem has got worse, then it's a terrible failure ( or a complete Money making scam) and needs to be looked at one way or the other.

I don't think we need to worry about world economy as much as we do the power grid in this country.  I see that as far more of a risk to lifestyle  and the population than anything else right now.  If we have a total grid Collapse, families will be going hungry and there will be anarchy right here in Oz.
No power, no nothing really.

Morons were contacting 000 the other week when farceboob was down. Imagine the rioting when not only can't they get face waste but they can't even charge their life support machine!

Citys will be burned tot he ground because they won't know what the hell else to do and have no way of anyone telling them how to think as usual.

sirpedrosa

• Just another day hoping hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Hi Bob

You can't trust does figures. As US president daily says, it's all fake news, so those numbers are also fake numbers.

Those clocks are simple to hypnotize people, and so they think it's there won blame.

Enjoy a beer while they tik on.

Cheers
VP
Bernard 18A - 1968

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
Well guys I`m sure you all think I`ve been sitting on my arse doing nothing, I have however built a nice little display cart. All of this has been done with out spending any money, with the exception of the new wheels that cost eight dollars each.

The wearing surfaces at the front are made from an old chopping board, my Wife got a new one and I re-purposed the old one.The front pivot is and old wrist pin from my Lister ST2. I think this is going to turn out rather well, once it`s had another couple of coats of boiled linseed oil.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
A couple more pics to show where I am trying to go with this

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2019, 01:21:36 PM »

Very Nice Bob!
Looks like furniture quality.

I'll be sure to remember not to put up pics of any trolleys I build to save myself the embarrassment!

The Nylon Chopping board was a great idea.  I'll steal that one ( and the Mrs Chopping board) for sure!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the kind comments.  I have been busy making an adapter plate, three studs below and four above to  allow me to mount the ETB onto the Marino pump chassis. See photos.

I have now mounted the engine and fitted the fan shroud, along with the wind driven governor assembly. See photos.

I will be fitting the flywheel in the morning, once the paint has dried.

God it gives me the sh1ts when I go to the steel stockist and ask him for a piece of 25mm  bright steel round bar, when I get home I find that the muppet has given me one inch bright mild steel round bar that won`t fit in the metric bearings I purchased.
I have two choices, turn it down to 25mm or do a 100km round trip to get a replacement!  >:(

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
Just a couple more photos to keep you happy.

Bob