Lister Engines > Original Lister Cs Engines

Lubricating oil?

(1/2) > >>

Jordan:
I'm looking for oil recommendations for a CS1 6hp made in 1953.
I don't think it has a full flow filter?
So I guess a dispersant additive is not wanted, as it would not encourage debris to sink to the bottom of the sump.
I'm in Australia.

Thanks folks.

ajaffa1:
Hi Jordan, if it doesn`t have a filter, you are right in thinking you need to run a non detergent oil. Repco do a heritage 30 SAE oil, probably quite pricey and you may need to ask them to order it in for you: https://www.repco.com.au/en/brands/penrite-oil/penrite-heritage-ltm-sae-30-non-detergent-engine-oil-5ltr/p/A9439085

Bob

BruceM:
I run multi-viscosity, the cheapest "all fleet" I can find.  It makes winter cranking faster and easier on my air motor - rubber wheel starter.  I have no lower sump in my Listeroid, and did add a "sock in a box" gravity filter below my big door.

Jordan:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm under the impression that detergents are not the same as dispersants.
Detergents clean surfaces, dispersants are what keep particles in suspension.
It may be that detergents have some dispersant action? I don't know.

Sometimes it seems that multi-grade oils are assumed to be high detergent, but I don't see a direct connection.
It could be that a low- or non-detergent oil contains viscosity modifiers?

To try to answer the query about what's so bad about having particles in suspension -
When a full flow filter is fitted in line before reaching the bearing surfaces, the particles are removed from the system in time.
With no full flow filtering, the particles could theoretically give the oil some abrasive character.
Better to have them fall away to the bottom?

No doubt Lister engines can last a very long time with any oil.
But I wonder if they'd last a very, very long time with a particular oil.

Jordan:
Thanks Glort.
I'm sure you're right about old Listers being very forgiving of oil used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version