Puppeteer

Author Topic: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine  (Read 21203 times)

Willw

• View Profile
Re: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2019, 04:50:52 PM »
Hi Ajaffa1, I buy hard to find piston rings from this guy in Greece. He sells them by bore size and ring thickness, and I have had good service from him.

In his Ebay store click on "cylinders, pistons, mufflers" then click on" individual piston rings". You can choose based on your old rings, and if necessary repair a worn ring groove by purchasing a  thicker ring, them widening your worn ring groove in a lathe to match the new ring.

He advertises rings from 19mm to 450mm. That's 3/4 inch to 18 inches. That's some range :o

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Piston-Ring-Set-for-BRIGGS-STRATTON-76-2-mm-3-000-499921-391669/170915005624?epid=1400654809&hash=item27cb5404b8:g:grcAAOSwjKFZOb5u&frcectupt=true
Daily driver '97 GMC W4 tipper on WVO/Kerosene mix.
6/1 clone standby generator.
Too many projects.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2019, 09:57:49 PM »
Hi Bob

+1 to Stef, I'm with him.

And I think there is nothing fancy with that piston, because from what I have studied and researched, the ancients spent much time studying things in detail.

I think the geometry of that piston was studied for the way of expansion of the combustion at the moment of injection, so that the pressure in the cylinder head does not cause stress in the metals.

Bob, you're restoring an engine that was dead, the small gaps will be the only thing that will allow it to work. You just want it to work, not the maximum speed.

My Bernard has the intake valve with a brutal axial clearance, so I know I should not squeeze with it.

Good work, keep on.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
Hi Guys, thanks for the ebay site Willw, I have ordered a couple of oiler rings from him.

Today I had to go see the shrink again, about renewing my gun licence, guess what she is not prepared to certify me as sane and worthy of a gun licence until I have undergone all the surgery I have scheduled and I have settled my dispute with the insurance companies. This is likely to take 18 months or more, while my weapons stay in my gun cabinet, on my property with my having 24/7 access to them. The shrink bills the gubermint $250 a month for each assessment, so she has every reason to continue doing so for as long as possible. Had I been homicidal or suicidal the regulators would have been two and a half years too late. What a crock of Sh1t!  >:(

The Australian law states that a policeman/woman must inspect my gun storage every year, I haven`t seen one for six years! Typical of gubermint to enact laws they they can`t afford to implement and enforce. I have for years, wondered what would happen if I found an intruder trying to steal my weapons. Since my license is suspended, legally I am not allowed to touch them, so I have to stand by and watch the criminal steal my weapons, which he could then use to kill me and my wife.

The alternative is that I break the law and use my weapons to persuade the perpetrator to foxtrot oscar, at which point he will phone the police to report the incident and I will be arrested and charged because the perps will be long gone and it will be far too expensive to track them down and I will be an easy conviction.

I suspect that the answer to all of this is to report a break in, weapons stolen and wave my hands in the air.  Any later intruder will be given the option to FO, failing that there are hundreds of thousands of acres of state forest around here.

Anyway, my rant for the day is over so I should tell you all about how my engine restoration is going.

I have stripped and cleaned the cylinder head. I spent eight hours with files, chisels and etc cleaning out the baked on mud wasps nests, I then sank the entire assembly into a vat of caustic soda. I left it overnight to soften and I then connected it to the battery on my ride on lawnmower, while still submerged (electrolysis). It has come out very nicely and has been spray painted with a high temperature exhaust manifold paint. I will leave the paint to dry overnight and then it will go on the barbecue to bake in the morning.

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2019, 02:12:50 PM »
Hi Bob

Nothing like your engine to get you out of those gun ideas.

I liked that of the "foxtrot oscar".

But if some intruder escapes into the forest, it gets easier to catch him, you throw fire into the forest that he's going to come out. Lol, just kiding... Winter just gonne and we have already fires.

I'll selling my "irons" to buy parts for the Lister.

And now we also have the psychologist for the renewal of the license (I do not need it because I'm still in the active, but once retired it has to be, so I'll dispatch them sooner).

You did eletrolysis with caustic soda? That is dangerous. Why not with sodium carbonate?

Cheers
VP
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 02:14:25 PM by sirpedrosa »
By order of firing up:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »
Hi Guys, what irritates me is that guns don`t kill people, it`s people that kill people, guns just make it easier. If I wanted to off myself or someone else it would be easy. I have a kitchen full of knives and a medicine cabinet full of legally acquired prescription drugs. In my shed I have enough tools to build a house including four chainsaws, log splitters, axes, dozens of razor sharp chisels and etc. Why do they believe that I am now such a hazard to myself and the community when the really dark days were 2 years ago, and I got through them unaided and without killing anyone!  >:(

Anyway back to engines. The painted cylinder head component went on the BBQ this morning, the temperature was allowed to climb up to 500 Fahrenheit. They were then allowed to cool slowly. Once cool, the valves were lapped with a fine grinding paste.(please see photos)

There is no seat for the bottom of the valve springs to locate in so the designers included a brass ferule, which goes onto the valve guide. Please note that I fixed these in place with some gasket silicon which should provide an oil tight seal and stop things moving around, I will clean off the excess once it has hardened. (see photo)

Finally I fitted the springs and rocker assembly, there is a little adjustment in the rocker assembly to ensure that the rockers strike the valves cleanly, I will adjust this later once the head is fitted to the cylinder and the push rods are fitted. (see photo)

I have now started the awful job of striping down the small piston pump that I intend to couple to my engine. It is very badly seized up and I had to cut the main shaft into three pieces to dismantle it. It will be easy to turn a new shaft on the lathe, trying to press out the old bearings and pulley wheels would have broken the base casting which would be a bugger to repair. I`ll post some pics tomorrow.

VP, why did I do electrolysis in caustic soda? Because I am lazy and couldn`t be bothered with swapping out all the fluids, worked out OK.

Glort, if there is something that gives you peace of mind and clarity of thought please go and do it, regardless of the cost and aggravation involved.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 08:09:56 AM »
Hi Glort, if I were of the homicidal type I`d not be buggering about with chemicals or hydrogen. Liquid Petroleum Gas is just as effective, you don`t need a licence to buy it and its available in every town on earth. I`ll leave designing a delivery and ignition system to your imagination. (I am in no way advocating this sort of behavior, just pointing out the inadequacy of government thinking).

Back to engines and etc, I have stripped down the old piston pump. It is in a very sorry condition with all the moving parts worn beyond repair, fortunately the main brass castings are in very good condition, everything else I can reproduce.

The cast iron base has been cleaned, primed and had it`s first coat of Brunswick Green. In the morning I will start to build the trolley cart that it will sit on. Looking forward to a bit of carpentry for a change, it will be nice to fire up the planner and thicknesser  after all this time.

14 days to surgery, got a lot to do before then!  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 12:12:40 PM »
Hey Glort, the original colour was green. Sadly there isn`t enough of it left to determine the actual shade of green, so I`m going with what I`ve got. It was made in Brisbane and has a patent number but no date. Strangely all the moving parts are metric sizes rather than imperial. I guess the founders were European rather than British or American.

While I`m here I would like you guys to take a look at this: http://www.usdebtclock.org/

This is probably the most frightening thing I have ever seen, average income per capita in the US $32,000. Debt per US taxpayer at $180,000. National debt rising so fast the graphics can`t display it! Might be time to hunker down, bad times are coming. There is no way the US government can keep a lid on this indefinitely and when it goes bad you can be sure it will go bad worldwide.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2019, 02:20:50 PM »
Hi Bob

You can't trust does figures. As US president daily says, it's all fake news, so those numbers are also fake numbers.

Those clocks are simple to hypnotize people, and so they think it's there won blame.

Enjoy a beer while they tik on.

Cheers
VP
By order of firing up:

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2019, 11:22:44 AM »
Well guys I`m sure you all think I`ve been sitting on my arse doing nothing, I have however built a nice little display cart. All of this has been done with out spending any money, with the exception of the new wheels that cost eight dollars each.

The wearing surfaces at the front are made from an old chopping board, my Wife got a new one and I re-purposed the old one.The front pivot is and old wrist pin from my Lister ST2. I think this is going to turn out rather well, once it`s had another couple of coats of boiled linseed oil.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
A couple more pics to show where I am trying to go with this

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2019, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the kind comments.  I have been busy making an adapter plate, three studs below and four above to  allow me to mount the ETB onto the Marino pump chassis. See photos.

I have now mounted the engine and fitted the fan shroud, along with the wind driven governor assembly. See photos.

I will be fitting the flywheel in the morning, once the paint has dried.

God it gives me the sh1ts when I go to the steel stockist and ask him for a piece of 25mm  bright steel round bar, when I get home I find that the muppet has given me one inch bright mild steel round bar that won`t fit in the metric bearings I purchased.
I have two choices, turn it down to 25mm or do a 100km round trip to get a replacement!  >:(

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
Just a couple more photos to keep you happy.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2019, 02:13:22 PM »
Thanks mate, the day of reckoning for my left hand is this Friday, hoping things will work out OK. I have a mate who I hope will be continuing the work once I am incapacitated. I will be supervising him!  :laugh:

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
Well guys the last day to be useful is tomorrow. So I had a good day today, turned up the new pump shaft and bushes. I don`t have access to a milling machine so I can`t cut the slots for woodruff keys, I do have a decent drill press so I chose to drill and fit shear pins as an alternative. I doubt this will cause any problems as this is only going to be a display piece and will never be put to any real work. I think I might use it to filter and dry waste vegetable oil when it is not on display, or even as part of the display.  I have always liked the idea of a diesel engine that makes it`s own fuel, might be an interesting thing to demonstrate at an old engine rally.

Tomorrow I will have to have a bit of a clean up and touch up the paintwork. I`ll also put a couple of coats of clear varnish on any naked steel to prevent it rusting while I`m incapacitated. Anyway a couple of photos to keep you amused.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2019, 09:43:23 AM »
Hi Guys, while I have been crook, I have had the opportunity to polish a lot of brass and bronze, one handed. Soul destroyingly slow and boring but marginally better than daytime TV. I also managed to bush the small end of the connecting rod and file enough material off the mating surfaces of the big end to bring the clearance down to 3 thou.

The original brass nut on the Marino reciprocating piston pump was beyond repair and all my efforts to source a replacement were unsuccessful. I went to visit one of my neighbors, Ken Inglis, who has the ability to cast aluminium from waste. He provided me with a suitably sized aluminium billet which I was able to turn into the nut shown in the photos below.

I also managed to turn up a new stainless steel piston and wrist pin. I cannot begin to explain how tedious it is trying to work a lathe with only one good hand but I am very happy with the results. Tomorrow I have to got into town to get some gland packing, with a bit of luck I should soon be able to post some pics of the assembled pump.

I still have to find the time and materials to make up new inlet and outlet valves and seals for this old pump but I am hoping that I will have it all done for the local rusty metal rally in August.

Bob