Author Topic: Another shop project  (Read 1166 times)

BruceM

• View Profile
Re: Another shop project
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »
38AC's projects are a joy to follow and learn from, and this one is a beauty!  I didn't realize that hot bulb (surface ignition) was largely a Diesel patent infringement dodge.  It kinda looks like a variation on indirect injection. 

What a great project!

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »
Hi Bruce, a quick search on the internet tells me that Ruston Hornsby  was formed by merging two companies, the Ruston side of things had been building oil engines eight years before Rudolf Diesel built his first production diesel engine.

Stef, loved the rant, almost as long winded as Glort. You could have just told me I`m a f*cking dinosaur and to get a grip!  :laugh:

Glort, not looking for an apprentice just now, but I`ll keep you in mind. Suddenly I have a vision of the sorcerers apprentice with all those buckets of water! I need to take my tablets.

Butch, keep up the very impressive work.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2019, 12:53:24 AM »
You're right, Bob.  The Ruston Hornsby hot bulb oil engines did predate Rudolf Diesel's work.  There's an interesting article on hot bulb engines on Wikipedia.  They were very low compression if that article is to be believed- it says 3:1 to 5:1 compression for hot bulb engines.  It mentions the spark ignition on gas started variation like 38ac's also.

Operational issues are mentioned- like the unavoidable timing advance due to heavy load countered by water drip into intake.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2019, 01:09:32 AM »
I believe that Diesel had the patents for some time before he had a working engine. I am actually not a student of the history. I enjoy the mechanics and information kinda finds it's way to me. I do know that Diesel spent considerable amount of effort protecting his invention and actively pursued anyone who was even close to infringement including hotbulb,, so I was told.

As for the current crop of mechanical rum dummies it creates good opportunity
My sons grew up at my elbows in the shop and I told them if they wanted to be financially secure with never ending work to stay in the heavy mechanical field.  Both of them now have six figure income and  can go to work just about anywhere they wish. Heck I am trying  to retire and have people begging me to go to work at my old age. Getting dirty doesn't get a person into higher social circles  but if a person doesn't give a rat's  ass about that  then he can do well for himself,, at least  here in the states.

More Whitworth fasteners,  studs for the governor housing.
First operation thread and parting

Second operation

Making such parts is tedious work for me but the results are gratifying.  Could have just used capscrews but it is now as it was made with studs and heavy pattern nuts. This is the governor box where both timing and amount of fuel is controlled.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:38:45 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2019, 10:27:20 PM »
Well done Butch, quality work as always. It amazes me that every part of that engine would have had to be machined in house, hundreds, possibly thousands of hours of machining by skilled men. No CNC machines back then, no tungsten carbide tooling either. If we tried to build a new one nowadays, using their technology, the wages alone would run into hundreds of thousands of dollars. That`s why these old relics from a bygone era are priceless and I thank you for saving them and sharing them with us.

Bob

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »
I did read of the patent slug fest between Stewart and Diesel whose later patent in 1898 did precede his working engine by several years. Diesel's fuel efficiency was more than double the hot tube ignition, which was limited to very low speeds due to pre-ignition and slow/irregular burn.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 12:30:13 AM »
I selected this engine because the important parts had been reasonably well stored. None the less I was worried about the injector as parts are custom  made only and far beyond  my abilities and machinery.  Took it apart today and to my great surprise and pleasure it looks like it ran yesterday,  in spite of the fact it has been sitting for over 30 years.  A testament  to the quality of the fuel they were burning for sure.

The injector innards, ,,, jewelry

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2019, 12:41:35 AM »
Fabulous lack of corrosion in a 100+ yr old engine.  Since it's hot bulb is this a low pressure injector just to meter fuel into the bulb? 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2019, 12:42:21 AM »
Making head gaskets the  easy way.

Whoever decided it was OK to roll gasket material up in tight rolls ought to be hung!
Material clamped down and using simple tools to make precise gaskets. Divider,  scale and punch, those lines are not pencil marks but one, I have one leg of the divider sharpened like a knife.

Laying out the bolt hole circle, 10 holes so first two are easy 180 apart,getting the other 8 was challenging as a good bit of my geometry schooling has left me.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:37 AM »
I center punched the table under at the pivot point for the diver so I wouldn't  lose center after the center waste  was removed. Here cutting the innner gasket using the sharpened leg of the divider. Material is 1/16" thickness.

And punching the stud holes

The result is nicely fitted gaskets using ordinary tools.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2019, 12:59:38 AM »
Bruce my hot bulb Petter engines run about 300PSI injection pressure. I am not sure on the Ruston? probably in that range. Some details about delivery coming when I get into the pump.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2019, 01:13:30 AM »
I didn't grok the size of the head gasket until your last photo with your feet next to the gasket.  It's HUGE.  No wonder the head weighs 350 lbs! 

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2019, 01:27:05 AM »
AND I have big feet too!😀

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2019, 02:18:32 AM »

I also didn't realise the size of things till that last scaled pic.
That sure is a lot of engine for 10 hp!

You could upgrade the pressure of the IP with a common car power steer pump. I belive they do 1000  PSi plus.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2019, 01:07:45 AM »
There are some fragile and irreplaceable pieces that hang down below the engine base so next order of business is to get the engine off the shop cart and on a suitable  base.
Some Ash from the farm on the Peterson swing mill

Enough to make a nice skid and and lots left over