Lister Engines > Listeroid Engines

Students visit a "high tech " assembly plant

(1/5) > >>

veggie:

If you teach new students this type of manufacturing, you will get more of .... this type of manufacturing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Bd7JczBMU

LowGear:
Very neat video.  I wonder when it was filmed? 

Men; Go this way in your black tops and Ladies; Go this way in your pink tops.  Aside from the interesting cultural difference that's a lot of twins and a boat load of singles.  Where in the world are they going?  Not to the USA.  I wonder if there are any distribution data available?

John (Boston):
Yes, a very cool video.  I assume most of those engines were for domestic (Indian) use.  Somewhere I read that it's only a small number that get exported.  Not sure where I read that but I guess it makes sense.

I remember seeing a video of them casting things right in the "ground".  I think they were casting air cooled Petteroid cylinders.  If I recall it shows them breaking up scrap iron by hand with sledge hammers (big truck engines and stuff like that).  Then it shows them melting and skimming, and pouring into the "ground" with a big two-man ladle.  These guys are hard workers.

The company I work for once got a job machining big cast iron parts.  The rough castings were from India.  I remember someone asking the machinist how it was cutting the iron.  He said, "It's not too bad until you hit a file".  We weren't sure there were actually files in there but those castings certainly had inclusions.  You could see them plain as day in the cut.  And, I guess they would ruin the tool on some of them.  I always thought of this when looking at my flywheels.

-John (Boston)

mikenash:
Like cutting into a big old Macrocapa hedgerow tree and hitting a steel fence standard from 40 years ago with the new chain on your Jonsered

38ac:
Yes the iron quality is spotty at best.  I have run into flywheels that are so hard at the rim that they  refuse a carbide  end mill. 

I wonder  when they add the sand to the crankcase?????  I didn't notice any laying about in the video ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version