Author Topic: Pump rack travel as per Lister  (Read 504 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Pump rack travel as per Lister
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:16:10 AM »
This issue came up in a post below and more than a few other times over the years.  Typically  someone will discover that their India engine pump isn't going full rack under load and they think they have issues. They may have but they may not.  The CS engine was never designed to run under load at full rack. Full rack, or near full rack was an over fuel position to aide starting. As designed there was a rack limiter on all CS engines. Something India chose to dispense with and to the detriment of the engines built there.

I happen to have a CS in the shop for rebuild and here are some pics of the pump

Rack in off position  and  showing rack limiter tripped for full rack start

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 02:32:44 AM by 38ac »
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Pump rack travel as per Lister
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:23:49 AM »
Sorry for large pics and multiple posts, learning to use  new tablet

Pic shows full rack  1 inch of travel

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 02:31:22 AM »
And finaly  the travel stop  in the operating position allowing for 1/2 inch of rack travel.  The engine will provide rated power with this amount of rack travel anything  more and you are over fueling the engine.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 03:01:13 AM »
A good engine protection feature, missing on my 6/1 Listeroid.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:36:18 AM »
Sorry for large pics and multiple posts, learning to use  new tablet

Pic shows full rack  1 inch of travel

Hey Butch,  when you have an image open in whatever viewer you use on your tablet - somewhere probably at the top of the screen there will be a little box telling you what percentage you are viewing the image at.  Those ones you posted are large-ish so maybe you are viewing them at 30% or something.  They will be shrunk so the whole image fits on your screen, see?

Somewhere else there will be a tool that says "resize".  If you are viewing an image at, say, 30% for it to fit on the screen, then if you resize it to, say, 29 or 28% you'll see it's a nice fit on screen usually with OK resolution, and a good size to send and for others to open at their end

Just a thought.  Every time you get a new tablet/laptop it takes ages to get it sorted - or that's my experience anyway

Happy 2019, Mike

Engineer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 01:32:58 PM »
Thanks for posting the picture, really an interesting little device easily excluded on the India builds.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 08:35:55 PM »
On the Mico Bosch pumps used on Indian listeroids, the rack is about a half inch shorter and only has a hole in one end, so over fueling is a very real possibility. I`ve never been able to find a supplier that stocks original replacement racks with twin holes. There is a possibility that a rack for a CAV or Bryce pump would be compatible with a Bosch pump but I`ve never tried it.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »
Many ways to get around the India rack changes. Correct pump racks are available from MICO and I have a handful in stock at the shop. Unfortunately they are on the other side of the globe for most on here.  Also person with a small lathe could easily add an extension to the OEM India racks and a Lister type rack limiter is easy enough made. It is not important  that it follow the original  design , just needs to be capable of limiting rack travel to 1/2" when operating. I can mock one up that uses the OEM India racks and buildable in the outback if there is any interest it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:33:47 PM by 38ac »

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »
Would the Mico Bosch rack fit a Bryce or CAV pump? I have several old pumps with damaged or badly worn racks, I would love to be able to make them serviceable again. The pump bodies are serviceable and new elements are available.

Bob

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 02:12:15 AM »
I have been told that all interchange  due to the agreements that Bosch had with others that allowed them to produce that style pump.   I can say that we have used MICO parts in all manner of pumps and have not experienced any problems with fit. If there are pumps that differ I have not seen them.

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 03:00:39 AM »
Thank you 38ac, I`ll investigate where to buy a new Mico Bosch rack (twin hole) and let you know how I get on.

Bob