Puppeteer

Author Topic: Another shop project  (Read 2372 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Another shop project
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 01:22:57 AM »
Must have been a tax on cam lobes back in the day, only reason  I can think of that Ruston would have  gone to all this trouble just so they could get by with one lobe?..😀
Details of the valve operating mechanism.  Intake on top, exhaust on the bottom.

Close up of the cam. The pin beside the roller is how you switch to half compression for starting. You pull the pin, move the roller out for full compression or in for half and reinsert it,, while running. The half compression bump is visable at the rear of the lobe.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 01:29:18 AM »
Lovely rotary saw rig, that Peterson mill. You have a marvelous shop!
The scale of this engine is still hard for me to imagine. 

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 10:08:31 PM »
Butch, I hate you. What I would give for a supply of ash, oak or walnut. Australian hard woods are some of the best in the world but they are so hard that they can only be worked using tungsten tipped tooling. They play havoc with planners, thicknessers and chainsaws. They also weigh twice what European or American timber does.

I hate you even more for showing your Peterson mill with snow on the ground, Australia is in the grip of a heatwave with temperatures of forty centigrade or more. Lack of national power generating capacity has left us with rolling blackouts as the electricity companies try to balance the load from AC units.

That said, I love that engine and the work you are doing on it. What are you going to use it for? It`s such a work of art and deserves to be put to a good use. Can`t wait to see what you have planned.

Bob

sirpedrosa

• Just one more day hoping to hear that sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 11:39:24 PM »
Material clamped down and using simple tools to make precise gaskets. Divider,  scale and punch, those lines are not pencil marks but one, I have one leg of the divider sharpened like a knife.

Hi Butch
Have you ever think to attach a bistury to that leg insted of sharpened it? (I know keep it simple make it work is far quiker, but some air of the finest engineering add for shure value to the WOK)

I'm already scratching my self to see that machine "flinting".
Very nice work.

BR
VP
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »
Bob, Peterson sells a good many mills in your world because the blades are  indeed carbide inserted and they are almost local in New Zealand. Mine is the baby size, read "Affordable"   I have a good  supply of lumber and enjoy running it as much as using the lumber.

Send some of that heat my way!! Look up our next 7 day forecast for 43019,, :-[ :-[

There is no planned usage for this engine and it's too big to haul around to shows. Plans are to build an old style power house to house it and a couple other of my larger engines and run them whenever the mood strikes me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:17:52 PM by 38ac »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2019, 01:25:20 PM »
There is a kit of divider tools made just for such work but I don't have enough use for them to spend the money. The dividers came from Harbor Freight (China tool outlet) for pocket change and work well enough. The carbide  hole punch also came from there. As a rule I deplore  cheap tools but in a few cases they work well enough for limited use.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »
Butch, I did like you suggested and looked at the weather forecast for your zip code. Tuesday night gives minus 4 Fahrenheit rising to a maximum of three Fahrenheit on Wednesday, ouch. Hope you have plenty of warm clothing and heating fuel. Might be a good time to check the antifreeze in anything water cooled.
Stay safe,

Bob 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2019, 11:35:15 AM »
Bob, we take a day to check and drain  everything in the fall. Sadley the hobby is loosing old engines every year to frosting. Mainly when collectors pass on and the estate doesn't take care of things.

The skid is complete and in position to install

And under the engine after  a few hours with jacks and cribbing.  This photo helps give scale to it with my old IROC in the background

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »
Wow, the size of that thing is frightening, how big is the crank handle?  Love the skid, great work as usual.
Very sad to hear about the losses to frost damage, not a big problem where I live.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »
No crank handle for this one, it is air  start,  more on that later. I do have  a 31HP Blackstone tbat is crank start.

The starting carburetor,  and interesting piece of work. This is the top half showing the fuel reservoir,  the mixture needle at the rear. The brass screen covers the air inlet.  The spring holds the atmospheric inlet valve against the seat. Not visible is the fuel fuel channel that terminates in the middle of the valve seat much like a natural gas engine. All the the air for starting must go through a 1/4" drilled channel in this section of the carburetor.

All for  now as my photo host has decided to reject all attemps at uploads, grrr
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:34:10 PM by 38ac »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »
Thanks Butch, please expand on the carburation method when the new technology allows, also please loose the axe it looks like you are cutting gaskets with it!  :laugh:

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
Ok photos working once more. The bottom part of the carburetor showing the valve that isolates it from the hot bulb after starting and the spark plug, pretty odd eh?

I bought an entire case of these old AC plugs on Ebay for cheap because they are for some odd ball application.  They are the right length and screw in the hole.  I highly doubt that the engine will know it has a non spec heat range and I know that I dont care either :D

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
No worries about the brick hammer Bob ;) i just used it to tap the gasket punches 8)

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2019, 12:50:03 PM »
Its hard to realize whats going on when things are in pieces.  This should help.
Think of it as an entire separate intake system, not just a carburetor.
Here it is mounted on the hot bulb. I have to machine a cap for the fuel reservoir as the original was lost. Also shown is the fuel injector and the injector cooling lines reinstalled.

Another view sorry for the busy backgrounds,  I am no photographer actually

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:54:54 PM by 38ac »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2019, 01:00:35 PM »
Wow Butch, I have never seen a system where they have the spark plug in the intake manifold with a valve on the wrong side of things. I wonder how many operators have lost hair, eyebrows etc to a back fire. Please be careful when you try to start this absurdity.

Bob