Author Topic: Rust protection  (Read 265 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Rust protection
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 12:19:36 AM »
No problem with even Buna-N rubber o-rings for a cylinder liner.  If it gets much over 100C, obviously, the engine has run dry of coolant and all sorts of destruction will ensue. No worries about leaking coolant in that case, it's all gone.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 04:49:55 AM »
On the wet cylinder liners, what temps are the O rings good for ?    Wouldn't want a ring to start letting the crankcase flood

Do like they do on race cars/ Tractor pullers that are running big boost, replace the rubber seals with lead/ copper rings and torque them down harder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 08:21:05 AM »
What about our old friend PTFE which is good for 330 C?

Bob

Jordan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »
Viton O-rings are good for high temps.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »

Reasonable for Veg oil too but not impervious.

Back in the veg craze days the pedantic were always trying to find fuel line that wouldn't sweat or go hard with Veg and Biodiesel .
I remember people paying $30+ meter for stuff that was supposedly the holy grail of fuel line. There waqs quite a lot of people clamoring for it when it got known.
Being a cheap arse, I always took the line of the regular braided water hose stuff lasted almost 18 months before it got iffy and at about $3m, all I had to do was change it every 12 Months and I wouldn't have a problem.
Keep a good bit in the vehicle in case of failure and all good.

Unfortunately for those looking for the everlasting soloution, the exy stuff started coming about badly at about the 12 month mark and a lot of people were very unhappy but made the excuse the brand they got must have been no good so got something else with the same results.

Meanwhile, I'm changing fuel line just as often as they are only it's costing me less than 1/10th the price and not failing between changes like theirs was.

There were also Viton seals in pumps used for veg oil processing and in injector pumps which seemed to fare a lot better. 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »
Personaly I wouldnt reinvent the wheel and just go purchase some Macs 1300 at NAPA, thats what it is made to do.  Also machine tool coolants are water soluble oil and works perfectly as ant rust agent in a cooling system.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel