Puppeteer

Author Topic: Another IMAG attempt.  (Read 1990 times)

guest22972

Another IMAG attempt.
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:25:20 AM »

Went and picked up another induction motor this afternoon.

When I saw them the other week I was certain I saw they were 30 Kw. Unfortunately I must have been getting overcome with wishful thinking.  Reality today says they were only 12's so I just brought one home. Can't even see a figure of 30 on them now so not sure where I got that from.

Funny thing is, I have been looking for something this size for a while and was thinking a 30 was too big then decided they only do what you drive them to after all .  Now I feel a wee bit dissapointed they aren't 30 kilo monsters but anyway.

Speaking or monsters, the one I got weighs in at a substantial 170 Kg. A 30 Kw Might weigh half a ton.  Might be enough to keep the roid from walking round the the yard!  But I doubt it.

This Motor has a 100 mm Pulley. The rated speed is 1455 RPM which means I'll have to drive it at or above 1600 RPM.
The pulley on my 5.5 Horizontal Diesel is 65mm. The engine is rated to 3000 Rpm which seems a bit quick for one of these and also I couldn't get my last IMAG to come on song because it wasn't turning fast enough so I'm a bit dubious about that speed. Generally these engines are about 24 or 2600Rpm.

To get 1650 RPM on the motor the engine should only need to do a bit over 2500 RPM so I SHOULD be ok and have a bit of margin in any event. That's the first Hurdle out the way.

2nd hurdle is that I have forgotten more about this now than I remember, again and the 3rd thing is this is a 6 pole motor where as the others I have played with have been 3 Poles. I was thinking I just time them together in a delta Config and treat them as a 3 pole from there.

Over the next few days hopefully weather, work and motivation permitting, I might be able to screw it all down on a suitable heavy duty base and fire it all up.

I'd like to try a stand alone generator and also a grid tied. That might be very useful over the winter solar fall off time.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: Another IMAG attempt.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »
You may have seen a 3 phase symbol:

which might look like 30

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:05 AM »
It could be an energy saver motor, with 2 sets of windings, for idle and full load ??

oldgoat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
Could also be a 2 speed motor. speed is changed by pole switching if I remember correctly look up dahlander connection.

saba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
Hey Glort it's a dahlander motor, I use it for my chp start the lister with the low rev setting when the lister is reaching it's 600 revs I kick in the high revs to feed back. It's from the days when the frequency drives were still expensive. Now they still use it to drive big fans for example.

gr Bernhard