Puppeteer

Author Topic: Students visit a "high tech " assembly plant  (Read 7152 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Students visit a "high tech " assembly plant
« on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »

If you teach new students this type of manufacturing, you will get more of .... this type of manufacturing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Bd7JczBMU
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Students visit a "high tech " assembly plant
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
Very neat video.  I wonder when it was filmed? 

Men; Go this way in your black tops and Ladies; Go this way in your pink tops.  Aside from the interesting cultural difference that's a lot of twins and a boat load of singles.  Where in the world are they going?  Not to the USA.  I wonder if there are any distribution data available?
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

John (Boston)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:31:42 PM »
Yes, a very cool video.  I assume most of those engines were for domestic (Indian) use.  Somewhere I read that it's only a small number that get exported.  Not sure where I read that but I guess it makes sense.

I remember seeing a video of them casting things right in the "ground".  I think they were casting air cooled Petteroid cylinders.  If I recall it shows them breaking up scrap iron by hand with sledge hammers (big truck engines and stuff like that).  Then it shows them melting and skimming, and pouring into the "ground" with a big two-man ladle.  These guys are hard workers.

The company I work for once got a job machining big cast iron parts.  The rough castings were from India.  I remember someone asking the machinist how it was cutting the iron.  He said, "It's not too bad until you hit a file".  We weren't sure there were actually files in there but those castings certainly had inclusions.  You could see them plain as day in the cut.  And, I guess they would ruin the tool on some of them.  I always thought of this when looking at my flywheels.

-John (Boston)
Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 06:15:29 PM »
Like cutting into a big old Macrocapa hedgerow tree and hitting a steel fence standard from 40 years ago with the new chain on your Jonsered

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:44 PM »
Yes the iron quality is spotty at best.  I have run into flywheels that are so hard at the rim that they  refuse a carbide  end mill. 

I wonder  when they add the sand to the crankcase?????  I didn't notice any laying about in the video ;D
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

John (Boston)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 03:25:47 PM »
Actually, somewhere I saw a video of the jib key setting as well.  Poor engines.  They were positively ramming the keys in.  These were smaller engines - maybe petteroids - and each blow of the hammer rocked the engine sideways.  I'm surprised they don't crack the crank case.

One of my keys is stuck (can't get it to budge) and after seeing the video I became concerned about stress risers at the square corners of the slot in the flywheel.  That's a lot of force on a taper that doesn't even fit to begin with.  The key I got out had a shim wrapped around it, painted green so probably a factory "repair".  I fitted a new key to that side the best I could.  Took a lot of careful filing to get good contact.

On the sand, they probably won't show that.  It's a trade secret :)

They only showed a little blip of a load test.  I saw a better video of the test - pretty interesting.  If I recall they use a water cooled wrap of heavy rope on a drum to apply a load.  Looks like they can vary the load and even maybe measure it in terms of pull on the rope.

-John (Boston)
Metro 6/1 (genset)
Cummins 6BT (89 Dodge truck, bought it new)
Cummins 4BT (91 Oshkosh bread truck)
Kubota D1005 (B2320 tractor)

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 10:11:40 PM »
The sand secret is shown, you just missed it.  The same "test run" oil is used over and over, without filtration, in crankcases that were made and "finished" on dirt floors, with no pressure washing of the crankcases after casting. They left out the video of dirt floor, cottage parts manufacturing there in Rajkot and the absence of sand cast parts cleaning.  The assembler in the video is pretending to be a manufacturer, but has zero QC of incoming parts.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 04:20:25 AM »

and then there is this guy

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 05:50:04 AM »
Wonder if this guy was one of the students? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B34BmTqWg4

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 05:57:15 AM »
As if beating a piston into the cylinder with a four pound hammer wasn`t bad enough, this guy decides to change the injector pump element in a field! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAvY_Q70kOw

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 06:53:30 AM »
I have great sympathy for these poor workers and the conditions they work in.  It's a pity that the quality culture of Rajkot was not able to change even with great encouragement and effort by a number of US importers in the pre-ban era.  I'm greatful  that they are able to continue to make Lister CS parts.  I thank my lucky stars I was not born poor in India.

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 07:11:59 AM »
Wonder if this guy was one of the students? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B34BmTqWg4

All those years I've had a couple of those steel foot-rules in the toolbox & never knew what they were for . . .

old seagull man

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »
Ok since we seem to be sharing videos.

This is for all my new friends who have just rebuilt a ST5 Generator head, and helped me do mine, or have ever worked on one.

This was my secret guide to rebuilding Mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SK9xDnXjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SK9xDnXjc

Remember these are professionals, and "Nobody should try this at home".

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 08:55:14 AM »
Oh sh1t OSM. I do hope you followed my approach rather than theirs.

Bob

ajaffa1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
Hey BruceM, I do hope that you don`t think that I was being disparaging about the two men in the videos, I wasn`t. Poverty is a curse and we should do everything to eradicate it, that said, I have traveled through India and found it to be one of the richest cultures I have seen, despite the poverty of the people.

Education is everything, in these situations, and India is beating the rest of the world with it`s educational standards at present. I am sure that India will become the next industrial power house with standards to rival any country on earth. 

I just find it frustrating to watch men doing their best in such rotten circumstances, a bit of plastic sheet, some clean rags, a paintbrush and a pint of diesel in an old plastic bucket would have made their lives so much easier and probably extended the engines lives by a considerable margin.

Bob