Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Rust protection

(1/4) > >>

Jordan:
I fired up my Lister at last, connected to a 200 litre drum of water in thermo-syphon configuration.
I'd like to add some anti-rust product to the cooling water.
Are there any suggestions for a good way to go about it?
It's a lot of coolant, so cost is a consideration.

mike90045:
I use coolant, about a 25 gallon system, 50%

I don't think cutting oil mixes get circulated enough to stay mixed

Hugh Conway:
Previously I used a tall 30 gal (about 115 liter) tank for thermosyphon with 50/50 water  automotive antifreeze mix.
My normal run time was 2 to 3 hours and the tank never got all that hot. for shorter runs, a smaller tank could be used. I think those original large Lister cooling tanks were intended for long periods of operation where temp would eventually build up.
I am now using an old cast iron radiator from a house heating system along with a 1 gallon expansion tank. Total coolant volume is about 5 gallons. Still a thermosyphon system with the 50/50 mix. Works fine.
A problem with a large tank with anti-freeze is the initial cost of the anti-freeze, then eventual disposal. A much smaller tank ( for short run times) or radiator set-up reduces both of those problems.
A good cast iron rad can be difficult to find (went through a couple of cracked ones) but do look period appropriate.
Cheers
Hugh

Jordan:
Thank you for the suggestions.
The house heating radiator is interesting, but I already have the 44 gallon drum set up.
I'm thinking I can throttle the water flow with the tap at the lower fitting, to limit the cooling effect, if necessary.
Hopefully I can find some coolant/concentrate at a good price.

ajaffa1:
Hi Jordan, a lot of people start off with a 44, trouble is they don`t last long. I think their  life can probably be extended by bolting a sacrificial anode inside it. A better solution would be to look out for an old hot water cylinder, some of these are steel with stove enameled (glass) lining, others are made of copper. If you are really lucky you might find a stainless steel unit. I have also seen a lot of people use large propane/LPG bottles, most of these are galvanized and should give years of service.

Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version