Puppeteer

Author Topic: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine  (Read 2514 times)

mikenash

• View Profile
Re: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 10:44:53 PM »
Looks good Bob.  Re those "unsealed" bearings.  Do you reckon they'll be OK metal-to-metal if you have flushed them out until some of the splash feed dribbles down to them?  Just a thought.  Will be interested to see it running.  Thanks for the photos & updates.  Cheers, Mike

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 11:05:01 AM »

You are an inspiration Bob!
Your detail to attention is great as is your mechanical knowledge.  I think you sell your skills a bit short, I bet if put to use this  engine once you have finished it would outlast a modern disposable type with no trouble at all.

I have used lots of parts with pitting and found as long as they were linished, they pits are below the surface not above it so don't matter if they are light and occasional.

I used to rebuild a lot of hot 2 strokes.  I used to purposefully pack the bearings with grease for break in when I rebuilt them.  Yeah they could be a bit smokey for a while, never gave a damn about that and I never had any trouble from it. Grease just dissolved and went through and after  a bunch of hours was all gone and the bearings were clean as normal.

If I tore the engines down for a look see I would re pack the bearings with grease again as I often changed the rings and thought the grease may help.
It sure never hurt as my bores had the cross hatch way beyond what would normally be expected.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »
Hi Mike, all good, everything is being lubricated with a heavy duty diesel lubricant as I go. This engine also has an oil pressure bypass valve with a spring load indicator rod which rises out of the crankcase indicating that there is adequate oil pressure before dropping the decompression lever, the idea being to ensure everything is lubricated before any internal fire begins. A very simple and ingenious alternative to an oil pressure gauge.

I got in serious trouble with she who must be obeyed today, she went out for what was supposed to be three hours, I decided that this would be a perfect opportunity to boil the old timing chain in detergent sump oil to remove rust and etc. I lit the barbecue and filled an old stainless steel cooking pot with sump oil, once it got to temperature I dumped the old chain in it and started stirring, at this point my Wife returned and was very unimpressed that the whole house stank like a car mechanic`s workshop! Wife is still pissed but the chain looks good.

I decided I would tackle the job of cleaning the aluminium flywheel shroud today, what a bastard of a job! The fly wheel oil seal must have been leaking for the last sixty years, the inside of the shroud was covered in a mixture of oil and dust which had decayed into something resembling tarmac! I hit it with everything I could think of: degreaser, petrol, diesel, pressure washer, caustic soda, sand blaster all to no avail. In the end I spent seven hours doing it with a hammer and chisel. I was planning to paint the inside of the shroud with an etch primmer but I think it will have to stay as it is, I just don`t have the strength to clean it any better than it now is. I did manage to clean the outside to a respectable condition and give it a couple of coats of etch primmer. 

Anyway I`m knackered and going to bed, I`ll try to fit the timing chains tomorrow,

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
Hey Glort, thank you for your encouragement. I suspect that this engine is probably good for another couple of thousand hours but only time will tell. I don`t believe that the reason for this effort is to produce a useful working engine but instead to salvage a bit of our industrial heritage for the next generations to admire, enjoy and hopefully appreciate.

I am hoping to have this done before my surgery at the end of this month, sadly I won`t have the new injector pump and injector by then so first smoke could be a while.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2019, 12:56:56 AM »

The oil pressure " signal" is a stroke of rare Brilliance.
I have noticed this thing a lot of people have that an engine should start the second  you apply pressure to the key. I never understood it.
If I put the choke on my mower and turn the key it will light on the first compression.  I don't think that's good.  I leave the choke off and wind it over about 5 sec then push the choke on so it fires with some priming of the oil pressure at least.  many industrial engines have lockouts so they wont fire till there is minimal oil pressure and certainly in the old days if not so much now you  wind wind a race motor up till it got some pressure then fire it.

Maybe they recognized these engines could sit for long times and din't what the things lighting off bone dry especially if they may be direct connected to load anyway.

I don`t believe that the reason for this effort is to produce a useful working engine but instead to salvage a bit of our industrial heritage for the next generations to admire, enjoy and hopefully appreciate.

The reason matters not Bob.
The huge credit to you is you are doing at all and under difficult circumstances. The preservation mind set is just a greater credit to you.  Maybe you should just put it in your will in case it slips your mind in the next 40 years time when it will be needed, that the engine goes to a Museum or engine club or something?

Like many of us, you are working with a severe handicap which makes these tasks all the more difficult and taxing.  These things while we still may enjoy them are diminished in satisfaction through these things that we are burdened with but have no way around.
If only we could turn the wives " off" when we wanted to work and play ( and buy) our engines and load them with a filter that precluded them ever from complaing about the things we enjoy,  so many difficulties of this work would be lifted and the job would be so much easier and more enjoyable!
Lets face it, who hasn't dreamed of just having a bed, TV, Kitchen and shower in teh corner of a nice big workshop so we can get breath in that heavenly scent Of 30 weight and bearing grease 24 hrs a day?   You managed to fill your home with that sweet perfume and the accomplishment was not appreciated.  I'm sure she is a wonderful woman but they just don't really understand what makes us happy do they?

How is it no such thing has been invented to turn the wives off or educate them in " Complaint Management" to avoid such negativity?
I know some really smart people who could have come up with something like that and they are married too so it must have occurred to them!!

All we need them to do is admire and congratulate us when the task is finished, happily wash the piles of stinking clothes and ignore any Mes... by products of the construction process until they are resolved as well.

I am always saying to my Mrs, If I say I will do something I will and you can rely on my word. There is no need to keep harping and harping about it over and over every 6 months!

While I have to admit she is pretty good, I got grief off my Mrs for the last round of purchases the other week.
We had a heart to heart discussion and I told her I need something to do to enjoy myself, something to be able to put some effort into so I can sit back and look at what I achieved and I was worried about power supplys in the coming years and building these enerators would give me peace of mind wether they ever got used or not.
 I said I have little interest in anything these days, I spend next to nothing on them in the big picture and she is always saying go out and get a hobby or do something and this for now is what I want to do. I have had this inkling I want to get a little model plane of late as well but that's another separate Psychological disorder .

She seemed to understand but me being the mongeral I am, had to put it to the test so about a week later I asked her what she was doing on the weekend and if she wanted to go for a drive.  Told her I wanted to pick up an engine I bought.  She said is this one you bought the other week, I said no, this is a different one.  Only retort was I better get my arse up that shed and clean out space for all these damn things because she does NOT want them sitting round the yard. Once the shed is full, that is IT!  Wow! A shed full. I think that made me aroused!
I guess she understood after all.

I might sit down now and see if there are any other toys going I want.  I'll ask her to transfer the money on Monday..... after her surprise birthday party Tomorrow!!  :0) I learned that bit of Diplomacy a while back too.  Always remember their birthday, never how old they are.... unless you are short by at least 5 years!

Of course it is a bit hard to complain about me buying engines when she is planning a new Kitchen that despite my best effort to put the brakes on, is clearly going to be a $50K  money pit time it's all said and done.  I thought when I said OK it would be $20K. Next time I'll do my homework a lot better before I say a damn thing!   :embarassed:

For that money I'll also be installing a shackle point set into the concrete through the tiles so I can chain her in there and get my moneys worth!!   >:(

I am hoping to have this done before my surgery at the end of this month, sadly I won`t have the new injector pump and injector by then so first smoke could be a while.

Bob

Look on the bright side Bob, it will give you Something to look forward to when you have recovered.
Bit of light work installing it and all will be done.  Don't forget that first Fire Video!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2019, 11:28:18 AM »
Hi Glort, I to love the simplicity of an oil pressure indicator, the one in the photo is f*cked and I will have to make a replacement. The idea is so simple, there is an oil pump which delivers oil to one of the main bearings, this oil then flows through the crankshaft to the big end bearing and then on to the other main bearing. Once the pressure rises to an adequate level it overcomes the spring on the plunger mechanism allowing oil to bypass the main crankshaft journal and spill out onto the timing chain. The oil then flows back down into the bottom of the timing chain cover where it lubricates the oil pump chain which is immersed in it. Engineering perfection, everything lubricated with a minimum of moving parts!  :)

I love the idea that you crank this engine until the pressure indicator rises before releasing the decompression lever, such a simple way of guaranteeing longevity.

I think your experience of women is similar to mine, love them to bits but couldn`t eat a whole one in one sitting!  :laugh:
In fairness I wouldn`t be here without the nursing care my wife gave me and I can`t imagine a life without her.

I am glad you raised the issue of birthdays, it is my wife`s birthday tomorrow (10 March), I`m hoping we can go for lunch somewhere but she has a medical appointment on Monday and the doctors have prescribed beta blockers before those tests can be done. She took the first pill this morning and has been wasted ever since, she took another pill about an hour ago and I will probably have to carry her to bed. On the upside she probably won`t remember it`s her birthday and certainly won`t remember if we celebrated it or not. The best present would be for the doctors to find out what is causing her blood pressure issues and find a reliable treatment.

I had a play with model aircraft years ago, I loved building them and setting up the radio control systems, trouble was I was useless at flying them (sad for an ex-air force man). I built lovely models and then destroyed them during their first flight, I`ll stick to diesel engines on the ground for now, unless we need to drop some on Dresden again!  :laugh:

With respect to what to do with my engines, when I am gone, I have given my wife very strict instructions that they are be gifted to a very worthy cause: The Glort museum of Internal Fire, they are to be delivered by road unless you upset her at which point she has my permission to deliver them from 40,000 feet!

Please wish you lovely wife a Happy Birthday from Bob and Narelle.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2019, 11:32:30 AM »
Sorry Guys, I forgot to upload the photos, so here they are.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2019, 02:06:20 PM »

Your engine looks great already Bob.  It's going to come out brilliant.

Ironic about what I said earlier about race engines not being primed any more. I was wrong. I was just watching some vids and noticed the cars always took a while to fire. I thought that was odd but being race engines. Then I saw one and they said that the engine management system was programed not to fire the engine till it had 40PSI of oil pressure.   Didn't even realize but apparently having oil pressure is still a concern, it's just programmed in, not something the driver has to watch a gauge for then kick the spark in.

There are so many of these tricks they did on old engines years ago, one wonders why they don't still have these features and then you realise, they don't want things to last too long these days or be rebuild-able.

If you do rally this engine, -I- thing it's always much nocer to see them doing something.  Pumping water round in circles, Lighithing up a few bulbs, whatever but always seems better to me they are doing SOMETHING  no matter how irrelevant rather than just sitting there idling  which seems a total waste.  Not that pumping water in circles is productive but it looks better in my mind.
If you wanted to do that I'm sure I have an old brass pump or 2 up the back I could donate. Would need a new impeller for sure but they shouldn't be hard to get. Either that or a  car alt I could give you.  Don't have much in the way of lights unless you'd like to put a couple of Subaru liberty lights on the transport ( could bring the grille, gaurds and a bumper if you wanted as well)  but there are a stack of Tail light bulbs no one ever seems to want any more and H4 headlight globes.   Half dozen of those bare around the engine would stand out even in daylight!

I hope Your wife is OK, how co incidental their birthdays are a day apart!
I was only talking to someone about Beta blockers yesterday when they were suggested to me.  I can't tell whether I am better or worse with this stuff, any of it.

I hope Narelle is better tomorrow and you do have a nice day and things go well Monday. Sometimes these things just knock you a bit at first and then you get used to them.
I have to go play nurse for my Dad in a couple of weeks. He is having his cataracts done and I know what a great patient he's going to make!

Not sure if the Chief here has cottoned on to anything yet.  I did some tidying up today which is always suspect but I think I put on a good act with doing it to keep her happy and off my back and asking if she wanted a birthday party next weekend.  She said it will be too late then. I said Why? we can't have it before, that's silly,  you always have it after if you can't have it on the day but we'll go out to dinner  that night.

Wants to go look at tiles for the kitchen floor tomorrow but I feigned being annoyed saying I had something on.  She of course wasn't happy I wasn't going to go but I got stroppy and said right, you want to drag me there so you can ask what I think then reject every suggestion I make as usual, Out the door at 9am and back by no later than 12:30. No stopping for breakfast or a coffee, No just going to look at this or that while we are there, Out, look, back or go on your own.  Daughter wants her out the way so she can prepare.

She asked what I was doing and I said going to the engine show which she fell for. Put a couple of cameras on the Kitchen table earlier tonight which she asked what they were there for and I said take to the engine show of course! Geez I can sell porkies!

Silly woman, she should know after all these years the engine shows are May, September and October.  None round here in March!!

I gave her the giveaway and she missed it.   :laugh:

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
One of these days she is going to read your forum postings...........then you are going to be in the brown stuff.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2019, 07:04:06 AM »
One of these days she is going to read your forum postings...........then you are going to be in the brown stuff.

And this would be Different How??   :laugh:

Definately in the good books today.  Took her out this morning looking at floor tiles and was patient ( even though I was having a melt down on the inside) and had time to spare so we got coffee and had a wander round another place looking for some household things.
Daughter rang as the signal and said when will you be home for lunch and I said  I'm coming now, don't  want to get to the engine show too late.  :laugh:

Came home, everyone was here but hidden and jumped out and gave her a big surprise.
Real nice afternoon that she didn't see coming . My daughter did an excellent job catering and really did do some delicious food.
I'm probably good till Tuesday now.

I said to mrs I gave her the clue with the engine show and she said she was a little suspect not because of the timing but because I wasn't out the door at sparrows  to be there like normal.

I hope Bob's wife was able to enjoy a nice lunch with him and all goes well with the tests tomorrow.   

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »
Hi Guys, sorry for not having posted much recently, between my health issues and those of my Wife rather a lot of time has been consumed by doctors, pathologists and etc.

I have, however managed to finish the crank case assembly and also the flywheel. Took me three days to get the crud off the flywheel, a leaking crank case seal had covered it in oil that then mixed with the Australian dust to form a quarter inch thick layer of tarmac! I have also managed to clean and reassemble the rocker assembly. Photos attached.

We now get to the difficult part which is finding spare parts for an engine made in the 1950`s. There are a lot of bits that cannot be reconditioned so replacements must be found. I have had contact with a couple of Southern Cross experts and sent them a spread sheet detailing the bits I am missing. I am not expecting to find everything I need and so will have to resort to manufacturing or machining them myself, I will let you know how the process goes.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 08:33:33 PM »
Looking good!

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
Hi Guys, sorry for not having posted much recently, between my health issues and those of my Wife rather a lot of time has been consumed by doctors, pathologists and etc.

You were noticeable by your absence Bob.  I was thinking of you and your wife hoping things were going well. Maybe not as well as any of us hoped?

Looks like you have made good progress anyway. Hopefully this has been a good distraction and a motivation.
Maybe you might have to find yourself a nice little lathe and a mill to help the projects along?

Was at a mates place the other day in his vast shed.  Bought himself quite a large lathe with a lot of features on the thing which seems in very good nick.
Only problem is, he has no idea how to work one. I suggested YT might help him out.  He bought it for one very specific purpose so I guess he won't need to know a lot for his needs.

I could use it any time I wanted but not the same as having one in your own shed.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 11:11:06 AM »
Hi Glort, sorry to let the side down. You will be pleased to hear that my Wife is having her last tests tomorrow. I am hoping that this will result in a definitive diagnosis and a permanent treatment regime that works. My own surgery has been knocked back by two weeks so I have a little more time to spend on engines before I become temporarily disabled again.

There has been some movement in the legal battle I have been having with the insurance company. I am hoping that I may finally get some compensation for my injuries and loss of income. Once that has been dealt with I am going to have to sell my home and move closer to the medical care that we both require, and away from this beautiful rural property that I can no longer maintain.

I have no idea of where to start looking for a new home, I couldn`t live in a city again so I have to find somewhere rural but close to a city. My Wife has ambitions to live in Tasmania but I am unsure about how we would cope with the cold winters having lived in the heat of northern New South Wales.

Where ever it is, I shall being setting up a full machine shop with the intention of doing as much old engine renovation as I can, before my time runs out. I am not thinking of this as a business just a hobby which might bring in a small income.

If your mate with the lathe doesn`t know how to use it please advise him to go to TAFE or even the local Men`s shed for tuition. Operating any machine tool without the necessary skills is a recipe for disaster, I have personally witnessed the results of these sorts of industrial accidents and they aren`t pretty.

One tool that I definitely want is a boring machine, something that could easily be used to re-bore and sleeve old cylinders. I will probably have to settle for an older universal milling machine, with more modern tooling. I would love to own a Bridgeport milling machine, due to their versatility, but I doubt they would make a good boring tool for larger cylinders.

A Colchester 1600 or 2000 lathe is also on my wish list along with a smaller tool makers lathe.

Anyways it`s all just a pipe dream at present.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 02:04:52 PM »

Geez Bob, very sorry to hear about you having to sell up. Very unfair.

You should come down here to where I am.  Cows and horses every where, plenty of wide open spaces and acre blocks just big enough to have plenty of toys without too much bush to over whelm you.  All the benefits of the city center being an hour away but the endless advantages of living in the country.
You might want to do it sooner rather than later. I went to visit a guy with a treelopping business today. Owns 30 acres about 3Km out of town.
Was telling me how the developers had been coming round regularly and were offering $1M per acre for his land.
 $30M bucks would be quite handy for a fit and able 41 yo guy!

He just bought a lister as well!

I could come and annoy the shi...... eeerrr, visit    you every day and run you round to your medical appointments and kick their arses if they got slack. Experience with that going back to my teens with my grandmother when I looked after her. They hated me but Gran always got their best efforts and attention. I made sure of it by questioning everything I wasn't happy with or felt she was getting duck shoved on.  Did the same for my father in law looking after him when he was crook. 
I tell you Bob, Nurse Glort comes walking in with you in the white Frock and steel capped boots with my Goatee and typical 5 day growth and you WILL get looked after real well!

I'd be great therapy for you both!.  After a week, 2 at best, with me hanging round, you'd both be gathering up all your belongings and running clear across the water with them on your back to get to Tassie and away from me far as you could get!
You'd never feel crook again after that!!

;D