Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Exhaust joints

(1/3) > >>

Jordan:
The exhaust system is made up of sections of pipe and a muffler.
They are slip fit to each other, with ends expanded where necessary so one pipe end fits into the other.
I find that there is unacceptable leakage at all joints when the engine is running.
I'd love to have a totally sealed system, without having to weld the various pipes/muffler to each other.
Could there be some solution?

BruceM:
I had the same issue.  I used the highest temperature silicone I could find at the time- the copper doped high temp stuff, Permatex I think.  Took it apart and gooped the joints. That did the job.

ajaffa1:
Hi Jordan, I have tried a few different methods depending on the size of the gap. Larger gaps I fill with fire cement, smaller gaps with high temp silicon. I have also had some success with exhaust repair bandages available from your local auto center. When using fire cement, please wear rubber gloves as it is very nasty stuff and will dissolve the skin on your hands. You need to let it dry out before firing it by running your engine.

Bob

Jordan:
Speaking of silicone, I wonder if the hoses that are made of this stuff and sold as "go fast" accessories for aftermarket turbocharged cars possibly suitable?
They'd need to cope with the change in size of a few millimeters as the jointed pipes' diameters vary.
I sent an enquiry to a supplier about this.

ajaffa1:
Hi Jordan, I`ll be very interested to hear what they come back with.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version