Puppeteer

Author Topic: Another shop project  (Read 3032 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Another shop project
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2019, 12:45:54 PM »
The fuel pump for a hot bulb engine is similar to the jerk pumps used on diesels in that it uses a close tolorance piston. It differs in how the delivery is regulated and that the pump stroke is very short. On the 4M it is .035" maximum.  It hangs below the engine where it is easily damaged  or destroyed and there are none available anywhere. That is why the engine skid  was  installled before the fuel pump. The system operates under 500psi To give scale to it the plunger is about 3/4"

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

sirpedrosa

• Just one more day hoping to hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2019, 01:22:25 PM »
Hi Butch

...It stills a state of art piece!

It really worth to see it bringed alive... lets cross fingers.

Cheers
VP
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
Well done Butch, looks like you are making great progress. How are you going with the arctic weather predicted for you parts of the world?

I have a couple of questions: how is fuel delivered to the fuel reservoir? I am assuming that you would just fill the reservoir manually with about a quarter pint of gasoline, drop on the missing cover and start her up, this would heat the bulb allowing you to switch over to Diesel.

My second question is why there is a need to cool the fuel injector, does it get hot enough to vaporize the diesel? I have seen a lot of fuel injectors on air cooled diesels and never had a problem with fuel evaporating.

Love that Fuel pump, it has more in common with an oil pump than a fuel pump. Can`t believe the good condition of the plunger after more than a century, They certainly new how to make things that last back then. 500 PSI is quite low but I guess that with a large volume, slow speed engine like this, the fuel is vaporized by the heat rather than the injector spray pressure and pattern.

Keep warm,
Bob.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2019, 11:56:27 AM »
We weatherd the coldest just fine, low here was -7 with strong winds. Just to our west -39 was reported with same winds. BRRRRRRRRR!!!

Yes the starting reservoir is filled manually

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
Hi Butch, glad you are OK and didn`t get the worst of the cold weather. The worst I have ever experienced was minus 30 C, while skiing in France. At that temperature your eyeballs freeze over and you can`t see where you are going, you have to keep blinking to clear the frost, even with goggles on!

Stay safe,
Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2019, 11:51:34 AM »
Yesterdays project was fabricating a high pressure line safety filter that was missing from my engine. This was not designed to be the only fuel filter, just a safety net for any trash that might plug the nozzle.  I didn't  have a print, just the drawing in the parts book thus its close but not an exact reproduction.  The seating angles are 25 degrees, oddball. The male parts were easy enough duplicated on the lathe but I had to make tooling to ream the female sockets. All made from bar stock there is about 8 hours of machine time here, good thing it isnt a money making deal!! The screen is a sprayer part from the local farm store.

And installed in the injector housing

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2019, 12:03:59 AM »
An amazing replica machining job from an antique parts manual picture.  Wow!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2019, 06:44:28 AM »
Once again, nice work, I envy you the chance to go against the more usual time = money and ugly, and function over form.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2019, 10:29:07 PM »
Nice work Butch, I spent years working a lathe and know how time consuming this sort of work is, especially if you are having to make your own tooling.

Do you have the original fuel line or are you going to have to make that as well? Will it have swagged/flared ends or  soldered/brazed brass ferrules?

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2019, 11:22:39 PM »
Here is a link to the engine running on the starting and warm up mode on gasoline
https://youtu.be/e-wzubj9zUw

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2019, 12:00:50 AM »
Your productivity is humbling and inspiring, 38AC.  Marvelous job, I'm sure oil operation is not far away now. How hard is it to start? 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2019, 02:31:03 AM »
Hi Butch, you are an inspiration to us all, I can not begin to tell you how much I want one of those!  :)

Bob

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2019, 07:11:45 AM »
Good to see, great work, thanks for posting.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2019, 11:17:47 AM »
 Thank you, productivity in the shop recieved large boost when I retired but this was a relatively easy project. Mostly requiring assembly. Missing bits slowed it down as they were made up.  Starting is effortless when using the air start. Place the piston just past TDC and push the valve and it spins over usually hitting the second time over.  Going to put this one away until it is fit to play with it outside and am VERY excited to be starting on another neat old generating set in a few days,,, going to start a thread but until then I am going to leave you to wonder what??? LOL.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

Before you mothball this one, would be good to see a vid of it starting from cold and then changing over to oil or diesel or whatever it runs.

None of it looked easy to me. I think you sell your skills well short.  If you were nearby I would come work with you every day I could to learn some of the vast knowledge of these machines you have.

Maybe you could consider writing a book or at least a more detailed website where you could pass on some of your very valueable knowledge of these machines as you work with them?