Author Topic: Good price?  (Read 680 times)

Tanman

• View Profile
Re: Good price?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 03:13:29 PM »
That is great advice, I have a transfer box I picked up that I just need to wire in, and can show her how great it is for her lol.
Hatz 1B40
Chinese 1115
96 Suburban 6.5 turbo

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
Glort. I hope your Wife never ever reads anything you post, She might conclude that her husband is a cunning, manipulative SOB.  :laugh:

Bob

I resemble that remark!!   
And so much more.

Pretty sure she worked that out a LOOOONG time ago Bob.
Decent Fellas must be in terrible short supply because she has stuck with me all these years and still hasn't cleared out.

She is a bit strange though, when i was musing few days ago about something I should have done when I had the excavator here, There was mention of a hole about 6.5 Ft long, 3 ft wide and how deep could it have been Dug?
 Next question was if the excavator was easy to use to fill holes in?

Not sure why she would want to dig a hole then fill it in but I guess I have to expect if she is weird enough to put up with me she is going to ask some strange questions now and then.

I have only two generators

Like I said, Smarter than the average bear.

And about 1000X times smarter than this one.

I went to Visit my Dad couple of Days ago for his 80Th Birthday and took his long lost grandaughter with me.  Went past this place called Seham where there was a huge Auction of a massive engine and old machinery collection last year.

I wondered what happened to it all?
I have not noticed any rise in the amount of old engines for sale so I can only assume a lot probably went from sitting in one old Fellas shed to sitting in a lot of other old fella's sheds. 
Hopefully when they fall off the perch they won't be just thrown out as junk.

There might be a few Young Fella's like Tanman that end up with massive toy collections because there might only be a handful of blokes like them interested in the stuff.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 01:10:15 AM »
That is great advice, I have a transfer box I picked up that I just need to wire in, and can show her how great it is for her lol.

Don't even Remind me of that!

Was talking on a thread on another non DIY type site the other week where some of the participants got some bright ideas to install back up gennys due to the high amount of blackouts they got.
Clearly Not a single clue about anything to do with electricity and despite me trying to advise on what size gennys they would need to run their whole houses and how ever many loads of fridges they all seemed to have and the cost of doing it, it was all ignored.  They were most adamant they didn't want a portable genny and an extension lead at first and then after me telling them that their  $3k Budgets were not going to cover a genny to run the whole place located 30M from the house in another shed and  just have a transfer switch and a remote start in the house, when they woke up finally that I was right, Next thing they were all talking about is how cheap they can get a 2Kva Genny and a special plug wired to teh genny and the house to just plug it in.

Trying to educate them about Circuits and phases and the cost of wiring selected items just to a switch they want to use also was like talking to a brick wall. I was told I was making mountains out of Molehills and over complicating things when I actually over simplified it so as to not completely confuse the low standards of the audience I was addressing.

One guy found a local sparky that said he could wire in the plugs and switch to the house for a considerable sum so that any genny could be used on the house. Guess who wants the job and don't care about what the client does. Probably tried to explain and gave up as well.
Can't wait till the first blackout and the Mrs Puts on a load of washing and tries to make a cup of tea in their all electric house hooked to a 2 Kva  ( NOT Kw) Genny. 

There are some things you can tell people and somethings they have to find out for themselves.... the hard way.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 02:56:19 AM »
That's called the Kruger-Dunning effect.  The strongly opinionated  idiots hugely outnumber the intelligent and thoughtful.  The idiots are always quite certain that they know best and can't be reasoned with.  All humans demonstrate Kruger-Dunning. It's not one of our best traits.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 04:09:08 AM »

I think the internet has a huge magnification of the effect. So many things I have been involved in where parroted mantras which are completely without basis or fact are taken to be akin to laws of physics. Some ignorant comes up with them, everyone repeats them ad nauseum, everyone believes anything else is flat out wrong and they NEVER get their hands dirty and test it themselves. Won't even research most things to see how they apply outside the specific subject in other fields.

When you demonstrate and prove they are wrong, you get the highly intelligent response of " I don't care, I'm still doing it/ believing it".
By the same token, if one harps enough to the opposite, sooner or later one of the brighter sparks will try it and then when they report the positive results the effect gradually snowballs to the point where at least some people have the right idea.

Old beliefs die hard though and there are always some that will stick with what they have been brainwashed with.

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 04:34:08 AM »

[/quote]
There might be a few Young Fella's like Tanman that end up with massive toy collections because there might only be a handful of blokes like them interested in the stuff.
[/quote]

That may happen. At my last sales job in Minneapolis one of my coworkers (almost everyone there was under 30) payed me $40 to do a seafoam treatment on his jeep, then paid me $100 to install some shocks (really simple just a bolt or two on each end) I couldn't believe it. When I first brought up seafoam they thought I was talking about an app for their phone. The world is changing and I seem to have been born in the wrong generation.
Hatz 1B40
Chinese 1115
96 Suburban 6.5 turbo

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 06:34:35 AM »

[/quote]

then paid me $100 to install some shocks (really simple just a bolt or two on each end)

The world is changing and I seem to have been born in the wrong generation.
[/quote]

Maybe Not! Yo might be in the right tiome to make a fortune and a very comfortable living for yourself.

I remember working with an asian bloke some years ago who knew I was a a bit car savvy and asked me if I knew a good Mechanic to take his car to.  I asked what was wrong and he said  he had a brake and a tail light out.
I made a sarcastic reply of Ohhhhhh Really?  His next question was how much did I think that would cost to Fix, would it be more than $500?  I would have thought he was taking the piss had I not known him better.

I told him I thought I had a couple of globes at home and I'd have a look. Came in the next night, got him to open the boot and while he was talking to another guy we worked with I changed them. Shut the boot said OK, you;re set and he looked a bit bewildered. He said is it bad? I said what? He said the lights, will it cost a lot to fix? I said they are fixed mate, all right to go.  More bewilderment. He said you fixed it just now?
Yep!

If that guy thanked me once he thanked me a dozen times till I got embarrassed and said enough.  Bring me a cup of coffee next time and we are even.
Nice bloke and smart too but when it came to that sort of stuff, not a clue.

There are MANY more like him out there.

My brother in law is one.  He says there is only one thing in his tool box and it can fix anything..... His checkbook to get someone in and fix whatever he wants.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 08:14:14 AM »

[/quote]

That may happen. At my last sales job in Minneapolis one of my coworkers (almost everyone there was under 30) payed me $40 to do a seafoam treatment on his jeep, then paid me $100 to install some shocks (really simple just a bolt or two on each end) I couldn't believe it. When I first brought up seafoam they thought I was talking about an app for their phone. The world is changing and I seem to have been born in the wrong generation.
[/quote]

Tanman did that seafoam do any good?  I had a 2002 Corolla for a while with oil-control rings varnished/glazed up & it was an awful oil-burner although otherwise a good, tough, reliable Corolla.  I often thought that seafoam might loosen shit on them a bit

My daughter had it for a year or so and I used to keep an eye on the oil for her.  But one day she noticed it was a bit low and tipped in a whole five-litre pack of 15-40.  There was (apparently) a LOT of smoke & steam but she persevered with driving it until it melted, really

One way to fix it, I guess

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »
Hi Glort, the problem with the world is that there is too much dependence on money. People devote their entire lives to accumulating it, while the government try their best to steal it from them, unless they are a big corporation. A dollar bill has no value unless the people believe that the government and central bank are going to keep their promises. Not much sign of that happening in any part of the western world at present.

I have lived through a lot of recessions, in various countries. The big end of town always survives, with government support. The little guy always gets screwed and the value of the dollar in your pocket dives, unemployment rises and wages fall; all good for the big end of town.

There has to be a better way of doing things so that young men like Tanman get a fair go and don`t get screwed by this wasteful, inefficient, parasitic system.

I am very glad that I am now old and have lived in an era when money had value and politicians did their best for their constituents. Those days are over and I have grave concerns for future generations. The huge debts that this generation are leaving the next generations are a disgrace and will be a lifelong drag on their lives.

Big business will continue to sell, ever increasingly, not fit for purpose equipment to people with ever decreasing understanding of how it works. People with any technical/mechanical ability are becoming increasingly rare. If I had my, time again I would be studying engineering, electronics and water management systems.

Tanman, please keep learning, studying and improving your skills. The world is going to need people like you, it just doesn`t know it yet.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »

I am very glad that I am now old and have lived in an era when money had value and politicians did their best for their constituents. Those days are over and I have grave concerns for future generations. The huge debts that this generation are leaving the next generations are a disgrace and will be a lifelong drag on their lives.

To me things just seem to be getting worse and worse.
People have become used to being lied to by leaders, screwed over by big biz and accepting more stress and worry in exchange for farce book and and other invasions of their privacy and being played for suckers with targeted marketing for crap they don't need and does not last anyway.

The motivation of big biz for endless growth and pushing for unrealistic amounts has got to come to an end sooner or later and when it does..... Well I hope i'm not around.

Mate works in corporate and the pressure they put on him to endlessly pull money out his arse for them is something I couln't stand. he's paid a lot but it's killing him not too slowly. he doesen't see how he is aging or getting sicker all the time with stress related complaints but they are just burning him up and when he's done he'll be replaced without a thought and do the same if not worse to the next guy.

The corporate and gummermint mentalities these days really is quite evil and the only logical conclusion is they are driving the whole world very forcefully into just eating itself up before it collapses in a smoking mess.

When it comes to an end, the CEO's will be the most useless humans on earth. The ones they looked down on like tanman whom were hands on will be the leaders and the ones that survive.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 10:31:26 AM »
Hi Glort, very worried that you are right, the sheeple have no say in things, the governments have no choice due to their debt repayment responsibilities. Big business always wants to get bigger and, in the present economic situation, are encouraged by the government.

I`m not sure that I want to be around when the sh1t hits the fan, but then again there might be some satisfaction in saying: `I told you so`, as the world goes mad and politicians get lynched.

My brother is a very wealthy London banker, everything he has ever earned is invested in the corrupt financial system, if that system ever fails he has nothing but a house in London, which would be unsaleable.

Don`t ever expect that what is the norm today to be the norm tomorrow.

Bob

Tanman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 02:33:57 PM »

Tanman did that seafoam do any good?  I had a 2002 Corolla for a while with oil-control rings varnished/glazed up & it was an awful oil-burner although otherwise a good, tough, reliable Corolla.  I often thought that seafoam might loosen shit on them a bit

My daughter had it for a year or so and I used to keep an eye on the oil for her.  But one day she noticed it was a bit low and tipped in a whole five-litre pack of 15-40.  There was (apparently) a LOT of smoke & steam but she persevered with driving it until it melted, really

One way to fix it, I guess

Mikenash, it sounds like it had too much $h!t loose. I probably would have tried one of the "engine restore" products that helps build the cylinder walls and rings back up with ceramics and other wizardry they put in the can. I've seen it work very well on low compression worn out tractors and the like. I'll be putting a can through my diesel suburban that has some miles on it soon. Seafoam isn't the best cleaner out there anymore, it doesn't have PEA in it. When they changed the gas and started putting a lot of ethanol in it the needs in a fuel additive changed. Gumout with PEA or any fuel additive with PEA should work much better than seafoam in a modern 4 stroke engine (IMO).
Hatz 1B40
Chinese 1115
96 Suburban 6.5 turbo