Author Topic: Madness  (Read 5321 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Madness
« on: January 30, 2019, 02:14:18 AM »
I`ve got to get me one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBpddpK2k

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Madness
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
Sounds like a fine project. Keep the gearing right, you don`t want a machine like the one in the video, I wonder what the speed rating is on a lawn mower tyre. I`m guessing they would probably start to de-laminate at around 25 MPH and I`m sure this guy was going far faster than that. Perhaps they sell speed rated mower tyres in the US. Wonder if the guy had upgraded the brakes, how long do you think the gearbox would last under that much torque.

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
I'm sane!  I'm sane!  I'm sane!  I'm sane!

I now have proof.

I wonder if can stop in the quarter mile?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 08:11:00 AM »
Good grief!

It looks, and sounds, amazing.... but you have to be several shades of daft to go out on it without a full crash hat and leather motorcycle gear! And I'm not sure I'd want to ride it even then...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 08:34:05 AM »
Hi Ade, I think a person would need to be plumb crazy to even think of fitting an engine that size in a lawn mower. Do you think someone that insane cares about health and safety equipment? Eventually the laws governing survival of the fittest will catch up with him, I just don`t want to have to watch it!

Bob

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »
Some insane RPM's for the axle bearings - when they let loose, it might slow it some, or just perform cartwheels.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 10:45:37 PM »
Nothing about that yard tractor was designed for high speed use...tires, suspension, breaking, drivetrain, bearings, front end handling, etc.  It's a fun test to see which lets go first, watching from safe distance and being unrelated to the future asphalt hamburger.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 11:45:21 PM »
That guy is a brilliant designer. His trailer is very well done, loaded with good features.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
Brilliant mower!

If you've got about half a day to spare (literally!), the Project Binky set is well worth a watch - fabrication taken to the "n"th degree - and beyond!

That playlist doesn't have the very latest episode in it yet, I'm sure that'll be corrected soon. There's also a couple of "Howie did it" add-on videos showing some of the amazing work they do with a knackered little Myford lathe, and a tiny Taig CNC milling machine.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »
Binky- I've lost a couple hours already.  Great project, amazing fabrication skills.
Thanks Ade.

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 12:03:40 AM »
I used a Cox ride on mower as a base to mount a 1 1/2 HP Buzacott hit n miss engine onto and then ran a flat belt and a cross shaft to run the belt drive to the rear wheels but no where near being fast, more like a slow chug.
In 2017 we went to the Clarendon Classic rally out at Richmond NSW and there was a fine example of a grey fergy with a 302 mounted in it. The engineering that went into it was amazing as was the end result.
The last one is a Ford 9n tractor that actually had a kit made up by the yanks to uprate it by usinf one of the old Ford sidevalve engines. A club member has one and it sounds great and he sprayed it a bone colour that is none stock for tractors and has a pair of the old V8 badges on the side panels. He had to fit grass tyres so it doesn't grip too much, just spin the wheels. The owner is now in his 80's and still lights them up!
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

old seagull man

• View Profile

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 07:54:12 AM »
Hi OSM, that`s crazy enough for me. Glad they changed the tires to something speed rated.

Talking of Guinness records I believe they are going to try for one at the rusty iron rally in Macksville. My understanding is that they are going for the most vintage engines all running at the same time. The engines need to run for 20 minutes to take the record. I am hoping my ETB will be done in time. It would be nice to be famous for participating in something so utterly pointless!  :laugh:

Bob

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 05:08:02 PM »
I watched the video again today.  He can tune my V8 any time he wants.  Is that a sweet sounding engine or what?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 05:11:37 AM »
We rotate the Rallies we attend and this year we should be back again. If it was possible to book a powered site for our van I would then bring our Lorry with a tractor on the back and stay onsite and go to the rally dinner as well. But last time we went it seemed it was not possible to book a site at the rally. I need power for my sleep aphnea machine. So if we do come we will bring mowers again for both days. The Clarendon classic is bigger than the Macksville Rally and more varied with a bigger show of steam alone and many more trucks and we enjoyed a lot.
We are members of the Macksville Club and we are entering into the engine record. We are also 2 of the stationary engine scrutineers so we will be busy doing that on Saturday morning and we expect quite a lot of engines to be there.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.