Puppeteer

Author Topic: Good price?  (Read 4996 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Good price?
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:25:40 PM »
Hello all,

Would love some opinions on a listeroid I found for sale in the midwest. It is a Metro premium 6/1 (no idea what premium means) with ST 5kw generator on a steel I frame. Engine is describes as like new, generator is described as used but good shape. He is asking $3000. Is that a decent price in 2019? Would love some input.

Thank you.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

John (Boston)

• View Profile
Re: Good price?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »
My opinion is - that's a pretty good deal, especially if you are going to pick it up (no shipping).

-John (Boston)
Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 07:06:58 PM »
In my mind, value is based on what was done before putting it in service.  If the crankcase interior paint is the stock green over sand Rajkot crap, you better look closely at the upper bearing surface for sand damage.  Best to assume it's a kit with base and start over.  The price including ST5 and steel base isn't sky high.  It would be a great deal if the engine was done over in 38ac's fashion.  Look at rocker alignment with valves, watch for tappet rotation when cranking too.   Believe your eyes and not the warm air from the seller about engine cleanup and setup.

Metro Premium-  means it's a Listeriod, modified crankcase, no sump or oil pump, splash only, roller bearing mains, and missing two bolts on cylinder head.  None of those mods are a show stopper to me.  (I have a Metro Listeroid.)  Parts quality varies wildly, the same as any other Rajkot made CS clone or Listeroid. 

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »
Thanks Bruce,

I believe it is just a base with parts kit, the guy didn't run it much so I'm assuming it didn't run great when he put it together and is scared to run it, so time to sell it I guess. What questions should I ask before driving down there?
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »
I'd be thinking of things to make him come down in price $500.  Like asking about sand damage to the bearings and can you pull the bearing shells for inspection, does it have original paint, and is it a hopper.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:55:47 PM »
Don't trust anyones sand inspection report.   just ask to open it up when you get there to inspect.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 08:05:15 PM »
+1, I'd assume the worst unless inspection shows otherwise.  Questions with easily confirmed answers will help put him on his heels on price a bit.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 09:20:25 PM »
Hi Tanman, the good news is that spares for these are readily available. If there is any sign of casting sand in the interior, it is going to need stripping, cleaning and rebuilding. Please see 38ac`s Indian engine rebuild on the WOK at the top of the home page. This will give you an idea of the work needed and the techniques involved.

The quality of ST heads also varies enormously, I would recommend pulling the ends off it and checking the bearings. If it has unsealed bearings, replace them with new sealed bearings. Also check the alignment and condition of the slip rings and brushes. Replace the nasty cheap bridge rectifier with something better quality and check all the wiring in the top box.

Putting in the time, money and effort at the begging will ensure you have a reliable setup for years to come.

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 09:29:04 PM »
+ another 1!

Have a read of the stuff on the WOK, especially the sand stuff, take all your own tools, and a torch, in order to pop the inspection hatch at the minimum, make sure you have sockets, attacking it with a monkey wrench won't make you look very professional, be nice and if you can, show the seller some of the stuff from here that details the pitfalls of Rajkot iron on a tablet, fix your top price and take that much - and no more - in cash, when you are getting close flash the cash and ask which he would prefer you to walk away with, remember that lister(iod)s are like nurses and buses, there's always another one coming down the road, eventually......

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:20 PM »
In the midwest DES 8/1 clones are also a good choice, and Gary's support for replacement of defective Rajkot parts is very impressive.  I did a propane conversion of one for my neighbor and think very highly of Gary and DES.  Yes, I did have some blooper parts, which he replaced pronto, and his support for a highly unusual modification was stellar.  He even loaned us a used CA110 propane carb when we were having carburetor challenges due to the gulping intake of the CS, and his technical expertise with other propane engines was invaluable.  We did the whole 38ac procedure and it's been a reliable, great runner for an off grid homestead with around 1000 hrs now. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 10:40:04 PM »
Hi Tanman, I read in one of your other posts that you are only 25 years old. The fact that there are still some young people with the skills and inclination for this sort of work has made my week, there is hope for the human race. I think I speak for everyone on this forum when I say that you will have our full support.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
Wow, thank you guys. I really appreciate the feedback. I will keep you updated. My wife said I have to sell my Subaru Robin generator before I can get a lister. A Reasonable request since we just bought our first house together and the money doesn't come down as easy as the snow does. Hopefully it will sell quick! I will continue to do some reading and get more familiar with the platform. Thanks again.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 03:44:50 AM »
Glort. I hope your Wife never ever reads anything you post, She might conclude that her husband is a cunning, manipulative SOB.  :laugh:

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 06:06:04 AM »
I live alone because my health is crap, and voice, music and sounds affect my epilepsy, not because I think that's a great choice, or that I don't have fond memories of women.

I have only two generators, the 6/1 Listeroid and a 4KW cheapo gas portable backup generator that's been sitting in a Rubbermaid deck box next to the engine shed.  It hasn't had fuel in it's carburetor for about 10 years. 

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
That is great advice, I have a transfer box I picked up that I just need to wire in, and can show her how great it is for her lol.
Kubota ea300
Metro 12/2