Puppeteer

Author Topic: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine  (Read 3331 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Southern Cross ETB diesel engine
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2019, 01:23:06 AM »
Hi mike, went to my local pump shop last week looking for gland packing. Asked the guy about springs and seals to fit old piston pumps, sadly the owner cleared out all his old stock recently. He only deals in centrifugal pumps now.

Bought myself some 40mm nylon round bar that I am going to Sikaflex to the face of the valves, I will then face them off in the lathe to give me a decent seal.

Bob

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2019, 01:50:29 AM »
Interesting

Somewhere there will be a stash of that old shit - and the know-how.  In a small town I bet

Wouldn't surprise me if the seating "valves" want something softer than UMWHE type stuff?  But I don't really know why I think that.  My memory is of rubber valves around 40mm diameter with a full-width washer behind them - kinda like a penny washer - so ghey may have been designed to be both soft and rigid?

You'll figure it out

Cheers

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2019, 10:36:44 AM »
Hi Mike, I have one of the original washers, it`s past it`s useful life but appears to be a composite with two nylon faces with a softer fabric or rubber layer in between, presumably these were reversible. The original is around 3mm thick, my plan was to use 2mm of Sikaflex and 1mm of MDPE, hopefully the rubberized adhesive will provide enough of a cushion to stop any hammering. I guess I will just have to try it and see what happens.

Bob