Author Topic: Winter in Northern California  (Read 477 times)

ajaffa1

• View Profile
Re: Winter in Northern California
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 10:21:33 AM »
Hi Glort, down at the canoe center we have a lot of aeration pumps and a lot of septic tanks, some of which only run during peak season. I have found that the better quality reciprocating pumps will last for years while the cheaper units will only last a year or two. The difference between them is that spares are available for the better units while the cheap Chinese units are a use then throw away unit.
I`ll have a chat with the service guys and see if they have any recommendations. All of these units are lubricant free to protect environmental water, they rely on PTFE wearing surfaces. In the past I have found that a small squirt of silicone based furniture polish can extend their life considerably.

Bob

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
The difference between them is that spares are available for the better units while the cheap Chinese units are a use then throw away unit.

That's the exact reason I decided to repair the High end Pump I have rather than go for a china Type.

I was talking to the guy next door this afternoon and he reckoned he paid half what I did for my repair kit.  o surprises there, needed it in a hurry and that's what happens although that said, I paid half of what some local stealers quoted.
The guy next door is going to get a spare kit as well so I said to give me the guys contact details or just buy 2 sets and I'll buy one off him.

Before I put my organ blower away I'll try it again on the Pump inlet to see if it will push air now the lines are clear.  The pump I have blows 80L Minute, I reckon the centrifugal blower would do about 600Lpm through the same diameter tubing.

Have to get the blowers going for their intended purpose, Oil burners.
A twin blower monster might be good to start again with!

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »
If you want to burn off excess solar (or use some extra battery capacity) just screw one of these into a small hot water heater.
They have a built-in DC adjustable thermostat. No fancy wiring needed. Turns itself on/off.
Note that they are available in a 700 watt/48 volt size also.

I have a 600 watt, 12 volt version that I intend to install soon.

http://mwands.com/store/adjustable-water-heating-element?filter=1

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:41:44 PM by veggie »
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 05:37:17 PM »

Mike,

How did you make out with the storm than hit?
Did the ROID do it's job ?

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 08:04:08 AM »
Storm is here now, and for 1 more day.  Then we get a break of 1 day and 3 more days of rain.

Roads are closing from downed trees, and water ponding in the driveway.  We cut down our leaning trees in the fall, so we should be OK.  3 years ago, a big tree fell just inside the gate, took half a day with the tractor and 30" saw to get the driveway clear.
 The Listeroid can keep the batteries up with about 3 hours run time (8kwh generation) daily

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 11:15:21 AM »
Really interesting reading about the waste systems.  We're on a cesspool system.  It's about 40 years old and still doing fine - I hope.  We're in a very rural area that has mostly 5 acre parcels (about 2.5 acres to a hectare).  That's coming to a close by my brother and sister do-gooders.  Septic tanks are now OK but the super duper septic treatment systems are soon to be the standard.  Our county has no real control or regulation of herbicides but crap in a hole and you'd think we'd poisoned the land for generations to come.  The county sprays the roads with plant killer twice a year but take a piss outside and you're flirting with criminal prosecution.

I'd probably go the grey water way if I didn't have concrete slab floors.  If I were to build new I'd most certainly have an easy modification system ready for the day after permit inspection celebrations.

Say what you might about the human poo for fertilizers some of the longest living societies on the planet do put poo on their veggies. 

Chlorine is feared less than algae.  We are so foolish.  A great weapon against disease but we need not be at war every day.  I often tell visitors that algae means the water is healthy enough to support life and the reactions should be recorded.

One of our mantras:  If you can't sell it or eat it then don't plant it.

Cheers
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 09:04:39 PM »
We have a conventional (non powered) 2 chamber septic system with conventional leach field.

We have some gray water from the shower that we use in summer,  but winter, it goes to the septic system.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 09:32:04 PM »

The county sprays the roads with plant killer twice a year but take a piss outside and you're flirting with criminal prosecution.

Haha!

A rather poignant summation of the attitudes here as well.

I will admit I do have a bit of a personal hang up with Human " Fertiliser"  on anything I'd want to eat.
that said, have various animal crap on said crops does not seem to cause me any consternation in the least.  Never said I was rational or had a balanced view of things.

I agree with the sell it or eat it Mantra.  Always thought Flowers ( although you could sell them) were a waste of garden space.
That said I have put in a mass of sunflowers in the back garden between the shed and the house and they look awesome. Some of them are well over 2M tall and have maybe 20 flowers on them.  The bright yellow stands out and has been a real talking point with visitors and gives the place a real lift.

I will get the seed from this years lot and plant it again in september in my seed raising Fridge so as to try and get a mature lot up By Christmas. Put them out the front and up the driveway as well.

I put in a LOT of corn this spring and it all came up. over 60 plants. I put them as decorative plants  around the back garden next to the sunflowers and along the driveway.  I think it looks great, Mrs rubbished it but everyone that's been here in the last few weeks has said how good it looks and they have never seen that before.  This too is all now taller than me at over 2M and I noticed yesterday some plants have 5 ears on them. Don't know if that's good or bad by farming standards but seems OK to me.

The other thing I have is Tomatoes.
At the last place I grew them in 25L Buckets.  Tried doing them in the ground last year and had little success.  They grew OK but seems there was a lot of problem with pests and birds.  I put them back in the buckets this time and put them just off the back verandah where I can keep a better eye on them and the cats lounging round mean the birds keep away.

These are going Nuts as well and plenty taller than me. they might be in relatively small containers but I am able to keep  the water and fertiliser up to them and use the soil more as a media then a nutrition source.  I planted them all in the ground up manure/ Straw/ wood shavings I got from the equine park and clearly they are loving it. Only really put some epsom salts on them so far. I'll Get some more and make up some liquid and water them with that.

I want to keep them going over winter and trying to rack my brains how. They will need some sort of heating and i'm doing the mental arithmetic how to set them up? In the shed, on the back verandah, with some sort of greenhouse.... I am sure they will need to be insulated from the ground.

I sit here now and look out my office window and everything is Lush and full of life and growing. Lawn is green and over due for a mow when I last did it 6 days ago.  Wont be long and all I see is bare sticks for trees and hoping the plants I revived over the warm months don't fall to the frosts again. I won't need to mow the lawn for at least 4 Months but i'll probably go over it to clean all the leaves and things away.

How the hell people live where snow turns places into frozen hell holes I'll never know.