Author Topic: Lister ST2 - Wiring Help  (Read 349 times)

lister-IRL

• View Profile
Lister ST2 - Wiring Help
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
Hi Guys

I'm a newbie to the forum.  I purchased a Lister ST2 air cooled with 7kVA generator, 7 years ago, a good price at 700Euro.  My plan was always to integrate it into an off grid electrical system, to that end we have installed a 4kW solar array and a 1kW windturbine is being added in the Spring.  We have a 800Ah battery bank and at present, with just the solar array, it runs the house for 9/12 months of the year, hoping with the addition of the wind turbine this allow us to run the house off grid for 12/12 with the exception of approximately 2 weeks in the year when there is practically no sun or wind, this is where the Lister will come into its own.

The plan for the Lister is to take the output from the generator and feed it into a 5kW inverter, which will charge the battery bank at up to 120Amps and the remaining power will power the house, when the generator is running.  A battery monitor will be programmed to trigger an ATS signal when the batteries drop to 70% and start the engine.

I have sourced this generator box to replace the orignal startup control box, which was not available when I purchased the Lister. 

This was the recommended module for your Lister is here: https://www.gencontrol.co.uk/files/105_myv2558d.pdf
It will come with 2 bypass power relays 12V 40A to operate the starter motor and fuel solenoid valve. The module will use the existing starter motor and fuel solenoid. I understand these must be present on your generator and in working order (starter motor & fuel solenoid). The module has an auto start input which could also be used for ATS connection from the battery monitor e.g. trigger startup at 70% battery level.

I'm sorry for the level of information, but I'm hoping the information may help others wanting to achieve something similar.

I have attached pictures of the current electrics on the generator and hoping someone will know how I can wire the system, to achieve this.  I also about to purchase 2 x 12v (24v in total) to start the engine.  Any direction is so much appreciated and I welcome any questions others may have about going off the grid.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:36:13 PM by lister-IRL »

lister-IRL

• View Profile
Re: Lister ST2 - Wiring Help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »
Additional pictures

lister-IRL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »
Additional Pictures

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »
Hi Lister-IRL, and welcome to the forum. The first thing you need to know is that the Brush generator head you have is a combined 240 volt alternator, a 24 volt DC starter motor and a 28 volt DC dynamo. There are only five wires that come out of the generator head they are 240 volt ac active and neutral, battery neutral, battery charging +ve and the starter wire.

The item on the end of the engine that you labelled as a starter motor is the fuel control solenoid the item next to it is the decompressor solenoid.

Do you have the wall mounted control box that would have originally come with your unit?

I have attached a wiring diagram, it`s a bit faded as it is a copy of a copy of a copy, you get the idea. Please have a look at the ST2 thread started by Alexdick, we have been trying to fix his generator wiring since Christmas, there are a lot of drawings and pictures.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 11:09:58 PM »
Further to my last post the thread started by Alexdick is in: How to/Diy  Generators SDA/SDT

Bob

lister-IRL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 11:57:00 PM »
Hi Bob

Thanks for your reply, the useful information and direction to the other post, it would appear control box in the post in wired differently to mine and has been modified to more modern components.  I must admit I'm out of my league when it comes to engines and there electric startups, however I am willing and determined to have it automated, so I will persevere.  No unfortunately I don't have the wall mounted control box, I have sourced an electronic replacement, which I have been told will take it's place.  It's just a matter of understanding how to wire the system to start with the existing electrical control on top of the generator section and then wiring them to the new electronic control system in the PDF.  Thanks for the diagram.

I do hope you make progress on your system and get it up and running.

Colm
Lister-IRL

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:16:01 AM »
Hi Colm, yes Alexdick`s machine is slightly different to yours as his is a push button start and yours would have been an automatic start. I have looked at the Gencontrol unit you are considering and it should do the job. What it won`t do is activate the decompressor solenoid, you can overcome this by wiring it directly to the 240 volt AC output through a fuse. There may be an incompatibility  issue with the oil pressure sensor, I can not remember if it makes or breaks the circuit on oil pressure failure. I will try to check the resistance with the generator turned off.

You are also going to have to do something about your battery charging circuit which appears to be incomplete.

keep us informed and post any questions as you go.

Bob

lister-IRL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 03:58:12 PM »
Hi Bob et al

Sorry have not visited the Lister since as I had been struck down with pneumonia, but thankfully much better now.  I'm struggling to be honest on how to integrate a new ATS start up with the existing start-o-matic function.  From what I have learned so far, the Lister ST2 requires a 24v battery to start, the starter motor is integrated into the generator.  Inside the electrical box on top of the generator head, everything seems intact.  I have various schematics but I might as well tell you it's double dutch to me.  Has anyone on the forum attempted to do what I am doing and can you please provide photographs etc of how you wired your ST2 for the task?

Thanks guys

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »
Hi Colm and welcome back. I am sorry to read that you have been unwell with pneumonia, I have visited the Emerald Isle a few times and it was always raining, I suspect that pneumonia is very common. I am very glad that you have made a full recovery.

I am going for surgery on 12 April and will be unable to do the things I want to do for a month or so. I am happy to take on the intellectual challenge of trying to work out how to hook up your Lister ST2, it will give me something to do while I am unable to do anything else.

I will study the photos you posted, along with the ATS info you posted and get back to you.

Bob

lister-IRL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »
Thank you Bob for all your help and kind offer, hope you are ok and nothing too serious.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 11:03:03 AM »
Hi Colm, nothing too serious, just trapped nerves in my hands after a motor vehicle accident. Surgery will put me out of action for a month or so. I will have plenty of time to consider your generator problem.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• Just another day hoping hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »
Hi Bob

Remember that your surgery only will disable your hand, not your outstanding mind. People here rely on you and your wisdom.

Now i'm lookink forward a old and seised marine penta volvo MD6A. Lets see what it tell's to me, scrap or run... But it's shape is bad. it don't turn 360, and one delivery injection niple is broken.

Best wishis and some luck to your health.

Cheers
VP
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 09:00:21 PM by sirpedrosa »
Bernard 18A - 1968

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »
Hi VP, thanks for the nice comments. Let me make it clear that there is no wisdom here, I`m just passing on the experience that comes from repeating the same mistakes for a very long time, in the hope that someone can avoid those mistakes.

Bob

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
Hi VP, thanks for the nice comments. Let me make it clear that there is no wisdom here, I`m just passing on the experience that comes from repeating the same mistakes for a very long time, in the hope that someone can avoid those mistakes.

Bob

Just in saying that, it is obvious that you are a very wise man.  To be so humble as well, takes it to another level.  I read all your posts and am learning every day.  keep it up, and hope all goes well with the op.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »
Hi dax021, thank you for your kind words but let me reiterate that I am not a wise man. If you doubt this I will happily give you the contact details for my Wife. She will, I`m sure, explain what a useless individual I really am.  :laugh:

Bob