Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Good price?

(1/5) > >>

Tanman:
Hello all,

Would love some opinions on a listeroid I found for sale in the midwest. It is a Metro premium 6/1 (no idea what premium means) with ST 5kw generator on a steel I frame. Engine is describes as like new, generator is described as used but good shape. He is asking $3000. Is that a decent price in 2019? Would love some input.

Thank you.

John (Boston):
My opinion is - that's a pretty good deal, especially if you are going to pick it up (no shipping).

-John (Boston)

BruceM:
In my mind, value is based on what was done before putting it in service.  If the crankcase interior paint is the stock green over sand Rajkot crap, you better look closely at the upper bearing surface for sand damage.  Best to assume it's a kit with base and start over.  The price including ST5 and steel base isn't sky high.  It would be a great deal if the engine was done over in 38ac's fashion.  Look at rocker alignment with valves, watch for tappet rotation when cranking too.   Believe your eyes and not the warm air from the seller about engine cleanup and setup.

Metro Premium-  means it's a Listeriod, modified crankcase, no sump or oil pump, splash only, roller bearing mains, and missing two bolts on cylinder head.  None of those mods are a show stopper to me.  (I have a Metro Listeroid.)  Parts quality varies wildly, the same as any other Rajkot made CS clone or Listeroid. 

Tanman:
Thanks Bruce,

I believe it is just a base with parts kit, the guy didn't run it much so I'm assuming it didn't run great when he put it together and is scared to run it, so time to sell it I guess. What questions should I ask before driving down there?

BruceM:
I'd be thinking of things to make him come down in price $500.  Like asking about sand damage to the bearings and can you pull the bearing shells for inspection, does it have original paint, and is it a hopper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version